Happy healthy BMI to me!

Options
After about six months, I've dropped 24 pounds and have reached my goal weight, which puts me in the "healthy BMI" range. I know BMI has its problems, but you have to pick a goal weight somehow. I'm pretty happy with how I look now (actually I was happy five pounds ago, but couldn't quite let go of that 70s-era body fat proxy), so I'm going to start transitioning to maintenance.

tumblr_inline_mf9g20ZJ371r5c5j3.jpg

Starting stats - June 2012
Weight: 189 lbs
Waist: 32.75"
Hips: 44.5"
Size: 12-14

Now - Dec 2012
Weight: 165 lbs
Waist: 29"
Hips: 40.75"
Size: 10

I wish I'd gotten more of my legs in the before picture since I think that's where the most noticeable difference is. It maybe doesn't seem like that big a change but I feel fantastic. I'd been feeling my blood sugar crash midday and actually joined MFP to track sugar intake. Then I figured as long as I was doing that, I might as well set things up to see if I could drop the extra 10-15 pounds I've been carrying around since high school (+ the 9 pounds that snuck on since I'd last really weighed myself). I always just thought I was naturally a bit heavier, but of course this wasn't the case. I've gotten to try out some new foods and started lifting a bit again. It was also great seeing everyone's motivating stories. It's my 30th birthday today and I find myself really looking forward to my 30s.

Replies

• tammytee93
    tammytee93 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!!! You look fabulous. Good job. What was your workout regime for this weight loss?
  • cbungard1
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Great Job!
  • skschuler
    skschuler Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Great job and Happy Birthday! What a great way to start a new year!:smile:
  • newlife3182
    Options
    Congrats! You look great!
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! and Congrats!! You look amazing
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday !!! Enjoy your success....and your 30"s....you look wonderful, happy and healthy !!
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    For workouts, I was already doing cardio about 5 times a week (I like a variety, so this included running, biking, ultimate Frisbee and HIIT/circuit-type workouts). With the exception of one longer endurance workout, I do mostly shorter but intense exercise (20 minutes or so). In mid-summer I got a little worried about losing muscle mass and added on a short strength training set (8 exercises, 3 rounds of 6-8 reps) twice a week just to try and maintain some muscle mass.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and congratulations on your success!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    happy birthday and very well done, your abs have a nice definition and do speak of the hard work you have put into it.:flowerforyou:
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look great, and I see a big difference between your before and after. The BMI indicator might be pretty good for you.

Not so much for me, your before looks better than my now, and I'm only 7 pounds away from a healthy BMI.
  • Narc_soda
    Narc_soda Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Narc_soda
    Narc_soda Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    And Happy 30!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!