DOCTORS?!

Options
I've asked this question before, and I didn't get any responses... so here's hoping!

How can I doctor help you lose weight?

Providing you have no previous injury's/illnesses ect that you need to work around.

All I ever see on MFP forums is how doctors know next to nothing about losing weight... so why bother telling them?

Replies

• They have made my life hell don't let them get involved
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It depends.....

they can advise on health issues e.g. test your thyroid etc and in the uk many GPs can offer reduced or free initiatives to help you. For example my mother got a free 12 week subscription to weightwatchers, My husband was offered free swimming. Different initiatives are offered in different areas.

many private gyms require a doctors note to start a new exercise program

However many are not experts in weight loss, some may try to push pills or recommend a diet that doesn't work for you.

Its up to you whether to see them or not

Edited to say BTW I am a doctor
  • fitambitious
    fitambitious Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Unless you have any health condition (recent surgeries, pregnancy, diabetes, kidney problems etc) that requires a doctor to monitor your caloric needs, food/ liquid intake and so on, it is better not to get a doctor involved much. I'm not saying that doctors don't know anything, it's just that most doctors can't/won't give detailed explanation about nutrition and exercise. They usually refer their patients to a nutritionist. Trust me on this, if you do thorough research on the net and do a bit of trial and error, you'll come up with a plan that is hundred times better than the one that your nutritionist describes..

That being said, Doctors DO know a lot about diseases. They can tell you if your weight gain/loss is a symptom some disease and rule out other complications..
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    They receive very little training on nutrition, their business is in MEDICINE. (I know a few doctors.)

Go to a nutritionist...a 'food doctor' :wink:
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Only problem with that is seeing a doctor is free, seeing a nutritionist can be in the $100's! Ah well.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    They can help you lose weight by getting regular blood tests to see if your reduced calorie diet has caused any deficiencies, but other than that I can't think of anything. My doctor gave me weight loss advice once. 'Squeeze a lemon over a salad instead of eating salad dressing.' and 'If you eat a single cookie you need to walk for over an hour to burn it off, so you should not eat cookies.'

I eat cookies whenever I want as long as it fits in my calories for the day. I have not gained any cookie weight.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Only problem with that is seeing a doctor is free, seeing a nutritionist can be in the $100's! Ah well.

Obviously you aren't in the US as I have yet to see a free doctor.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My doctor has been really helpful to me. I do have some medical problems that require attention -- high blood pressure and bad knees. So she works with me on an appropriate low calorie, low sodium, high potassium diet. She has helped with exercise that I can do without hurting my knees, as well as working on figuring out why my knees are bad and what can be done about it. I meet with her every four weeks, and knowing I am going for an official weigh-in that will go in my records and that I will discuss with her helps keep me on track -- I like the extra accountability. She also talks with me about what happened when I go off track and gives me strategies for getting back on track.
    I have also met with an exercise physiologist and dietician and they were both helpful, but my primary care doctor is the one who knows me best, sees me the most often, and is really working with me to get me healthier.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    They receive very little training on nutrition, their business is in MEDICINE. (I know a few doctors.)

Go to a nutritionist...a 'food doctor' :wink:

True