Weight Loss Halt 3 Weeks In

Options
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum. I have been using my fitness pal for 3 weeks now. It has helped me learn what calories really are and what to eat and not to eat. I am a male (27 yrs old) - 5'10 - started at 312 pounds three weeks ago.

About five years ago I weighed roughly the same and got down to 215 before gaining it all back. I did this in essentially the same way I am doing it now.

I eat roughly 1600 calories a day and go on the elliptical for 30 minutes 4 times a week. Last time around I lost like 6 pounds every week I stuck to my diet. This went until I plateau'd at 215. This time around I lost 6 pounds in each of the first two weeks. This week I lost 0. I actually ate less calories (by like 50) than I did the previous week. Does it make sense to go from 6 pounds a week to 0 just like that while eating the same thing?

Thanks

Replies

• asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Short answer: One week is not a halt or plateau. 6 pounds/week is to fast to be sustainable. However, I can see why you would want to do it. I remember reading somewhere that the body usually can't decompose more than 2 pounds of fat / week.
  • jameslosing
    Options
    I don't expect 6 pounds per week to keep up forever. But I have a lot of weight to lose and the thought of taking two years to get to my goal is extremely unmotivating. One year seems much more doable.

I don't think I have plateau'd, but I just find it really weird that on the third week of a diet with SO much weight to lose I wouldn't lose anything. I find that very weird - especially after eating the same as last week.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I am a male (27 yrs old) - 5'10 - started at 312 pounds three weeks ago.

I eat roughly 1600 calories a day and go on the elliptical for 30 minutes 4 times a week. Last time around I lost like 6 pounds every week I stuck to my diet. This went until I plateau'd at 215. This time around I lost 6 pounds in each of the first two weeks. This week I lost 0. I actually ate less calories (by like 50) than I did the previous week. Does it make sense to go from 6 pounds a week to 0 just like that while eating the same thing?

Thanks

You are not eating anywhere NEAR enough for your age, weight, height. Plus you are working out so you are getting even less..

Read..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything
  • jameslosing
    Options
    And "not eating enough" according to you is a reason to lose 6 pounds in each of the first two weeks and then 0 the week after?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes it makes sense. Weight loss is not linear. You won't lose the same every weight, and it is normal to not lose some weeks, or even gain a little. It's the overall trend that matters. 6 lbs is a lot to lose in a week, even at your starting weight, and it is likely not all fat. Some of that initial loss will be water weight. Be careful about under-eating too much. It can seem like a good idea, but you risk losing more muscle mass than is necessary.
  • jameslosing
    Options
    So people have experienced this during the beginning stages of their diet? I figured this would come down the road, ya know - lose two pounds one weeks, lose zero, lose one, etc... I didn't think it would happen so early on as this was not the case five years ago when I lost like 100 lbs.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Use the military body fat calculator then the goal weight tool, it gives you estimated calorie goals based on your personal stats.

You might not be eating enough and I know it sounds crazy but it happens. Also the initial pounds might be water weight... usually lose fastest the first few weeks.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your weight loss so far, that is an amazing accomplishment!

Second of all, calm down. Weight loss is not linear. You will not lose weight in a consistent manner, no matter WHAT you do. It's kind of like a child growing up, first they grow out, THEN all of a sudden, they grow up. Your weight acts the same, you may not lose for weeks, then suddenly, WHOOSH! 5 pounds gone.

Third, while it's great to set goals, setting expectations of what you think your body MUST do is a perfect setup for failure. Whether it takes one year, or two or three or even more, the important thing is that it happens, NOT the time it takes to get there. You didn't gain all that weight in one year.

Focus on smaller goals. 10 pounds at a time. Lose 10 pounds. Yay, you did that once, now you know you can do it again!

And honestly, I would definitely agree that you are not eating enough given your size, gender, and age. Your body is a machine, it MUST be fueled properly, yes, EVEN to lose weight. Look up and calculate what your approximate BMR and TDEE numbers are, then calculate your calorie needs from there.

Also, since you say that the last time you plateaued, you ended up gaining it all back, this makes me think that PERHAPS you view losing no weight as a failure, and give up at that point when you don't lose weight the way you think you should. DON'T. GIVE. UP. THAT is the most important thing. Not what the scale says.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Your body is not the same 5 years ago as it is today..it is absolutely possible. I lost 80 pounds as a young adult and now being 30, it took me a year to lose 50.

It sounds like you're not eating enough. If you are only eating 1600 and burning calories and NOT eating back those calories, you're eating at a large deficit. The body needs fuel, regardless if it is currently at an overweight state. I still have 100 lbs to lose but I eat around 1800 a day and eat back all my exercise cals when I have them...it's when I'm not eating enough that the scale slows down to turtle speed.

It takes time...it's never exactly how it was then and this and that...be patient, learn how your body works and I promise you, you will succeed. Good Luck.
  • jameslosing
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. Funny enough I really did gain most of that weight in one year. I went from 215 to 315 in probably just about a year.

Are you actually saying that I will lose more weight by eating more? The one thing I noticed was the first two weeks I made sure to have a "cheat day"... This week I did not. I have heard people talk about shocking your body - should I stick to the cheat day?

And yes, you are right - as soon as I stopped losing weight last time around I just gave up. Not gonna happen this time. This is going to be the last time I have to lose a big amount of weight.

It is just frustrating to put in full effort for a week and then be left with nothing to show for it.
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I know it is disheartening to think of it taking multiple years to reach your goal. I have to admit i never lost that much weight, but it is the same as anything worth having: It is never ever free. I have no doubt in my mind you can do it!

However: The reason for taking it slow (in my opinion) is that I would, personally, establish good habits from the beginning rather than lose quickly and then have to learn how to keep it off for the rest of my life. It is not a sprint, it is a marathon!

And you have far too much long term perspective on things. Small goals are the key. They are easier to reach, so you will reach a goal more often. This should be motivating.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    my suggestion is to not focus on "pounds per week" but instead focus on the big picture - achieving goal and improving overall health and well-being..
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You sound just like I used to. When I did slimming world, I dropped 6lb in my first week, then 3lb for the next 3 weeks, then one week... nothing. I gave up there and then.

Patience and perseverance is the key. Oh, and you do need to eat more. I am also 5"10, female, and I weigh 60lb less than you and I eat 1950 cals a day and lose weight.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Are you actually saying that I will lose more weight by eating more?
    It's not about losing more, or faster, because you're losing plenty fast enough already. It's about losing better - making sure that a high a percentage as possible of what you lose is fat, rather than muscle, and preventing negative effects on your metabolism as you lose. There are also psychological benefits to losing slower, especially given the fact that you've yo-yoed before. Try not to look at this as a temporary thing that you have to do to get the weight off (as quickly as possible) but as a permanent/long-term change you have to make. If it takes two years, but stays off forever, isn't that a good thing? Isn't that better than losing it all as fast as possible and finding yourself back here every couple of years doing it again?
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think you are eating enough for your weight, height and age....
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    At least you didn't gain!!! Just be patient and you will see another loss.