failure!

Options
I dont know how to gain self control I do good for three days and have to start all over because i get consumed in all the junk any good tricks?

Replies

• 100x2xLose
    Options
    Let yourself have junk. Then you won't feel deprived and need to binge. You can even set conditions on it, like "I can have one serving of (junk food) IF I get 30 minutes of extra exercise today"

The key is moderation. For example, I was craving ice cream like crazy, so I'm having a 100 calorie ice cream popsicle now that I've gone for a walk today. Just don't overdo it and stay within your calorie limits!
  • JackandJill
    Options
    I find it easier if I don't think I have to have a whole serving of the "junk food" too. For example, I really wanted a cookie today but serving was 4, so I had 1 and made sure I logged it in :-0 good luck, you'll find what works for you:smile:
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    couple of tricks for ya. . .

pizza: i LOVE pizza - so IF i have calories left for one slice i take said slice, cut it into 2 or 3 and eat them - it takes longer, fills the "time for eating" that is otherwise over too fast, and is still the same calories.

snacks: i try not to eat after 8pm, but c'mon, i go to bed at midnight! so, pretzels, carrots (raw) or something in a 100 calorie bag - popcorn, chocolate covered pretzels, rice cakes (white cheddar). . . we just want to snack, which means we want to keep putting food in our face, not just pop in a doughnut and be done eating!

cheats: i hate eating breakfast so i drink ensure, high protein - i like the chocolate and strawberry flavors and they're 230 calories.

and salad, tons and tons of salad, usually served in a tortilla wrap (1/2 the calories of bread but still some carbs!)

good luck (and to tell you the truth, i also added to this post so i could follow other people's suggestions too!!)
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    you only fail when you stop trying. Yes yiu may fall back into the same old habit, but draw a line under it and start again. Tomorow is another day. It takes a while to change your habits but you will get there. Keep at it,, there are plenty of people here for help and support
  • ChrissyM
    ChrissyM Posts: 23
    Options
    I let myself have a treat/snack when I'm craving one. If I don't I'll end up binging later. My trick has been to slow down and savor my treat. It takes longer to eat and I'm satisfied with a lot less of whatever sweet treat I'm eating. I know by allowing treats it's taking me longer to lose the weight but I've also been able to keep off the pounds, even during stressful times. And I'm trying to change my lifestyle forever so that once the weight is gone I don't have to worry about putting it back on because I'm done "dieiting".
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of 'planned' cheats. It works better for some people to allow themselves one 100-calorie junk food treat a day (I couldn't do this, because I would break down and keep eating), others do better with one meal a week, still others can take an entire day off a week (my hubby does this and it has worked for him for 10 years). I'm in the middle - I allow myself one celebration 'meal' a week, if I have 6 good days with no cheats, and get in my planned exercise, etc. Then the 7th day I have one great meal, with desert! It's much easier to say "Not today" than "Not ever".
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As long as you are trying, you will never fail! I let myself have what I want. I think about it first, do I really want it? What I do is, I get the small baggies and put "snack size" things in them. So if I want something, I eat only what is in the baggy and then I don't over do it. When I first started, I took one step forward and 2 back. It is hard in the beginning and gets easier with time. I almost eat the same, just more cautious. I wish you luck!
  • karenpeb
    karenpeb Posts: 23
    Options
    Are you around a lot of temptation? Separate yourself from it if you can.

I put my purse in my trunk when I'm driving around not only for safety, but it makes it impossible for me to be tempted to get fast food at the drive through. I'd have to find a place to park, pop my trunk, get out of my car, get the purse, and get back in the car. Too many steps for me and honestly I'm just too lazy to go through all that.
  • mdeguzman
    mdeguzman Posts: 35
    Options
    Some Awesome ideas here. I try not to buy things that would be tempting. Then I can't eat them cause they are not in the house when I start to get the urge to snack.

But I do have my chocolate every day. I found 26 cal squares of dark chocolate at costco. I keep the bag in the fridge and every night I get to have one for desert. I break it into 4ths and savor each piece. I only get it if I have enough cals left for the day after dinner.

In the beginning I HAD to have my chocolate. Now I sometimes go days with out even noticing I didn't have it.
  • jmiller0906
    jmiller0906 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    At first when I had to really cut back on the sweets to curb my cravings, I would look at the junk food and mentally (or verbally if no one was around) ask mysefl what I wanted more? To lose the weight and change my lifestyle, or the candy bar/chips? I talked myself out of a lot of snacks that way and now I happily live without them daily. But then there are the days when I ask myself the same question and the answer is... a candy bar. So I eat it and move on. I found that dwelling just makes me feel worse, which made me want junk to "feel better". Bad cycle to get into. I agree with the previous posts - if you deprive yourself all the time you may end up binging or if you allow yourself the treat, limit it to one and exercise more. And if it's chocolate cravings (like I have) I keep some dark chocolate minitures in my desk at work. When I get a craving I have one or two (or three) and it's still not a whole serving and dark is better for you then milk chocolate. Hope I helped! :)
  • MiniRose2B
    Options
    Karenpeb; that's too funny! but I might try that if it works, my old habbit was to walk right in (donut shop-fast food) take 2 or 3 bites of the forbidden food and then toss it in the trash, Yes it's wasteful but I did'nt take in the calories. Now I snack on honey roasted peanuts when I want a treat, I measure out 2 ozs. & drink a lot of water with them. Debbie
  • mylittlescreamer
    Options
    Don't worry, we all have a sweet tooth :) Controlling it is a hassle. I agree with most everyone; give yourself a bit of the sugary foods you crave. Maybe you’re not eating enough healthy foods to tie you over so you turn to sweets when you’re hungry. If you’re about to go over your calorie goal and still craving sweets, do something to get away from them, munch on ice cubes, get to doing something that your mind gets distracted...maybe even try exercising. Hope you get this solved :)
  • dcherry88
    dcherry88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i know I am just coming of a bad binge of eating and just restarted my workouts and healthy eating. Without emotional stress/baggage i eat correctly. I let myself have one junk dinner every 7+ days. Might not be great, but it wasnt horrible either. That was also the night I let myself have some ice cream. After that it's back on task, i keep my "binge dinner" seperated out by at a minimum 7 days if i can. I know 9 times out of 10, i feel sick and ashamed for even eating that stuff, guess it makes me remember why i do it.
  • sonnacchio
    sonnacchio Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals for the week. Because I do that, I am able to "plan" when I am going to relax and be good, and when I am going to eat my brains out! For example, tonight we had meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner. I am fine and under my calorie goal because I knew I HAD to work out in order to eat my dinner. I may go over by a little, but never much and I feel like this way I am preparing myself for "real" life. I plan on having a drink with my dinner, and some nights, I even plan on ice cream or popcorn. I guess I believe: "If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail!"

I hope this helps!