Spinning before Marathon

Options
I was going to phrase this as a question.

But I really would like people to tell me it's OK to do a spin class 3 days before running a marathon. Is it? I really want to go tomorrow.

I've never actually been spinning before, but I DO do all my HIIT on the bike. I did body pump today and gym last night. I'm a bit sore now but only my arma and back.

I don't really want to be kicking myself in this marathon on sunday.

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

But I really would like people to tell me it's OK to do a spin class 3 days before running a marathon. Is it? I really want to go tomorrow.

I've never actually been spinning before, but I DO do all my HIIT on the bike. I did body pump today and gym last night. I'm a bit sore now but only my arma and back.

I don't really want to be kicking myself in this marathon on sunday.
    From the title of the thread I thought you were going to ask about going spinning on the morning of a marathon. I was going to say "are you insane?" :laugh:

I don't know much about spinning but I guess that once there's the 3 day gap it should be ok.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Spinning isn't that hard for a trained person like yourself so it'll probably be fine.

That said, I can't see any reason to be mixing up my routine 3 days out from my race. This is the time I'd be eliminating all variables, not adding them. I don't even answer my phone the day before an event, much less do new workout routines.

You have the rest of your life to do your first spin class. How about doing it 3 days after your marathon instead of 3 days before?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You have the rest of your life to do your first spin class. How about doing it 3 days after your marathon instead of 3 days before?

This. Just not a great idea. Though you are likely to be in great enough shape to do it, I would hate for you to mess with your marathon success to take a class that you can easily take another time.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    "I don't even answer my phone the day before an event, much less do new workout routines." - LOL!

Thanks for the advice.

The reason is I usually work 60-70hrs/week (doctor) and can't make most classes, but i have 4 days off this week so can actually make this class tomorrow whereas looking at my rota i might not make it again for 2 months. It's with a decent instructor (he does some of the pump classes and is great for making sure your technique is good and making you feel bad when you don't work hard enough) ;)

so that's the reason!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    No way I would do a spinning class 3 days before a marathon, especially if I had never done one before. Very, very bad idea. I try not to even walk around the expo for more than 15 minutes, let alone spin a bike for a hour or so.
  • letjog
    Options
    No way I would do a spinning class 3 days before a marathon, especially if I had never done one before. Very, very bad idea. I try not to even walk around the expo for more than 15 minutes, let alone spin a bike for a hour or so.

Ok. I'm looking at your profile picture and thinking I should listen to your advice!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Love spinning, but I'd wait. Good luck on your Marathon!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

At least you are honest. :)

I'm with Davpaul and Carson.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with everyone on here. The risks greatly out weigh the possible benefits.

Relax and stretch. That should be your main goals so close to the big day!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

What Carson said........you're tapering, not the time for a hard workout (especially something new)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    No! Don't ever try anything new so close to a marathon. You did not mention if this will be your first marathon. If it is your first...the answer is a bigger NO! NO! NO!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that this is a very bad idea.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If you've never done spin I'd say absolutely not.

I do spin and have run marathons and I still probably wouldn't spin 3 days before...5 maybe and if I did, I'd be half-*kitten* about my effort...really should be resting those legs.

Good luck!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    No. NO.NO.NO
    Rest!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    LetJog, I don't think this went down the way you wanted, but I suspect you knew it would be this way. Whatever you decide, check back in and let us know how the marathon went
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just to play devil's advocate here, don't most training programs have you taper your distances before a race? They don't have you stop running. I believe the program my wife just did had her run two or three miles the day before her race, just to stay loose.
    Given that you are in marathon shape I cannot see that an hour spin class is going to fatigue and deplete you for three days. You can always take it a little easy. I find getting on the bike is a nice, gentle way to get some cardio without all the pounding of running.
    That said, if you are running the race with the intent of getting a good time, I might not take any chances.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm a veteran marathoner but I don't spin. Spinning would kick my *kitten* for sure. It would be a good workout, but NOT a couple days before racing 26.2!

Indeed you do need to keep moving during your taper, but I would take it pretty easy until race day.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Having jacked my knee and hip up yesterday in spin class (due to my cleats not being properly fitted) I'd suggest skipping. I'd hate to be looking at running 26 miles in a few days with this fun little pinch in my knee.
  • yeah not a good idea.

I teach spin 3-6 days a week, not a easy class at all, high cardio and alot of leg work. do it afterwards.
  • letjog
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I've seen sense and decided not to do it, after a sports massage where i was told of for even thinking about it!
    So I'm sitting on the settee eating apple crumble.

I will do my "six weeks to six pack" DVD tomorrow instead :P

I will check in after to let you know how it went. It's an offroad marathon with a beach section, so might not be happy times!