Help - not "into" it?

Options
mirgss
mirgss Posts: 275 Member
Hi everyone:
Not sure if I need advice/motivation or what. My last 2 runs have been dismal - can't even run 2 miles. Typically I will run 3 - 4 miles and my last run before these last 2 was 4.6 outside. I took a couple weeks off (sick and then lazy) but I'm not sure if that's it. I just can't seem to focus, and my breathing is messed up - seems like I'm breathing harder despite running slower. I haven't changed anything - still eating the same types of things, in the same amounts...so I'm not really sure what the problem is. Any ideas? If this had just been one run, I wouldn't think anything of it, but at this point I'm starting to get frustrated and depressed.

Thanks for any help :)

Miranda

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    maybe try to switch someone up... run at a new spot, add some new music (this one always gets me excited), give yourself a little challenge. If you can run 2.5 miles you get to do ______.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    maybe try to switch someone up... run at a new spot, add some new music (this one always gets me excited), give yourself a little challenge. If you can run 2.5 miles you get to do ______.

It probably was the couple weeks off. It takes a lot of time to get back into running. I took 2 days off and i felt it on my run yesterday, it was a hard 3 miles.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    How about making sure you cover the whole distance of the 4 miles, even if it's not all running. Give yourself points, like the next road sign. "Okay, I can stop after the next road sign", and do that for a few road signs and you might find in reaching these mini-goals, that you are completing farther than your last couple of runs. That's what I have to do when I have a slow start getting back into it.

Glad you are feeling better. Now get to it!
  • Phatdaddymike
    Options
    id say its due to your sickness......maybe the ol lungs arent fully recouped yet....just do what you can and keep at it..if i didnt notice a improvement after a few more runs..id maybe go to a doc...hope all turns out well
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    A trainer I used to know had said at one point that taking a week off can be like taking a month off. Since you were sick and whatever else that prevented you from exercising, your body loses some of its skill. All is not lost though, give yourself a little time and you'll be back on track. It usually takes me about 2 weeks to get back to where I used to be. Plus, if you've been sick, listen to your body. Your lungs may still be recovering.

Good luck! :)
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I get this sometimes - if possible, try a different type of exercise for a while. Good luck!
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That is great advice, Lulubella....:smile:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    id say its due to your sickness......maybe the ol lungs arent fully recouped yet....just do what you can and keep at it..if i didnt notice a improvement after a few more runs..id maybe go to a doc...hope all turns out well
    I agree 100% with this. I had some cold that messed up my runs for a couple of weeks. Even though I couldn't feel the sickness anymore it was settled in my chest and all my runs felt like garbage. When it passes you should hopefully feel a lot better.
  • vpocino
    vpocino Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had similar issues but have not been able to peg whether it is motivational, physical or diet, but I snap out of it by running interval sessions on the road, track or treadmill. I really think your body gets bored running the same distances at the same speeds or pace. You have to challenge your body- get thru the tough breathing and push.

Jog at a slow pace for 2 minutes and sprint for 30 seconds followed by jog for 30 and so on until you've run at least ten times. This gets your metabolism fired up and will take you 30 minutes.

The next time reverse it- walk for 30 seconds and jog hard for 2 minutes at 75% of max effort.
  • washingtonn
    Options
    What helps me is having someone to run with. Running on my own is very challenging. Lately I have had a hard time breathing in the afternoon and I am thinking it has something to do with all the allergens in the air because I can run the same route in the morning before everything is stirred up into the air without a problem.

Just my thoughts....
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've got some great ideas here. Reading these boards always helps motivate me too :) I'm hoping to get outside today - supposed to be gorgeous out. Thanks again! I'll let you know how it goes.
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You might try mixing your running with walking while your lungs recover. I made myself a playlist so I wouldn't have to wonder if I've gone far enough to cover the distance I want to go. My playlist is 3 slower songs for a walking warmup, two rockin' songs for jogging, a slower song for walking, 2 more fast, etc. It goes for an hour like that, with 3 walking songs at the end to cool down. I really enjoy the variety that way, and I get in 30 minutes of running and 30 minutes of walking.