An alternative for lunges...

Options
First let me say that I have already checked the other topics and I only saw one that deals with my issue but it doesn't really answer the question. :o)

I injured my knee several years ago and have be unable to do lunges since. I am using a couple of different exercise videos and they all involve doing lunges. I have spoken to my doctor and he gave me some exercises to do to strengthen my knee, hips, etc. to help me to be able to do lunges in the future, however I am quite a long way from being able to do so.

My question is that during the lunges portions of my videos I am currently just stopping and taking a break. I do not want to continue doing this as I do not feel that I am getting the workout that I should be by stopping and taking a break halfway through. So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for an alternative exercise that I could do instead of the lunges. I would like to try and work the same muscle groups if possible but that is not necessary. Thank you very much for the advice!!! :O)

Replies

• valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you just did up/down motion, like sitting on couch, getting back up and doing that
    over and over while the lunges are done. But, dont use your hands, use your abs and legs
    to get back up. Does that make sense ????
    or only in my head ???
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    That does make sense... :o) Kind of like doing squats... that might work :O) I will try that. :o) I don't know why I didn't think of that :o) Thanks!!!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Support yourself against a wall with your legs bent at a 90 angle...hold the position as long as you can

or

use a balance ball between you and the wall and roll the ball up and down until your legs reach a ninety degree angle
  • sparklebritches
    Options
    I've been squatting down to just the very tip top of a chair for squats after killing my ankles with zillions of heavy weighted full range squats, one legged squats and lunges. It is a bummer because all of the videos do seem to have them and they really get the heart rate up!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    How about just dong the exercises that your doctor prescribed during that time? After all, those are supposed to be working the muscles that you would need in order to do lunges in the future. I know that I am terrible at doing my physical therapy exercises so I've been trying to build them into the rest of my workout so they don't seem like such a pain.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    you could try replacing that with a core strengthening excercise like planks or anything on a stability ball.
  • mdeguzman
    mdeguzman Posts: 35
    Options
    You could try standing with your feet shoulder width apart, balance on one leg while bringing the foot of your other leg up till you touch your butt. Then switch
  • TinaAnn25
    TinaAnn25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lunges hurt! Maybe you could hold a squat position for 20 seconds, rest for 10, and then do another 20. You will definitely feel the burn.
  • sparklebritches
    Options
    Bridges are also nice for the bum, especially focusing on one leg at a time and pulsing.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Do you have a platform at about knee height you can do step-ups on?