alcohol question

Options
I have read over and over that alcohol slows your metabolism, weight loss, etc.

It seems like it would make your body less efficient and would then actually cause you to burn more calories to do the same things. Nothing else works better- motor skills, thought processes, vision, etc., so why would your drunken body suddenly be able to do more on less?

I guess I have nothing bigger to ponder today.

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You really want to hit the treadmill when you're wasted?
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Oh the visual.....lmao!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Oh the visual.....lmao!!

Anyone interested in making the YouTube video can split ad royalties with me.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't like the treadmill sober or otherwise!

Not a big drinker anymore but just wonder about this because so many people ask about it. I'm genuinely curious if it really has an impact or if the other behaviors (like eating crappy while drinking) are the true culprits to the sentiment. I'd guess people grossly underestimate their intake (food and beverage) while drinking- and just blame the alcohol. Most alcoholics I have known were really skinny, even those with "big appetites."
  • Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's not really about the calories burned it's about the fact that when there is alcohol in your system your body metabolizes that first and has to burn off the liquor calories before it can burn the food you ate, let alone the stored fat that anyone trying to lose weight is trying to get at. Even if it were to take you more calories to use your motor skills for whatever you're doing when you're drinking; your metabolism is working to burn the calories of what you are drinking. Pair that with the fact that people genearlly don't burn THAT many calories with the activities they would be doing while drinking whether they be dancing, playing bocce or cheering at a sports event, you're not burning the booze calories off with the activities you are doing let alone the calories from any food you have eaten along with the beer/vodka/wine. I know there is more to it than this but I'm not scientific. The tip that I have heard that works for me (if you're someone that wants to drink and not totally mess up your weight loss) is don't eat and drink together. If you're having three drinks your body has much more of a hope of burning off those calories - if you're having three drinks and a burger, fries, cheese plate or whatever it may be - there's no hope in burning off that food in addition to the liquid calories you've ingested. Don't know if this helps - but hopefully! I drink about once a week and have still managed to steadily drop weight. I plan for the calorie intake and also drink wine and vodka fresca or vodka soda instead of my old stand by of peach cider and strongbows! Cheers!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    DRINK IT ALL!

I do...and have had good success.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    You forgot to mention how incredibly good looking it makes you!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    There has been nights that I have had a bit too much to drink and then remember that I still need to go to the gym. back then the gym was a block away so I'd stagger over and get an awesome workout in. for some reason I could lift more when I was drunk, and my joints didn't hurt at all when lifting heavy.

the workouts were awesome but my weight stayed the same.

I can't do that anymore because the gym is too far away to walk now :grumble:
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Oh the visual.....lmao!!

Anyone interested in making the YouTube video can split ad royalties with me.

Too late, myth busters already took care of that.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I personally don't drink, and I don't think there's anything wrong with moderate alcohol consumption. But if you're getting plastered once or more a week, it's probably going to hinder your fitness goals at lease somewhat.

What you do is up to you, but excessive alcohol consumption has a negative effect on effect on endocrine status, sleep quality, neural drive, tissue quality, and recovery from exercise
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    It's not the booze, but rather the munchies it gives me that sabotages. When I drink I lose all inhibition and eat like a lumberjack. Sad but true.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options

You have to admit... that almost sounds a little bit fun.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The water retention will get you too when you drink. I go out about once a month and yeah theres usually a dinner involved, but there i can make smart choices. I have noticed that it usually takes 3 days to get rid of the water weight and get back to the weight i was just before drinking, then it starts going down again. I average about 1.5lbs a week even with the fluctuations with drinking (6 or 7 beers in a night)
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    I'm not sure how it metabolizes but most alcohol is nothing but liquid calories. The phrase "beer gut". That's why they make the brand Skinny drinks. Like Skinny Cocktails, Skinny Cosmos, Skinny Margaritas and of course light beer. Everything that I've heard (heard, not researched) is that alcohol is not good for anyone dieting, other than moderation of course. Same thing goes for a lot of Starbucks drinks, some medium drinks can be upwards of 400 calories. Just my thoughts.

There has been nights that I have had a bit too much to drink and then remember that I still need to go to the gym. back then the gym was a block away so I'd stagger over and get an awesome workout in. for some reason I could lift more when I was drunk, and my joints didn't hurt at all when lifting heavy.

the workouts were awesome but my weight stayed the same.

I can't do that anymore because the gym is too far away to walk now :grumble:

L.M.A.O.!!!!! If I even tried to go to the gym while boozing it up, I would kill myself! I do the elliptical, so it takes concentration not to fall and bust my face sober, let alone intoxicated! But ugghh, I wouldn't be able to stand that nastiness of the alcohol in my sweat, but maybe that helps with getting no hangovers
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You forgot to mention how incredibly good looking it makes you!

no, alcohol makes you good looking... hiccup... how ewe doin??