Does eating too many carbs lead to diabetes?

Options
Or is that just a myth?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I only have my experience to go on, so take it for what it's worth, but no. I eat a s***ton of carbs and don't have diabetes (or am prone to it).
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    not in itself, no.
    edit: this is very vague, 'too many carbs' can mean many different things. too many carbs over your TDEE may have some effect but i dont know for sure.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    people fail to recognize that fats/genetics is what causes diabetes in most cases, not sugars or carbs. read up on it!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    diabetes is heredity. I know this because I have it. You can get type two diabetes if you gain a lot of weight and need excess insulin. You can be careful and lose excess weight in order to avoid this.......
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    in before the "OMGZZZ carbs are the devil!!!11!1!!" group.....
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    From someone who just spent the past 3 years working with my mother's doctors and learning everything I could about Diabetes, I can comment on this question with some level of knowledge.
    When you eat carbs, they are broken down into sugar in your body. Insulin is required to process that sugar and further break it down where your body can use it for fuel. If the sugar doesn't get broken down, it crystalizes and makes its way thru your blood stream and organs like tiny shards of glass, cutting and scraping as it goes thru, leaving scarring in its place.

The amount of carbs you eat and the rate those carbs break down in your body, determines the rate that your blood sugar level rises, and how much insulin is needed to break down the sugar. Repeated high amounts of sugar in your blood stresses your pancreas by forcing it to release higher and higher amounts of insulin. At some point, your body will become insulin resistant, and your pancreas can no longer provide enough insulin to break down the sugar in your system. At what level your body will get to this point, can be based on many factors, including genetics, and activity levels.

People who have a certain body type, a higher BF%, and are more sedentary, can reach the level of insulin resistance quicker than others may reach that point. So some people can get away with eating higher amounts of carbs and sugars for quite a while, but eventually if they continue to over stress their insulin system, they are at risk of developing Diabetes.

Eating higher fiber carbs can slow down the breakdown into sugar, allowing more time for the pancreas to release the insulin in lower amounts. Exercise is also very beneficial in preventing Diabetes.

It is very important to get your sugar levels checked regularly, and if your doctor is concerned with your number being too high, then immediately change your eating habits. It is not just a "little high sugar" that you can simply take a pill and all will be fine.
    Pills turn into shots, and shots turn into more shots, and that turns into kidney failure, and dialysis, and after years of ignoring your doctor's advice, your family gets to watch you die a slow and painful death.

So does eating too many carbs lead to Diabetes? The answer is YES. The question is just HOW many carbs are too many for YOU.

This is about Type 2 Diabetes, NOT Type 1, which is an inherited disease that is not caused by diet.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    If you keep spiking the hell out of your insulin, you will eventually develop insulin resistance. Especially if it runs in your family. But you can still eat a lot of carbs. Just try to avoid simple sugars on empty stomach. But if you eat a big meal with fats, proteins and a lot of carbs, then you have nothing to worry about.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    people fail to recognize that fats/genetics is what causes diabetes in most cases, not sugars or carbs. read up on it!

Sorry, but with all due respect you are misinformed. Fats do not cause an increase in blood sugar or insulin. Type 1 Diabetes is genetic. Type 2 is caused by diet and lifestyle.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Sorry, but with all due respect you are misinformed. Fats do not cause an increase in blood sugar or insulin. Type 1 Diabetes is genetic. Type 2 is caused by diet and lifestyle.

Yep.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    DebbieLyn63 is exactly right. My mother went through the same thing. She worked on being fit and we would eat healthy. Then she became depressed when all the children flew the coop. Then she started compensating with food and staying in her own nest. Then she became isolated and paranoid. Then she started going to doctors. Then she started to feel important again. Then she got healthier and had fewer doctor appointments. Then she started craving sugar and I would buy it not knowing where she was in her life. Then she ate sugar non-stop. She would save up for binges. Then she was diagnosed with borderline diabites, then she was also diagnosed with dimentia. Then she had a heart attack. Then she needed a walker. Then she needed a wheelchair. The rest is too depressing to post here. But you can see what a sedentary, reactionary life will lead to. I refuse to make those choices mine. I can't save my mother, but I can save me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    From someone who just spent the past 3 years working with my mother's doctors and learning everything I could about Diabetes, I can comment on this question with some level of knowledge.
    When you eat carbs, they are broken down into sugar in your body. Insulin is required to process that sugar and further break it down where your body can use it for fuel. If the sugar doesn't get broken down, it crystalizes and makes its way thru your blood stream and organs like tiny shards of glass, cutting and scraping as it goes thru, leaving scarring in its place.

The amount of carbs you eat and the rate those carbs break down in your body, determines the rate that your blood sugar level rises, and how much insulin is needed to break down the sugar. Repeated high amounts of sugar in your blood stresses your pancreas by forcing it to release higher and higher amounts of insulin. At some point, your body will become insulin resistant, and your pancreas can no longer provide enough insulin to break down the sugar in your system. At what level your body will get to this point, can be based on many factors, including genetics, and activity levels.

People who have a certain body type, a higher BF%, and are more sedentary, can reach the level of insulin resistance quicker than others may reach that point. So some people can get away with eating higher amounts of carbs and sugars for quite a while, but eventually if they continue to over stress their insulin system, they are at risk of developing Diabetes.

Eating higher fiber carbs can slow down the breakdown into sugar, allowing more time for the pancreas to release the insulin in lower amounts. Exercise is also very beneficial in preventing Diabetes.

It is very important to get your sugar levels checked regularly, and if your doctor is concerned with your number being too high, then immediately change your eating habits. It is not just a "little high sugar" that you can simply take a pill and all will be fine.
    Pills turn into shots, and shots turn into more shots, and that turns into kidney failure, and dialysis, and after years of ignoring your doctor's advice, your family gets to watch you die a slow and painful death.

So does eating too many carbs lead to Diabetes? The answer is YES. The question is just HOW many carbs are too many for YOU.

This is about Type 2 Diabetes, NOT Type 1, which is an inherited disease that is not caused by diet.
    What your saying is insulin causes diabetes.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yep.
    Nope. Fat has an association.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Dietary Glycemic Index, Glycemic Load, and Digestible Carbohydrate Intake Are Not Associated with Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Eight European Countries.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23190759
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

This is false.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    My mother didn't develop diabetes until she was in her mid seventies. There is no way to know but I am have not found diabetes in her family until her, She strived to be fit, then depression set in. She craved sugar in a big way, now that I think back on it, she craved sugar like a drug addict. She also lost her balance first and then developed dementia and had several mild heart attacks.Cheers to getting old!:drinker:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Obesity is central to diabetes and certainly one of the biggest factors, it's not carbs per se, it too much food. Chronic over consumption in general leads to impaired glucose tolerance, the precursor of insulin resistance and diabetes is pretty much a given if there's no intervention.
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Being a diabetic that I had a genetic predisposition for and a nurse, I will let you in on a few things I know. To correct one thing I read, carbs that are not broken down as far as I know, don't scar organs. When you have diabetes, sugars are trapped in the blood in high amounts. The cells aren't absorbing sugar properly, and that’s why a diabetic may feel hungry and lack energy much of the time. The body cells are crying out for nourishment despite having sugar all around them. It’s easy for a person with diabetes to overeat in response to these “hunger feelings” and gain weight. This weight gain, especially when the weight is held in the belly area, actually predisposes a person to diabetes and makes it harder to control because it increases insulin resistance. Insulin works like a chemical key to open pores in the cell wall. It’s the job of insulin to open this cell “door” so that the nutrients in the food eaten can pass from the blood into the cell and be burned for energy or used for growth and repair. Insulin is normally released by the pancreas every time blood sugars begin to rise. Diabetes occurs when a person is no longer able to produce enough insulin or the insulin that is produced is ineffective in delivering blood sugars into the cell. The kind of carbs a diabetic eats is important, and need to lean toward the low glycemic index carbs. You can look this up on the internet to get a better idea of what they are. In response to your question, a sedentary lifestyle, and years of eating diets loaded with sugar, refined carbohydrates, and unhealthy fats (animal and trans-fats), causes weight gain, especially in the belly. This accumulated fat may simply gum up the doors to the cells. This puts so much pressure on the pancreas that it wears out prematurely. The pancreas has been working overtime, probably for many years, making extra insulin to keep the sugars down. It’s only after the pancreas tires and begins to slow down, a condition called "insulin fatigue," that blood sugars begin to rise and diabetes is diagnosed. I hope this helps not only you but others to better understand the correlation between carbs and diabetes. There are so many out there that I think want to understand it, but for whatever reason, don't. Maybe this will clear up a lot of misconceptions.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Obesity is central to diabetes and certainly one of the biggest factors, it's not carbs per se, it too much food. Chronic over consumption in general leads to impaired glucose tolerance, the precursor of insulin resistance and diabetes is pretty much a given if there's no intervention.

this. finally someone who knows what they are talking about.
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oh and just a little more info, obesity is not central to getting diabetes, passmetheduck... read my post cause maybe it will enlighten you and others to the true reasons behind it....and its not just too much food and being overweight....cause my hubby is normal weight and he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in April and had a starting blood sugar of 445.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Oh and just a little more info, obesity is not central to getting diabetes, passmetheduck... read my post cause maybe it will enlighten you and others to the true reasons behind it....and its not just too much food and being overweight....cause my hubby is normal weight and he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in April and had a starting blood sugar of 445.
    Define "normal weight". I have yet to meet someone with type 2 diabetes who was not overweight, so I find this interesting. What was his meal frequency and composition like in the time leading up to the diagnosis?