water weight from exercising...

Options
2»

Replies

• 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comment and ditch the scale. The simple fact is the excercise is better for you than bingeing, if the number on the scale casues you to get anxious and binge, remove offensive scale and weigh once or twice a month. I only weigh once a month and I will tell you it is much less stressful and helps me focus on my long term goal which is being strong and healthy.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Stay off the scale. Give the process time. Do not stop exercise. Do not binge. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    ^ True that. I've put on a stone and a half (about 18lb) in 3 months and I look WAY better than I did at the smaller weight, working out wins! If I'd followed the scales I'd have seen a couple of pounds gained and tried to lose them, by not doing that and following what I looked like in the mirror I allowed myself to get into a much better position than I was and I look better at the same time, result!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Hey so i've been exercising religiously now and i notice that i gain a tremendous amount of water weight from it. Even though I know its water weight it depresses me to see the scale go up when all I've ever wanted was the scale to go down! Sometimes it depresses me so much that i say screw my efforts and binge eat? maybe i should stop exercising IDK what to do??
    That's got to be one of the worst reasons I've heard to give up exercise. You know what is happening, so why would that make you binge eat? I'm not saying I don't understand stress eating, but why not turn this around and see it as a lesson to let go of your emotional attachment to that number on the scale? People think that the number on the scale determines their worth, and the lower the number, the better. People are wrong. The earlier you get your head around that, the happier you'll be.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound possible. Water weight doesn't come from exercise, it comes from diet, more importantly a high sodium diet. If anything, the exercise helps you lose water weight through sweating.

this i wrong. When increasing intensity or starting a new program your muscles will store additional water to protect them from the damage caused by exercise and to aid in recovery.

ETA: already cover by many other posters, sorry nothing more to add
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. It may seem counter productive but your body holds onto more water when you are deydrated. Google it.