Exercises to do while foot is broken?

Options
I broke my foot on Saturday while playing soccer. I can't put any weight on it.

I was doing really great with exercise before then. I was running, spinning, and doing bodyrock. I think I can modify the bodyrock and only do abs and upper body and things I can do on one leg. But I'm not sure what to do for cardio. I don't have access to a pool. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    What about seated shadow boxing?

Hope you have a speedy recovery :smile:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    kegels
  • lizard00
    lizard00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You're right on that one! All this hoping around is killing me.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    When I broke my foot I was able to ride a bike, as long as I had my surgical boot on. The only problem I had was with hills, I couldn't stand up on the bad foot so I pedaled in 1st gear, sometimes with only the good foot and it worked great, although at times I looked like the wind could blow me backwards because I was going so slow. Just don't ride while taking pain pills. :)

Good luck and I pray you recover quickly!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    When I broke my ankle a while back, I continued to do weights. It wasn't the calorie scorcher like cardio...but it was something and I just watched what I ate. Then after a few weeks when the bone was better healed, I did something non jarring like the bike or elliptical.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had a similar injury and I did a lot of upper body work. I mainly had to use the machines because I couldn't carry heavy weights. I was also able to pilates since the class is core work done on the floor. For cardio, my gym has bikes that you pedal with your arms. I like the seated shadow boxing suggestion.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Are you in a boot or cast?

I broke my second and third metatarsals in September and was in a boot and on crutches. I took a week off after the diagnosis, then went back to the gym. I was able to handle the elliptical and stationary bike without any pain.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    On a side note...if you are in a cast...you may want to wait on the sweating...could get kind of stinky. :laugh:
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Also, my doc said I could bike as long as it didn't cause pain. The first month I couldn't bike but the last few weeks I was able to do that pain free.
  • Arrista
    Arrista Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like the idea about the seated shadow boxing. You could try windmills with your arms at least to get your hear rate up. Another thought is if you have excersize bands, find a secure spot to wrap them around, sit on the ground or a chair and use is like a rowing machine. You'll have guns of steel, but it should get your heart rate up...

Wishing you a speedy recovery :flowerforyou:
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    I broke my foot 11/25 but only had to wear a boot for 2 weeks, so depending on the severity of your break this may not apply to you. For cardio, I wore my boot and did some boxing while standing up (with the boot on), but I focused more on lifting heavy for those two weeks. I didn't do any standing leg lifts, though; only seated or lying down (extensions, hamstring curls, etc.). My doctor said I can now do recumbent bike (DON'T bike outside -- most people tend to put more pressure on their foot that way than on a stationary bike). The best thing would be to go to the doctor and have him/her tell you what you can do. If you give your foot time to rest at the beginning, you can more quickly get back into the activities you enjoy.

On a personal note, I'm looking at my busted foot as an opportunity to focus on lifting heavier and really pushing my body in that way!

I hope you have a speedy recovery -- a broken foot can be really frustrating.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    Bahahaha kegels.
  • MrsAzriel
    MrsAzriel Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot in October. I was on crutches for a week, limped for two after that, and then dealt with the discomfort. If you can balance and you have any knowledge of martial arts at all you can do what I did. I stood with just the tip of my boot touching the ground and did my punching combos. I kicked with my bad foot since I couldn't stand on it.

By two weeks out I was very slowly and carefully walking a mile a day. It will hurt. Foot breaks hurt really bad, but the pain was less to me that the mental irritation from being helpless.

Best wishes to a speedy recovery.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have two bum knees, so I have to get creative about my exercise. There are several videos on YouTube aimed at handicapped folks, some you can even do whilst sitting in a chair.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you go to a gym. Some gyms have a machine called a crank, which is a hand bike. Otherwise you can lift!