No more motivation

Options
Hey guys, for the past few years I've been working out and losing weight and feeling great. Lately though, I've been lacking in going to the gym. I've still been eating right, but I feel like I'm losing motivation to go now that I'm at my goal weight and I've been at it for about a year now. The cold weather and short days seem to be having an impact on me as well.

Other than "Man up and go" or "Just do it", what are some suggestions or ways that you motivate yourself to go to the gym? I don't want to lose my fitness levels

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    change it up. My gym has classes every night. Cross Seal, Cross Fit...etc. You need to do something new that will excite you again.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same spot you are right now.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Normally my advice falls under the Man Up or Just Go category, but you know what, it's okay to take a break too. You can take a month off and set a date next year to come back fresh. Maybe use that time to develop a new workout plan and set some new, higher fitness goals for 2013. Perhaps use the downtime over the next month to swim or do yoga or krav Maga or some such. You can even set a late winter/early spring date if winter is terrible where you live.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too right now, but one thing I'm continuing to try is setting mini goals, mini challenges. This helps. With all of the holiday food, I try not to beat myself up when I have a mini fault. Good Luck!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights. Do a progressive loading program - start low. Do strong-lifts 5x5, start with low weight and increase over every workout. Your strength gains and progress will shoot up FAST and you definitely stay motivated with your progress, and not to mention subtly building your habit of working out so it just comes naturally!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You could get fat and lazy over the next couple of months. That might motivate you to start a new journey.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about changing it up recently. I mostly do cardio so I might start lifting more. Thanks for some of the ideas! Anything else?
  • tmfrizzell
    Options
    I am at my weight goal, except for about 5 pounds or so, and am finding motiviation to be a big issue. I have found setting a future goal to be very motivating. For instance, I am going to be doing a Tough Mudder in May next year, which is motivating, but is a little too far away right now.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. I have my workout room at home with a Bowflex and elliptical. I also have free weights. I have done P90X and currently doing Body Beast (free weights). It is much easier for me to find the time to workout in my home than to get prepared and drive to a gym. Just a thought.
  • SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Find another "reason" to go. I go after I check on the horse sometimes, as I might as well go before getting snug and comfy in my own home. Or I go when I need to go get groceries anyway. In this weather I only feel like going out in bursts, so sometimes I have to find ways to make it "worth" it. Another thing that might be "worth" it for me is when there's a show on that's okay, because I don't have cable at home, but the gym does.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What do you LOVE doing? For me, it's running and I'm sure even that will ebb and flow. But now, at least, I look forward to it every day I go.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I had to have a motivation bigger than myself to keep going. This past year, I lost 40lbs by walking/running/biking 1,000 miles for St. Judes Children's Research Hospital. I had donors commit to giving me one penny for each mile, for a total of $10.00 per donor. Once the money started coming in, I KNEW I had to keep at it. Even after I broke my foot while running, I figured out that I could safely bike. If there's a will, there's a way, so they say!
    Dec. 1st, I started it over again. Lack of motivation solved again! This year I'm doing it for St. Jude's and Alzheimers.
    Pick your fav. charity and start today. If you don't run/bike/walk, lift a certain amt. of pounds for the year, swim or whatever it is you do!

ETA: I also did C25K and that kept me motivated. Now I'm working on the 5K to 10K bridge.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I can't lie: I rely on my workout buddies to be waiting on me - "well, i told So-and-So I'd be there, and I don't want to let them down." This makes a HUGE difference for me.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Work out through the Winter and into spring = More toned and ready for Summer !

Other than that, I would definitly say changing it up would make a difference, especially if you joined a group or class. Socializing with folks that have the same goals...awesome.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I set mini challenges for myself, to motivate me and challenge myself on a day to day basis to keep me going. Lifting a little more, one or two more sets...new goals, new challenges, if you do the same thing day in and day out, you have nothing new to look forward too. And yeah, if your gym offers group classes, look into doing one of those, and meeting new people :)