Easy Vegetarian Recipes?

Options
Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any easy vegetarian recipes? My cooking knowledge is very limited so anything would be much appreciated! I've attempted chili, which came out ok, and whole wheat pasta with veggies. Any ideas?

Thanks so much, and happy holidays, everyone!

Replies

• oregon_heather
    Options
    The problem with eating vegetarian, I've found is that much of the time food requires more preparation. In order to compensate for that I usually make casseroles, I fill two pans and freeze one. That being said one recipe that is a staple in my diet when I am in a hurry is a Yumm bowl. Cafe Yumm is a restaurant in the Pacific Northwest. I have adapted their menu to make it at home. Black beans, rice, avacodo, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream (for the non-vegan), black olives, hot sauce and the dressing from the recipe below. I make the beans and brown rice ahead of time and leave them in the freezer. You will also find a steamer and pressure cooker will make your life easier. I don't eat canned food since I don't eat processed food due to GMO and BPA so I always use dried beans.
    Ingredients:
    •1/2 cup tahini
    •1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    •1/4 cup soy sauce
    •1 tbsp lemon juice
    •1/2 tsp salt
    •3 cloves garlic
    •1/2 cup water
    •2 tbsp dried parsley
    •1 tbsp sugar
    •1/2 cup oil

Preparation:

Add all the ingredients, except for the oil to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth and creamy. Slowly add oil until well mixed. Dressing will be thick, but you can always add a bit more water if you prefer a thinner consistency.
  • GrahamRowe
    Options
    I like Caribbean recipes for their flavor. you can check out where I learned some here:

http://www.vegetarianmagic.com
  • naveed1naveed
    Options
    I'd love to recommend a chinese wok made of black iron and a natural-gas burner to get your dinner ready
  • jc112486
    jc112486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bean tacos. Just sautee some veggies and beans, add spices, and top with an avacado. I could eat them every day! Also, try quinoa. It's a great source of protein.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I made vegetarian red beans and rice in the crockpot today. If you haven't got a crockpot I imagine you'd be able to do the same in a lidded casserole popped into the oven.

Here: http://www.diannesdishes.com/2011/02/vegetarian-slow-cooker-red-bea.html

Vegetable curries are also really easy and you can make them with frozen veg.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Invest in a slow cooker, and get hold of a recipe book for slow cookers would be my suggestion.
    Easiest things to make are stews and casseroles really, just a matter of throwing in a load of veggies, some beans/tofu/TVP and some stock and/or herbs and spices.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This soup is incredible and healthy!

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 large onions, chopped
    3 large cloves garlic, minced
    2 heaped teaspoons ground coriander
    2 heaped teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    3/4 teaspoons paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
    1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt (to begin with), then to taste
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    7 cups vegetable broth
    1 24-ounce can crushed tomatoes
    2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed and picked over
    a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
    juice of 1 lemon
    a small splash of red wine vinegar (about 1/2 tablespoon)
    3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
    Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, and allspice. Cook for another minute or two, stirring to coat the onions. Add the broth, tomatoes and salt, and bring to a boil. Pour into a slow cooker, and stir in the lentils. Cook for 4 to 5 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low, or until the lentils are tender.

Stir in the lemon juice, a small splash of red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, cilantro, and parsley. Season to taste again with kosher salt. Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

From: http://spoonwithme.com/2011/01/30/moroccan-lentil-soup/

I usually make it without wine vinegar and lemon juice, or whatever else I don't have at the time. It's still good.