Is this fat?

Options
So long story short, I've been battling an eating disorder for several years. It's gotten better, but it's still around.

Like as of late, I have been looking at my graduation pictures and can't help but cringe when I see creases in my skin, like so:

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q630/moochachip/DSCN1865_zps5378c2c6.jpg
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q630/moochachip/DSCN1866_zpsb7329424.jpg
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q630/moochachip/DSCN1862_zps61636488.jpg

Is it fat, or have I been brainwashed by the media to thinking thin is flat? I feel like I eat healthy, and I run, but when I see pictures like this I can't help but want to hide under a rock and never see food again...

Replies

• Rix06
    Rix06 Posts: 25
    Options
    Not fat imho
  • woahitsangie
    woahitsangie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You look like you are at a very healthy weight! You look great!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    What creases??

I see a lovely, open-faced young woman.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Very pretty. NOT fat.
  • Happy2help
    Options
    In my opinion you are the farthest thing from fat. I think it's funny that you bring up being brainwashed by the media because the sad part is that the media does play a huge role in people becoming self conscious. I've been there and i know the feeling. Keep doing what your doing it looks like your doing great.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Are *you* asking this question, or is your ED? Step AWAY from the obsessive self-evaluation. You are healthy, happy, and a graduate. Congratulations. :flowerforyou:
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. :blushing: Yeah, I do blame the media for feeling like this. I see all of these pictures of women that look so... perfect... It's annoying.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Different face shapes and bone structures lend themselves to creases forming in different places when people laugh, smile, or even just tilt their head. It's part of the natural variation in human faces.

I'm sure you know some people who have dimples, right? Or people who have a really prominent jawline or noticeable cheekbones, or people who have a cleft in their chin? These are all part of the natural range of facial landscapes. You happen to have creases that show when you smile, but it's absolutely not a sign that you're fat. To me you look healthy and happy.

Congratulations on your graduation by the way! Live a healthy life and don't let insecurity steal your ability to enjoy life's special occasions.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely beautiful and HEALTHY. Definitely not fat!
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    Perfect is relative. You're beautiful, despite being a little brainwashed. ;) I especially like your profile pic rocking the headphones, the tape player is legit.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    That "crease" is called a smile. Stop worrying!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds rude, but...you chose a pretty poor selection of photos. You're wearing a graduation gown in all of them. Not the most flattering piece of clothing out there, and it doesn't show your figure at all, so we really can't say, can we?

If you are referring to the creases in your face, those are called smile lines. Everybody, large and thin, has them.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    no
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    no you look like u are in good shape. and you are pretty. and congrats on your graduation
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You don't look fat at all - you look great! And happy! And your family seems to be proud of you too.

Another thing to keep in mind: when you use your body, your skin and soft tissue accommodates the movement, and sometimes it creases or folds to make it so that you can do (practically) whatever you want. That fact doesn't make you fat; everyone's body does the same thing. You don't usually notice it when you're watching yourself or someone else move, but the still flatness of photos might bring it to your attention. Look at this:
    njb-57165194428.jpeg
    She's not fat, but her stomach folded over so that she could bend her torso that way. A photo like this would probably be airbrushed before being published today. Just a thought.

Congratulations on your graduation, and stay happy.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I can see your cheekbones and neck muscles/tendons. You don't look heavy at all. The lines are a natural result of smiling. Your skin is elastic. If you didn't have those lines, you wouldn't be able to smile. :) You look perfectly fine! You have a lovely smile.

The pictures you see in magazines are adjusted and airbrushed. They use contouring makeup (nothing wrong with that) and then remove lines and shadows, like near her eyes. You can also see where they lightened and enhanced certain areas, like her nose.

steve-collinson-model-airbrushing-before-and-after-photo-_460-942723761.jpg
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. :blushing: Yeah, I do blame the media for feeling like this. I see all of these pictures of women that look so... perfect... It's annoying.

You can thank image editing for that. If you haven't seen this spot, you should. And remember it every time you look at the media's images.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U&gl=CA
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I can't tell whether you're fat or thin in any of those pictures...by your face alone however, you look pretty normal to me.

Blaming the media for your self image is honestly your first problem though. Build your own confidence, see yourself through your own filters. If you can't do that...changing what others do (in this case, the 'media') isn't going to help you one bit. For example, I happen to be relatively short and stocky. The 'media' pushes tall, slim men with a swimmers build and 8% bodyfat.

Who cares? Certainly not I lol.
    I can see your cheekbones and neck muscles/tendons. You don't look heavy at all. The lines are a natural result of smiling. Your skin is elastic. If you didn't have those lines, you wouldn't be able to smile. :) You look perfectly fine! You have a lovely smile.

The pictures you see in magazines are adjusted and airbrushed. They use contouring makeup (nothing wrong with that) and then remove lines and shadows, like near her eyes. You can also see where they lightened and enhanced certain areas, like her nose.

steve-collinson-model-airbrushing-before-and-after-photo-_460-942723761.jpg

I like the first picture quite a bit more, for the record.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like the first picture quite a bit more, for the record.

Me too. The second picture is nice from an artistic standpoint, but she looks more "real" in the first one. Airbrushing, even good airbrushing, makes people look like plastic dolls.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    you look great!!!!