For those that have run in 5k races...

Options

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I always run with one earbud in and the other tucked into my sports bra. That way, I can listen to music and still be alert to my surroundings.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options

If you insist on using music in a race, only put one ear bud in. You need to be able to hear what is going on around you, like the emergency crew trying to get by you to the runner that had a heart attack up ahead, or the police officer warning you about something in the road ahead.

^^^ exactly this!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    for most of my first year of running, I didn't run with music at all. I have recently started to listen while running. I have not had music in any of the 6 5K's I've run. It's a short amount of time and I am usually checking out the course or the people and dodging other people feet to keep my mind occupied. What ever works for you, that is best.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    No, I'm really glad I didn't bring music to my first race either because the adrenaline pushed me really hard. If it's a 5k on a course I've never run before, 30 minutes goes by pretty quickly and I just like to be in the moment without music.

I did, however, wish I brought music for a 10k this summer. That got boring REAL FAST
  • RagenGBrown
    Options
    Some don't allow you to use them for safety reasons, but so far, all the ones I've competed in I have used ear buds. I just don't blast the music so I can hear, especially if you're going to be running with TONS of people. The smaller ones I've done, it hasn't really mattered. I'm doing a 10k in april and there are going to be 40,000+ people and I can't wear them. It helps me to use music to keep the pace, so do what you feel is best for you. If all else fails, just wear 1 ear bud so you can still hear. Good luck! You'll do great!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Go with however you train -- I find that to be the easiest. I do most of my training with an iPod, but I also do some runs without it so that I'm trained to listen to my body; plus that way I can run races with or without. If you're used to having it I would at least take the iPod, you can always have it turned off (or paused) and then resume playing if you feel you need the extra stimulation -- I did that on the DC marathon in 2011, ran most of the race without the iPod but during boring portions I would turn it on to help me out a bit.
  • STBSB
    STBSB Posts: 1
    Options
    The music motivates me - I ALWAYS have my music on !
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you want to, fine. I don't think bad about people who do. I never run with music and would certainly never race with it. But that's a performance issue as I'm focused solely on feedback from my running and the race situation around me. You'll notice the percentage of people with headphones drops as you get closer to the front of the pack - but there are still some fast runners who wear them. Personally, I think most runners would perform better without headphones, particularly as they become more trained and are running more on the edge, but that's not universal.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    So...every 5k I've done has had some freak of nature who finished in 15min (congrats to him of course) and people that walked and finished in a hour, and everything in between. You'll race faster than you usually run, but poll people and ask them what their expected time is-kind of line up around the people that are reasonably close to what you think you might do and when you get sucked into their pace, you'll be in good shape.

My first race next year was won by someone who ran the 5k in 13:40! The top 10 were all done before 14:01... Insane. Even the top women finish in the 15:30 range.
    I usually can AG podium or top 5 AG around 20:00, but in that race, 20:30 last year got 330th place!

I ran a race a couple years ago where they had pace markers at the start - i.e. if you were racing at a pace faster than 7:00/mi, you are here, 8:00 here, 9:00 here, etc. I've only seen that at a 5k once, but its pretty common at half and full marathons.
    It still didn't stop little old lady walkers to line up on the start line with people running in the 5:00 to 6:00 range...
  • scorpio516
    Options
    Most all races here will disquailify you if you run with them.

Unless you are in the money, this doesn't matter. In over 30 contests, I've never seen anyone get disqualified, spoken too, chastised or anything else about having headphone on during a race.

Agreed.

"In 2008, the U.S. Track & Field (USATF) -- the governing body for long-distance running and track & field in the United States -- amended their rule banning headphones and other music playing devices at all USATF-sanctioned running events. The USATF's rule previously had banned the use of headphones by all runners. Now it limits the ban to "those competing in Championships for awards, medals, or prize money."

http://running.about.com/od/RacingTips/f/Can-I-Wear-Headphones-In-Races.htm

Given that my goal is to not come in last, I'm safe wearing my headphones LOL.

USAT (Triathlons) also say you are DQ'd for wearing headphones.

I do train in headphones, but I never race in them.
    In all the smaller races I've raced in, a large number of people wear headphones. Oddly, it is VERY rare to see anyone in the top 20-50 wear them though.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running and have run 2 races so far (one was a Disney 5k, which discouraged headphones)
    Neither time did I listen to music. There was so much going on around me & excitement from the race, I didn't miss the music at all.
    I still had my iphone on me so I could use it for the GPS app.

When I am running for my daily exercise/training, I am always listening to music though. (low enough to hear sounds around me).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I used my music, and thank goodness. The song I was listening to helped me push myself across the finish line when I was so tired I wanted to walk.

Make sure you check and see if your race allows it, if you decide to use headphones.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My first race next year was won by someone who ran the 5k in 13:40! The top 10 were all done before 14:01... Insane. Even the top women finish in the 15:30 range.
    I usually can AG podium or top 5 AG around 20:00, but in that race, 20:30 last year got 330th place!

Boston area?
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I definitely listen to tunes during 5Ks. But on the mud runs I do you can't carry your ipod, unless you want it wet and muddy.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I did, and lots of people do. Just keep the volume at a reasonable level so you can hear if anything is sneaking up on you.

This. But usually I find that I'm not really listening to it, it's more background noise because I'm too amped up with the race...and not letting the people behind me pass me. Heh. But I'm super competitive.

Also, I use Runkeeper to track my pace.
  • scorpio516
    Options

Boston area?

yep, planning on doing the BAA 5K
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I ran a race a couple years ago where they had pace markers at the start - i.e. if you were racing at a pace faster than 7:00/mi, you are here, 8:00 here, 9:00 here, etc. I've only seen that at a 5k once, but its pretty common at half and full marathons.
    It still didn't stop little old lady walkers to line up on the start line with people running in the 5:00 to 6:00 range...

I love that system... and also don't understand why slow runners go to the front of the race! That drives me crazy. I probably won't do Race for the Cure again for that reason... there were packs of ladies who had almost linked arms, WALKING in groups of 5-6 or more, blocking the entire path in some cases (they started at the RUN time, not the WALK time).

What do these people think they will gain by starting at the very front? All they do is slow down people who want to run that pace.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options

Boston area?

Wow, that's crazy competitive... times are MUCH slower here in Pittsburgh.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Boston area?

Talent is crazy deep in that area. AG top 3s would be mid pack up there.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I don't run races with music because I can't find any earbuds that actually will stay put in my little itty bitty ears (they all fall out no matter how far I have them jammed in there). When I'm running around our neighborhood, I'll sometimes just carry my phone playing Pandora on full volume so I can hear it. But it's no big deal at races since I am usually so focused on pushing myself to go faster and pass the people in front of me!