Wii Fitness Questions

Options
Hi. I am a bit disabled in my back and right leg. But I am able to ride my recumbent stationary bike and walk at times. Am looking to add a WII Fit to my workout room. My wife works out with me and loves to dance and is a fine dancer :wink:

We love to workout at home together and have a great cul de sac in the woods to walk as well. However, wanting some variety that does not take up much space.

Questions per the Wii:
1. Do you recommend?
2. What fitness games are the best?
3. Are there fitness games that would work for me?
4. Would like to hear your success stories.
5. Do I need the "fit" version?

Thanks much in advance!

Big D...but not as bit as I was... :laugh:

Replies

• farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    We have a wii. The bowling game is quite fun. There is also a fencing game and some others in the wii resort. They get you moving and that's what counts. We also have the Country Dance Games. Those are a lot of fun!! The wii is what you make of it. I don't have wii fit so I don't know anything about that, but I do know the other's work!! Good luck!!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit is more of a game than an exercise program. It gets you moving but it's not a big calorie burner and you won't gain any strength from it.

There's lots of fitness "games" for the Wii. EA Active has 3 different games that are very good, Gold's Gym Cardio boxing is a good workout, there's Zumba if you like dancing, Biggest Loser, Just Dance and a ton of others depending on how much effort you want to put into it.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I have the WII at home and have done wii fit and the biggest loser game for WII. Biggest loser game gave a great work out, only annoying part is you have to use the remote to do certain exercises and sometimes it is a pain.

My parents just got Xbox Kinect and that made me DRIP sweat playing it. Due to your restrictions, I think wii may be a bit better as Xbox fitness games really make you work (lifting your knees up while running, boxing, long jump etc.)

Both are great tools. Just ensure if you get the wii, you get the balance board as well.
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have some of the dance games you can borrow to see if you like them :)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii. I have the Wii Fit Plus and I rented Just Dance from Redbox. I would recommend it to get you moving but you wont burn a ton of cals doing it.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree about Wii not burning many calories. I do Will Zumba with my heart rate monitor on and burn 460 calories in 50 minutes. It depends on what you're doing and how much you move. If you do want to move, then Just Dance is a lot of fun that you would enjoy with your wife.
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Before I bought my elliptical I used EA Sports Active 2 for the Wii and it has tons of different exercises. I made my own routine instead of using the ones already set up. I liked doing the step aerobics and boxing. Definitely gets you moving and I would burn around 400 calories in an hour doing that. So you could make your own routine based on what you are comfortable doing.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have spinal injuries that affect my neck, back and legs at time also, as well as severe arthritis in my knees, so I understand your limitations. The recumbent bike has been a big help for me as well.
    I have recently started doing the boxing program on the Wii Sports game that came with my console. It is a great cardio workout for me, because I punch as hard and as fast as I can, and have maxed my heart rate using it. I also can feel it in my upper body muscles. You can also do it sitting down if you need to.
    I am getting the Wii Fit bundle from a friend tomorrow and am going to try some of the exercises on it.
    I have heard great things about EA Sports Active, and the Golds Gym Cardio boxing, and want to try those in the future.

Best wishes for your continued improvement. At your current level, probably anything that will keep you moving and active will be good for you.