Help! Starting in a competition,

Options
Me and a friend are starting a biggest loser competition at a local gym Jan 5th. If we win, we split a thousand dollars.
I'm going to focus on my stomach. I have this ugly pouch I can't seem to get rid of.
I know crunches help, but besides that do you guys have any suggestions???
Also, does anyone know a good workout for the butt?
I need to lose about half of mine.....

Replies

• GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bad *kitten* yo! I will put together a good 'butt' routine and send you the link homie :)
  • lunaliberi
    Options
    Thank you Gabriel :)
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce

good luck
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    So are you trying to lose weight or what? Because crunches aren't going to do that. Not sure what the terms of your competition are
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce

good luck

you can with liposuction
  • lunaliberi
    Options
    No liposuction...
    Not trying to spot reduce, just targeting the stomach more.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Squats are the way forwards, crunches don't really do as much as people tend to make out
  • lunaliberi
    Options
    Losing weight. It's which pair loses the most weight wins the money.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Any kind of meaningful exercise will probably slow your WEIGHT loss. Never understood these challenges at the gym. You lose total body weight vegging on the sofa eating less faster than doing any exercise for your body composition.
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already weighed in yet, then be sure to sodium load and drink lots of water before the initial weigh in. You'll weigh in a little heavy (good for the competition), but you can easily get rid of the water weight.

As for the workouts, I'd say cardio (30-60 minutes) 3-4 days a week. Plus, strength train 2-4 days a week.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already weighed in yet, then be sure to sodium load and drink lots of water before the initial weigh in. You'll weigh in a little heavy (good for the competition), but you can easily get rid of the water weight.

Love the approach! Very innovative. Some people might call it cheating though......
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Any kind of meaningful exercise will probably slow your WEIGHT loss. Never understood these challenges at the gym. You lose total body weight vegging on the sofa eating less faster than doing any exercise for your body composition.

This is pretty much it

If your main goal is to win this competition, don't focus on muscle conditioning or building, just cardio and reasonable calorie deficit.
  • Cwyman1
    Options

Love the approach! Very innovative. Some people might call it cheating though......

Just a easy way to get a little edge on the competition. Adding weights to your body would be cheating. ;-D
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Not trying to spot reduce, just targeting the stomach more.
    "targeting the stomach more" is the same as "trying to spot reduce". Either way, it's not going to work. Fat comes off however your genetics determine it and no exercise, food or supplement is going to "target the stomach".
  • secretlobster
    Options

Just a easy way to get a little edge on the competition. Adding weights to your body would be cheating. ;-D

Yeah, when your competition beats you out for first place by half a pound, you might wish you took advantage of these tactics :P
  • Cwyman1
    Options

This is pretty much it

If your main goal is to win this competition, don't focus on muscle conditioning or building, just cardio and reasonable calorie deficit.

Cardio is great for creating a calorie deficit. But you don't get a sustained burn. Strength training will give you a sustainable burn throughout the day and will help keep the weight off in the long run. In other words if I do cardio for 30 minutes I may burn 400 calories in that 30 minutes. If I strength train for 30 minutes I may burn 150 calories in that 30 minutes, but I may burn 200+ more calories throughout the day due to the sustainable burn.
  • secretlobster
    Options

Cardio is great for creating a calorie deficit. But you don't get a sustained burn. Strength training will give you a sustainable burn throughout the day and will help keep the weight off in the long run. In other words if I do cardio for 30 minutes I may burn 400 calories in that 30 minutes. If I strength train for 30 minutes I may burn 150 calories in that 30 minutes, but I may burn 200+ more calories throughout the day due to the sustainable burn.

Most women see initial gain in water weight when they start a strength training routine. I'm not talking about a great fitness routine for the long run, I'm talking about a short-term goal for a competition where the winning gauge will be less weight on the scale.