Another spaghetti squash question...

Options
Since we're on the topic of spaghetti squash...

Whenever I try to cook spaghetti squash in the oven, no matter how long I cook it, it never gets tender.

However, when I cook it in the crock pot it comes out perfect. Except for one thing. It's watery as all heck. Once I add sauce, the water from the squash makes a big huge red watery mess.

I've tried squeezing it out with a towel, but that only helps so much. Would you suggest roasting it to try to evaporate some of the water?

Replies

• bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I microwave mine. Put a slice in each side of the squash and microwave 6 min, flip, then microvave other side for 6 minutes. Quick and comes out tender with a little crunch.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    ^ What they said. I microwave mine. It's faster and comes out good. I cut in half length-wish and microwave covered on a dish for about 6-7 mins.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I tried another way of microwaving last week-

Cut it in half and scoop out the seeds as you would if you were going to bake it. Pour 1/4 c water into the hollow and place the piece back on top. Place on a dish that it won't roll around on in the microwave (I put mine on top of a square cereal bowl so it wouldn't move/spill) and microwave for 10 minutes. It came out perfect. Make sure to be careful when you take it out, if there's water inside that doesn't evaporate, it's REALLY hot.
    [You may need more than 1/4c water if it's a large squash, I'm the only one who eats it in my house so I buy relatively small ones.]
  • Thanks guys. I'll try microwaving it this time!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I tried another way of microwaving last week-

Cut it in half and scoop out the seeds as you would if you were going to bake it. Pour 1/4 c water into the hollow and place the piece back on top. Place on a dish that it won't roll around on in the microwave (I put mine on top of a square cereal bowl so it wouldn't move/spill) and microwave for 10 minutes. It came out perfect. Make sure to be careful when you take it out, if there's water inside that doesn't evaporate, it's REALLY hot.
    [You may need more than 1/4c water if it's a large squash, I'm the only one who eats it in my house so I buy relatively small ones.]

This is an awesome idea, I can't wait to try it!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I roast mine in the oven. Halve, sprinkle with salt and pepper, turn open-face side down on a cookie sheet, and cook at 375 for 40 minutes.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I roast mine in the oven. Halve, sprinkle with salt and pepper, turn open-face side down on a cookie sheet, and cook at 375 for 40 minutes.
    This is what I do except I put a tiny bit of water in the bottom of a baking dish and roast it face down. Perfect every time!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    pretty much the same as the others roasting in the oven... If I dont cut it in half I stab it several times with a knife and let it cook for an hour. let it cool and cut and scoop!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Puncture the whole spaghetti squash with a skewer or knife all the way around.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Place in a shallow baking pan (whole, do not cut in half) and put in oven

Cook for 1 hour

Then cut open, clean out seeds and use a fork to get your tender spaghetti squash :D