Weight lifting- Where do I start???

Options
So I've realized everyone here on MFP does the whole lifting thing and I want to try doing more than just cardio. Mind you though, I'm only 6 pounds lost and 100 to go. I'm just starting to get my eating down so I'm pretty much a beginner. My question is, how long do you lift? I have a weight bench with tons of weights, I'm just not sure how much weight I should start with and how many reps to do and how long do I lift for? Would starting 30 minutes a day be good for a beginner? Thanks for the input!

Replies

• AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will suggest StrongLifts 5x5. It's simple, you start off light, and there's a group for it here on MFP. It's apparently about 45 mins 3 times week. I've not started the program yet, but I will do after xmas.
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    "30 minutes a day" is sort of arbitrary until we know: what you're lifting, what you're working, exactly HOW many days you're lifting, etc.

For instance, I lift 30 minutes four times a week. Those days are split upper/lower body + core, with a rest or cardio day in between. It's thirty minutes because, well, with rest in between sets, with the amount of training I do, that's what it turns out to be. Back before my weight got much heavier, I could do 3 full body workouts a week around 60 minutes (then it started taking too long with rests).

The minutes spent lifting really boils down to the amount of weight, amount of exercises, and amount of rest time for you. I think I'd focus more on WHAT you're doing, not how long (particularly if you're thinking in terms of, "How many calories burned?" It's hard to estimate that with strength training, but the burn lasts HOURS after the fact).

As for how much weight you should start with: I'd try doing all the moves you plan to do (ex: squats, bench press, rows, etc.) WITHOUT weights first until you've mastered form (since you said you have your own bench, so I'm guessing not at a gym, be extra careful about form... look up things on YouTube, try getting someone you know who lifts to check you, etc.).

I'd refer to good programs and groups out there (like Stronglifts 5x5) to help guide you through weight, ideas, etc.
  • afatwomanonamission
    Options
    Are you a member of a gym? I 'bought' sessions with a personal trainer to get me started; I don't plan on it being a long-term thing because it does get costly, but she helps me figure out what will give me the most benefit for my areas of particular problem, and teaches me the form. She also helps me organize a workout routine so that I can maximize my exercise.

Just a thought.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ask for the book "Starting Strength" for Christmas. Spend some time watching Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube. Google the (free) program "Strong Lifts 5x5" and check that out.

Those are all great places to start! You should be focusing on the program you want to do, not an arbitrary amount of time to spend in the gym. I do Strong Lifts and some days I can get in and out of the gym in 30 minutes. Some days, it may take 45 minutes. The time doesn't matter - what matters is that I'm getting my program done.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Find a program you like... strong lifts, starting strength, and new rules of lifting are the big 3 right now. Pick one, then start with really low weight focusing on form and technique. Once you have that down, then start adding weight as instructed by the program.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you looking into weights - it will help you maintain muscle so that as you lose fat you are not losing (as muscle). Rarely is a pound of weight loss a pound of fat. It can be made up of muscle or water too. Just take everything one step at a time know that as your body improves things will get easier! New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great read and I think does a nice job of explaining the benefit of lifting.

Good luck!
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! I got some great ideas and some good places to start and good things to look up!
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just checked out the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women from my local library and am planning on starting after the holidays. If you want to organize a checkin/weightlifting challenge together, let me know!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Find a gym that does pay as you go and attend a few BodyPump or similar classes to learn technique.