What Seasonal Goodies Have You Had So far?

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Poppy seed (NOT lemon poppy seed, just poppy seed) bread. My fav. What is this mince pie???

This information should help. I never ate mince pie because I don't eat anything with "spices" that include cinnamon, so I don't know how it taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Poppy seed (NOT lemon poppy seed, just poppy seed) bread. My fav. What is this mince pie???

You don't know what a mince pie is ?

Nope, I have maybe heard of it once or twice?? I should add that I'm about as American as they come haha so I haven't been exposed to any mince pies in my life.

This information should help. I never ate mince pie because I don't eat anything with "spices" that include cinnamon, so I don't know how it taste.

Thanks! Sounds interesting. I like spices so I might enjoy that. Maybe I'll make some and see how it turns out.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    chex mix....caramel corn.....peanut butter fudge....mmmmmm
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    I had to test a lemon square that didn't come out looking right ... somehow the filling got under the base. They were okay, logged and put away, but all of the things that are lurking in the freezer and frig downstairs are calling (and I don't usually crave sweets).
    Anyone else kind of looking forward to January?
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    No seasonal seasonal goodies since Thanksgiving, but I did make a gluten free carrot cake for ladies night last week. Yummy!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member

You don't know what a mince pie is ?

Nope, I have maybe heard of it once or twice?? I should add that I'm about as American as they come haha so I haven't been exposed to any mince pies in my life.

Thanks! Sounds interesting. I like spices so I might enjoy that. Maybe I'll make some and see how it turns out.

Are they only a British thing? I always assumed you got them there over in the USA too?
    Either way, they would be pretty easy to make and you may well enjoy them. They go nicely with a bit of cream or brandy butter.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    I splurged on was a 215 calorie Pumpkin Spice Latte a few days ago, but stayed well within my calorie intake. Just had a little less protein and a little more sugar that day than I'd like.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Egg nog. Tried it for the first time in my life this year. Kinda wish I hadn't because it's really good... I see more in my future.
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Mulled wine, half a bottle of, last night :-) was good, but full of tasty calories
    and some chocolate, and mince pies - which did fit in my calorie count
    and an epicly huge cheese board- which didnt
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Mince pies! I love them but must try harder to resist lol :smile:
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Pizzelles
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Christmas coookies, lots of them.
  • luvsclassics
    luvsclassics Posts: 13 Member
    Good For You! Miss Julie. It Sounds like you're on the Track to Fitness, and sticking to your plan.

Actually that shake recipe sounds pretty good!

It's best to wait til Christmas Eve or day if you want to taste some goodies.:happy:
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    i will admit to indulging in cookies and candy. giving myself a bit of freedom these next 2 weeks. why toruture myself? i will keep exercising but i feel like i need to get something good to get me through the holidays. it's stressful enough with work, families visiting, people staying too long at your house, etc. :) i feel like i need that little chocolate pick me up at times. january will have to be my retraining period.
  • luvsclassics
    luvsclassics Posts: 13 Member
    Good for you Miss Julie. That shake sounds good to me.

Staying on track until Christmas Eve or Day and then taste some "sweet treats" sounds like a plan. :smile:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    oh god! the list!

homemade christmas cookies (and dough)
    chocolate dipped toffee
    chocolate covered pretzels
    holiday wrapped caramel kisses
    holiday wrapped peanut butter cups
    cinamon hard candy - homemade

I'm still waiting for the baklava....hasn't shown up yet... :grumble:
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Over time, I've had cookies, baklava, deer sausage & (my favorite) a turkey sandwich with green apple and avocado slices.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Glad to hear others have been enjoying the season and allowing themselves a few indulgences.
    It tends to be better to space things out than save up for those 2 days then binge on everything because you have held back or 'stayed on track' until then.
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Mince pies are called mincemeat pies here, and I stayed away from them before because I thought they were sweetened real meat pies and I thought that would be gross. Apparently there is no meat in them. Hahaha. I kind of like them now.

As for seasonal treats I've had, I bought a tray of cherry icebox cookies. Mmmmmmm....
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    A couple small cheese straws and a white chocolate covered pretzel rod with sprinkles.