Does the weather change your eating habits?

Options
Maybe i'm just crazy, but good god winter is here and I want to eat everything.
Ever since the temperature dropped, I feel like I could eat all day all the time omG.

Does anyone else feel like their eating habits change with the weather?
In the summer I eat normally and have very little problems with getting off track .
but winter, oh man.
I'm just hungry all the time!

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy - It's winter here for 5+ months of the year and it definitely makes you want to eat more and more heavy foods. Sweet potatoes, winter squash and spicy hot foods like curry dishes or chili really help give the extra "full" feeling and combat the cold without totally disrupting calorie goals.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My hubby eats almost 1600 more per day when winter comes. ** on Saturdays** he can eat up to 5000 cals. He is of course a giant at 6'5' 250lbs
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    In the summer, I am all about salad, veggies, etc. in the winter, I want fries and chili.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    yess, all I have been craving is like a big plate of yellow curry or butterchicken or samosas or anything spicy and hot and warm! and I totally surprised myself with the amount of food I ate this weekend, it's ridiculous!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I want warm comfort foods in winter...Mac n cheese, creamy soups, hot chocolate, mashed potatoes! In summer it so much easier to eat lighter with fresh fruits and veggies being in season!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I usually eat more when the weather is nice out because we love to host cookouts. Plus, I get more exercise when it's nice out. During the winter I eat more soups and stews, when are usually lower in calories than the slabs of animal flesh we like to throw on the grill.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    As it has gotten cold and with all the holidays, my goal is to just maintain until spring comes. Winter time just makes me crave warm wholesome food. Mashed potatoes, gravy, fried chicken, chili fries, potato soup... yummm.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    yum :3
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Since Winter has come, I have taken to having baked sweet potatoes again, am enjoying a few soups and have found a passion for crushed carrot and swede with a little butter with salmon and cabbage. I find carrot and swede mash a real comfort food.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    wow that sounds fancy and delightful.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i've read as well that when it gets colder, our body chemistry actually changes to hold on to more fat because it's still worried that we need it to survive as if we're living outside. just another way your body really wants you to be fat ;-)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yep. I want to eat warm, soft, chewy, salty, sugary foods. So delicious...

The thought of a fruit or veggie just has no appeal.
  • lmcgrad
    Options
    Oh yes, when it is summer time, I try to eat less and healthier because if you eat alot and heavy meals, it doesnt help with the heat. When it's cold, I always feel like heavy stuff warms me up, but it also ALWAYS puts on the lbs. It's kind of sad.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yes, but mine starts in early fall! I crave baked bread, baked mac n cheese, tater tot casserole.. anything high in carbs and warm. Luckily for me it only lasts a few weeks, then I adjust my diet and make myself eat like I do in the summer with grilled food and tons of veggies. Today, we have a blizzard coming so I'm making homemade veg. beef soup to help me cope. lol

I think it's just the way we were made, and that our wanting to eat more is due to our bodies wanting to make it through winter without starving.