Portion Distrtion

Options
Found this article and it seems relevant to all looking for some dietary information.

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/portion-distortion

Research: Recent studies show why we overeat—and offer practical clues on controlling the size of our meals, snacks and drinks.

Over the past few decades, portion sizes of everything from pizza to bagels have swelled by an average of two to five times in America (Young 2006).

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Do you think portion sizes have gotten larger to make us fat?

Or do you think we are fat and demanded larger portion sizes?
  • britt574
    Options
    Very Informative! Thanks Mr. Bobtridle. I find it especially helpful now, with the holiday looming.
  • gregarybrown72
    gregarybrown72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat away from home, whatever it is, I eat only half and save the rest for the next day. I don't trust the potions sizes or the calories counts.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I have switched to using a salad plate for my dinners. I think it is 8" in diameter instead of 10".

Honestly, I think the psychology of filling the plate, even though it's smaller, helps with the feeling of satiety
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I want to go to the restaurant with the largest portion with the cheapest prices, I demand my moneys worth.....no that can't be right:grumble: .
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    Do you think portion sizes have gotten larger to make us fat?

Or do you think we are fat and demanded larger portion sizes?

Exactly this^^^^
  • CacophonyJen
    Options
    Really interesting stuff - thanks for sharing! I know the kitchen scale and the measuring cups have been my friends on my journey so far, because I really had no clue when it came to portion sizes. The red tablewear thing is really interesting though - I'll have to try it! Danger! Danger! Yummy food here! :D
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I started smaller plates before mfp journey began and it really does help.I use bowls to serve in now and they make the food look like lots! Am staggered by portion sizes and food left or doggy bagged (this is not expected in uk)when travelling in USA:-)