seasonal depression

Options
So, I think I'm seasonally depressed. And I need to come out of it! Help! What do I do?

Replies

• DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    up your vitamin D, take 3000-5000mg
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Tanning booth, omega 3s, and movement. =]
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands.

:laugh:
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Certainly working out will get those hormones moving which will help!! And get out of the house!!
  • lomogeek
    lomogeek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Right there with you! Ugh!

I try to get out of the house more often, it really helps.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Get plenty of sunlight or use a tanning bed. Exercise. It will get better.
  • shutterbug21
    shutterbug21 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Wiser words were never spoken.
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ~Exercise! (Endophins make you happy, and exercise helps your goals. Its a win win! Mustering the energy to do it though is the hard part with SAD)

~Invest in B complexes (These will help with the energy boost you need and should help perk up your mood!)

~Invest in vitamin D! (SAD is usually from a lack of sunlight, therefore increasing you intake of the vitamin the sun would normally give you is logical :) High doses are good but talk to your doctor before they might even be able to prescribe you a super high dose, just for things like SAD)

~Invest in a Happy Light :) I got mine for $50 (I use one because I get seasonal depression frequently where I live) and it mimics the sunlight like a tanning booth would minus the risk of skin cancer. **Note that you will not be able to tan from one of these though, if that matters to you**

~Go tanning.(but make sure to lather up with sunscreen and keep it to a minimum. No one likes melanoma ;P )

~ Practice meditation (you can find videos all over youtube and it'll really help with the blues portion of the SAD)

~ Make sure to up your Omega 3s :) (This will help keep you from the intense carb, fat, and sugar cravings that usually come along with SAD)

Hope it helps!! Good luck and feel better!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    When I spoke to my doctor about SAD, they said they would prefer it if I didn't utilize tanning booths due to skin cancer risks, my age, etcetc.

See if anywhere in town has a SAD light you can book an appointment with. It's best to do it at near or abouts the same time every week, or if you can afford it just buy it outright. Probably better than tanning but way more expensive upfront.

I also agree with upping your vitamin D, and melatonin probably wouldn't be too out of order either. Either way I would talk to your doctor if you can afford it/get a chance. c:

Also, I agree with everyone else. Exercise!

Good luck and all the power to ya!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you figure it out... let me know. I usually love this time of year.... but, I've been majorly depressed lately. And, the icing on the cake (so to speak).... I was fired this morning from my job. MERRY FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS!!!!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

FTW.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You could always buy a specific type of light that mimics daylight, which is recommended so I've heard from some research. You can find them on Amazon or Ebay, I have S.A.D as well, but unfortunately I just am not willing to dish out $150+ on a light that I am not completely sure works. So, I just put up with it and do things to lift my spirits up like working out in the mean time until I can afford to buy that kind of thing.
  • Nebraska84
    Nebraska84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I have SAD as well. I am deficient on Vitamin D which can cause this problem. I have started taking a high dose of Vitamin D3 (10,000 IU) a day. My doctor only recommended 2,000 IU, however after lots of research I think that that level is way too low to correct a vitamin D deficiency, and it is almost impossible to OD on vitamin D3. I am thinking of getting a sun lamp as well.
  • cylima
    cylima Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I love that movie!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    up your vitamin D, take 3000-5000mg

MICRO, not miligrams.