For those that have run in 5k races...

Options

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I usually run with my headphones. I don't really run competitively, just to beat my personal bests so I'm not charging the front of the line where there are more people. I just keep it at a volume where I can still hear what going on around me.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I think the last race I did last summer discouraged them as well, but I still had mine and no one said anything. But I usually use just 1 earbud so I can still hear what's going on around me.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I have run quite a few 5ks. They always say that and I always use my Ipod, Iphone, earbuds, etc. I make a playlist of about 4-5 songs with differnetn tempos to help me keep pace or speed up at times. Try making some and run with them to see how you do. Also, Rock My Run is a great website that allows you to download mix playists based on all sorts of criteria(tempo, style of music, Beats per minute, etc) You will love the race and have fun!! Thats what its all about =)
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    All the races I've run have discouraged them, but no one was out there stopping people from using them. I would say half of the runners had them in.

I, for one, don't like listening to music. I find getting lost in my own thoughts a much better way to pass the time!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I never run with music.

If you insist on using music in a race, only put one ear bud in. You need to be able to hear what is going on around you, like the emergency crew trying to get by you to the runner that had a heart attack up ahead, or the police officer warning you about something in the road ahead.

There is so much going on in a race, I think it's a shame to shut yourself off from the sights and sounds by sticking those earphones in.

I totally agree. I never run with music--even my half marathon. I love getting lost in my own thoughts.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I haven't run a race without music. For me...I envision the time that I'd like to get and then I structure a playlist that's total duration is right around that time. When that final song comes on I know it's time to get a move on.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Some races won't let you run with ear buds/head phones - so make sure you check first.

When I can, I run with music - My first 5k I ran to Rage Against The Machine heh, got a pretty good time.

My 10.6K - Skrillex... holy heck, I done gun tuckered myself out too early that day...

When I run on my own - I like intrumental - I just zone out and let my body do what it needs to do :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    If I do the race with a friend I don't listen to music. If I do it by myself, I'll put one earbud in so I can still hear what's going on around me in case I need to get out of the way.
  • toxicelektra
    Options
    I've done 3 5k's and I don't use headphones, but a lot of people do.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Nothing but the sound of me sucking wind baby!

^
    ^
    same for me
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've worn mine but kept the volume really really low.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Did you use your music?

I am new to it all and planning on targeting my first 5k in April, so was looking at local ones...and noticed they said for safety reasons headphones/earbuds are not recommended but not restricted..

So is that just to cover their butts against morons suing....or do people typically really not use them...

I just cant imagine doing the run without some tunes..even in one ear so I can still pay attention...but something...

So what has been your experience?

I always wear music, no matter what. I have done races before where it's outlawed.... being the ridiculous person I am, I rigged a headband with my headphones so no one could see them and still listened to my music. Many other people wore headphones as well, though it was technically not allowed. I guess I don't officially advice breaking any rules, but I personally can only run effectively with music. Perhaps this is a sign I'm not actually a good runner, but I am not willing to give that up.

Edited to say... this is a rule that varies by 5k. Headphones/music have been allowed in most that I've done. The only race I've done that specifically did not allow them was a nighttime road race (traffic was not allowed on the course, but I guess they did that as a precaution?). I was pretty annoyed that they only mentioned this rule AFTER I signed up and paid, though.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've done both. For longer races I've started with some tunes, but the music eventually starts to irritate me. Any more for 5k races I don't bother. My goal is to be done in 25 min or less, so I can easily do that without tunes.

And, if a race prohibits headphones, and I agree to the terms and sign up. . .I follow their rules. Even if I don't like 'em. Their event. . .their liability insurance. . their rules.

Good luck at the race. They become addicting after awhile!!

:-)
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Did you use your music?

I am new to it all and planning on targeting my first 5k in April, so was looking at local ones...and noticed they said for safety reasons headphones/earbuds are not recommended but not restricted..

So is that just to cover their butts against morons suing....or do people typically really not use them...

I just cant imagine doing the run without some tunes..even in one ear so I can still pay attention...but something...

they do it as a precaution - there have been too many runners who have died being hit by cars, not able to hear marshals etc. its a liablity thing. Best advice is focus on your run, or in the race on those around you - once you hit the runners high you will lose yourself and wont hear the tunes anyway! I dont even bother with headphones even on training runs, i love the isolation andablity to be with my own thoughts - i guess running is my yoga!

Enjoy - its addictive!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I always run with music. Although my last race I made it a mile before I realized I hadn't turned my ipod on!
  • funpilot56
    Options
    I have been running since the late 60's and of course the only way to hear music then was to take a long extension cord with you and listen to AM radio....then progressed to boom boxes, cd players that skipped from your hands moving, to ear phones that made you look like a martian, to ear buds.....actually never wore them because the one time I did, I got so into the music I lost my focus. I really enjoy the mental as well as physical aspect of running races and try to out think some of the people on when to make moves etc. Music just adds a distraction for me.
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Did you use your music?

Almost always wear my bluetooth headset. Now, when I ran the Mackinac Bridge, they are not permitted for safety reasons though I see people wearing them and no one stopping them. I can understand that one since the traffic is still crossing the bridge in the other lanes.

I would suggest that you keep them at a level you can hear people running up behind you and wanting to pass. Nothing more difficult than trying to get around others that are running 4 wide and not paying attention. Other than that, I can't imagine not listening to music during my run.
  • LizServo
    LizServo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I train, I always use music. I am very aware of my surroundings and don't have it TOO loud. I can always hear cars and people.
    When I race, I never bring music, unless it's a longer event, like a half or full marathon (though, I have raced a half w/out music).
    Good luck and have fun!
  • Eowyn99
    Eowyn99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    They are right about not using headphones or earphones in the race. If there is an emergency you can not listen what is happening or if the security people have to talk to you it would be difficult to them. Also in a race like a 5K, a fast race, is difficult also for the other runners if they want to pass you etc...
    I've run 5K's, 10K's, 21K's and never used headphones. I want my concentration on the race and the people around me. Trust me about the security. In a half marathon I was running, a policeman in a bike almost crush me because he was following an ambulance. I would not have listened if I had headphones. He was not using the siren. So don't use them while running in a race or in the streets.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I didn't for my first 3 and then when I did for my 4th, it made a huge difference. Helps to motivate me and also to not
    be able to hear my own panting!:noway: