Difficult question...

Options
I have decided to try Alli. I know it can have some embarrassing side effects, but it is the only pill I have read about that's FDA approved, and it doesn't seem to cause anxiety. Has anyone tried it? Negative/positive results??? I have reached a plateau, (eating healthy and excercising regularly). I hope this works!

Replies

• lacy100
    lacy100 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have decided to try Alli. I know it can have some embarrassing side effects, but it is the only pill I have read about that's FDA approved, and it doesn't seem to cause anxiety. Has anyone tried it? Negative/positive results??? I have reached a plateau, (eating healthy and excercising regularly). I hope this works!
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    what isi t?
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Just be careful little lacy...I haven't heard a lot of great stuff about it.

Just be careful. :frown:
  • Dropka
    Dropka Posts: 72
    Options
    i tired it. liked it but it will let you know if you ate too much fat. you can spend some time in the potty. and... shall i say, the appearance, may be a little different, when you get up.
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    i would consult your doctor about it. even though it's FDA approved, it could still have a very negative effect on your body. think about some of the things FDA approves....

i was at a plateau for months and months! but honestly, the weight has stayed off and that is because i have done it slowly. it took me over a year to lose 20 pounds and maintain it.

another thing about diet pills, once you lose the weight from them and then discontinue the pills, the weight will come right back on.

sorry to be such a debbie downer, but just make sure you have all the facts!!

ps: if you're doing the same workout routine/eating the same foods, switch it up! that may help to alleviate the plateau you're experiencing
  • lacy100
    Options
    It's a weight loss pill that prevents your body from absorbing 100% of the fat you eat. The pill is supposed to allow you body to pass up to 50% of the fat.
  • B4baby3
    B4baby3 Posts: 17
    Options
    Alli is an over-the-counter diet pill. It is the only FDA approved diet pill sold over the counter. It is supposed to be used by only those that are significantly overweight, and it doesn't appear that you fit that category. It used to be a prescription called Xenical and it was very effective if you eat a low fat diet, however if you eat too much fat you won't like the side effects. So be careful, I really think you don't need it, you seem skinny now. Just be careful!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Though everyone is different, I feel that taking a pill isn't the best way to break through a plateu, though it is easier. Have you tried to mix up your workout? maybe instead of running every other day (or whatever you do :smile: ) try kick boxing or power pilates or something? Maybe even adding in calories to fuel your body (it may have gone into starvation mode....which is normal :smile: )

Ultimately, if you have any concerns, your pharmicist or doctor will have the best info on it.

:flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the stuff everyone was talking about last month where some people had to wear Depends Adult Diapers when they were taking it because it caused so many "issues"?

I'd search the forums for it and think you might change your mind.

By the way, If that's you in the photo, you like great already!
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I think the prevention of fat absorbtion is pointless if you are eating propperly.

You want to get rid of the fat you have already absorbed no?

I'd stay away from it.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't know if Alli is right for you, if you only have 15 pounds to take off. I thought it was for 25 pounds or more.

As for side effects, this is taken from their site:

"I understand that if I take alli with a meal containing too much fat, I may get bowel changes known as treatment effects. The effects may include gas with oily spotting, loose stools, and more frequent stools that may be hard to control. Why? Because alli prevents absorption of some of the fat, and undigested fat passes through the body."
  • Liana25
    Liana25 Posts: 31
    Options
    You have to be around 10-11 pounds from a healthy BMI to take it. I've used it and if you are already below the target fat range with your diet then it won't provide a benefit which is the case for what I'm doing now but if you are over the target it will help but will also have more side effects.
  • lacy100
    Options
    Yikes! I didn't read about the "depends issues". Thanks for the compliment. That's a really good picture!!! haha. I have lost 20 lbs, and I just want 10 to 15lbs more. Based on my height, 15 lbs will still be within the healthy range based on my BMI. Also, I take group exercise classes, ie: kickboxing, pilates, yoga, body pump, spin. I don't know how I can mix it up anymore that that. :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    So how many calories a day are you consuming--total? And, after you exercise? How many times a week are you exercising?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard much about Alli, however I am not sure the "risk" is worth it.
    Your body needs some fat to function correctly.
    Also, what happens when you reach your weight and go off the drug....when you eat "normally" will you gain the weight back cause now your body can absorb the fat again?!?! Sounds fishy to me. Trust me, I've tried tons of different pills none of it sticks.

Maybe you are working your body too hard (is that possible)? I mean, I am sure you are eating your exercise calories, right?
  • Noooooooooo!!!!!! :noway:

I'm sorry, that was just my first reaction - here is an explanation:

FDA approved doesn't mean totally safe - it means that the FDA has said "Hey, this could work for losing weight, too".

As with any other weight loss program, Alli recommends diet and lifestyle changes with exercise and supplements including a good multi vitamin and calcium among them.

https://www.advocare.com/0702385/Resources/FAQ/Answer.aspx?recno=614&category=GH

For more information on FDA regulations, Alli or other weight loss supplements please email me off post. The "FDA approved" or "not evaluated by the FDA" disclaimers are often misquoted and misinterpreted to suit individual desires.

I took a look at your profile and if that is a current picture of you, then I do not believe that Alli is what you are looking for. What are your goals? Alli is kind of expensive to your pocket book and your health. The health issues are noted in the above link.

I hope this is helpful.