Fact or Fiction? You Must Drink 8 Glasses of Water Daily

Options
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

I came across this article during some research on how much water I really need to drink each day since most days I struggle with consuming 64 oz of water.

I saw something similar mentioned in Parade magazine from last Sunday's newspaper.

Replies

• mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I understand it isn't necessary, but I drink 64 ounces each day because it helps my complexion and it also keeps me from overeating.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    We're probably fine just drinking when we're thirsty. Complicating factors might include various medical problems and activity level. If you eat tons of sodium, drink a little extra water.

I think sometimes people probably make this more complex than it has to be.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Myth, drink when you feel thirsty or want to drink. Most people get more than enough fluid in their day without pushing water.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if your pee is dark yellow, drink some water

if your pee is a lovely pale yellow, praise your King
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    Must you drink 8 glasses of water daily or you die? no.
    Is it healthy to drink 8 glasses of water daily? I would say yes.

I think all of our bodies are different so one person may require more water than another. Plus we all eat differently. It's just a general idea to follow but not the end of the world if you don't.
  • gregarybrown72
    gregarybrown72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm very active. I will go to the gym a burn 1800-2000 calories per workout between cardio and basketbal. I rarely ever drink that much water. maybe 1 or 2 bottles a day, max. I do eat 2-3 bannanas so that might help.
  • bootifulisa
    Options
    Also I'd like to point out depending on the weather too you should increase your water intake. I know I have to drink alot more water during the winter or I get dehydrated because of IA weather.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I literally can't drink 8 glasses of water a day, I start sloshing and feeling sick if I do! My limit is typically more around six glasses a day (or three big ones) and that works just fine for me, so whatever works best for you!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Lesson learned, courtesy Tina Fey's Bossypants: if someone says you "must" do something, it means you don't have to. For example, no one says "you MUST inhale and exhale." More water is usually healthier than less water, but you're a grown up. Drink however much water you want.
  • tubaman58
    Options
    Please note that although water is better for you than other fluids, you can hydrate using almost any drink.....

That has to be taken into account when you are totalling up the 64 oz

If you drink 36 or 48 oz of soda or tea, you won't have room (or need) for for a full 64 oz...

There are good reasons to drink a lot of water, but don't obsess about it...
    :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses of water thing appears to come from a misquoting of a single scientific study. In truth, the ideal liquid intake for a human is said to be around 8 glasses, however this could be via fluids in food or indeed ANY liquid. Several animal species get almost ALL of their fluid intake from foods and have no 'water' intake.

It is suggested that upping fluid intake helps to lose weight. This is probably because people are dehydrated and CAN confuse this with hunger. The pee test is a good guide, but I've seen several people suggesting aiming for clear pee - which is not good and could mean you are stressing your kidneys. Pale straw is a better aim

Many people seem to stress out about what constitutes water intake. The pedantic answer of course is - only water. The practical answer is, any fluids from any sources. Quantity is flexible and depends on a number of factors - temperature, environment, activity level etc.