I get dizzy/lightheaded when I work out.

Options
Especially when I am lifting weights..
even little baby ones
All the machines say "stop if you feel dizzy..."
Do I really need to stop?
Is there any way I can fix this?

Replies

• vader0677
    Options
    do you eat before you work out? if not you should. not a big meal though.
  • fearless_
    Options
    I usually drink a protein shake + a fruit before I go,
    but I'll try to eat more
  • robinsonmama
    robinsonmama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maygan I have the same issue too. Sometimes I feel like I am going to be sick as well!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Do you drink enough?

I don't know the answer, sorry.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Could be your bodies just not accustomed to working out with such intensity and volume. Just dial your workout back a bit and see how you go, if it still persists see your doctor, do not self diagnose.

Have a look at this video, I think this is the same problem you have, the video y Elliott Hulse, one of the few men I look up to in this world.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUWACwjzao&feature=share&list=UU0ASolYU_Yh3yShLFQC0stg
  • lovelight30
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, eat beforehand, and don't overdo it.

If you get dizzy as soon as you start exercising, I'd go see a doctor about that. It might be something more serious.

Just a note:: I was getting dizzy during exercising and I went to the doctor and I had a brain tumor. Not saying that's what it is, but be aware of your body's signals.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

If you get dizzy as soon as you start exercising, I'd go see a doctor about that. It might be something more serious.

Could just be overexertion, but it might be something that needs treatment/monitoring. Get yourself checked out! :flowerforyou:
  • fearless_
    Options
    I drink lots of water,
    maybe I will see a doctor, because I don't feel like I'm overdoing it,
    things just get funky
    thanks everyone :)
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of obvious, but I had that problem and it took me MONTHS to realize that I was holding my breath without knowing it, and taking shallow breaths.
  • fearless_
    Options
    I'll check out that video asap

and haha breathing, that could be it too
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have really low blood pressure and used to get really dizzy when working out because of it.

long story short, went to the dr, got it under control. Not fixed, but manageable.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    The only time I have ever felt this way is when I got dehydrated.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of obvious, but I had that problem and it took me MONTHS to realize that I was holding my breath without knowing it, and taking shallow breaths.

This occured to me also. This and hydration.
  • shawnteahsing
    shawnteahsing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me, also. I too thought I was drinking alot of water. But I started drinking even MORE water and now I don't have headaches anymore. So maybe try drinking more h2o.
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    if you can, i would check your blood pressure before you work out and then during a period of dizziness if/when it happens again. make sure its not cardiac related before you delve into nutrition possibilities. if you have a significant rise OR fall in blood pressure, that means that your body is not handling the workout and you should stop. if this continues, i would see a doc..make sure there is nothing medical before you put it off and say its nothing! :)
  • dmh0204
    Options
    I still get this, and it sucks. Because you're at the gym, or wherever, and you're all ready to work out, and all of the sudden you feel sick and dizzy and start getting tunnel vision. For me, it's low blood sugar. I can run and do other cardio on an empty stomach, but I can't lift worth anything unless I have eaten well. So, not a protein shake or a power bar or some fruit. Like a meal. Like an omelet, or a chicken sandwich, or spaghetti. And at least an hour or so before, so you have digested it and it is in your system. I find I have the biggest problem in the morning, probably because I don't usually give myself enough time to digest the food before I start to lift.

Other causes are dehydration and low blood pressure, as others have said. Try to be up and walking around at least an hour before trying to lift.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    It is most likely breathing. You're not getting enough oxygen into your body so you become lightheaded and dizzy. I don't think it's dehydration because people usually live without water for a long while before they start hallucinating and feeling dizzy.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I was gonna ask if you were breathing correctly during your workouts but I see that it's been mentioned already.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You should have real food before strength training but not immediately before. A good mix of carbs and protein is important.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Only machine I really get lightheaded from is the legpress/hacksquat machines, with heavy freeweight exercises it happens a lot more often, I always considered this normal after a hard set.