No wonder WW didn't work for me...

Options
Oh my Gosh,

I have been doing MFP for about a month, but I couldn't help but wonder how this would all relate to the WW Points system.. which by the way I always had a very hard time staying within my "points" range each day.

I thought I would look at yesterday and see what the points value was for my day -- it was 38. This just blows my mind considering this is 14 over what WW suggests. I realize with WW you get weekly flex points, but even with an extra 5 a day (35 per week) this still is amazing that I ate 14 over and keep within my "daily calorie range".

I did walk for 30 minutes, so even if you said I was allowed 2 for activity.

The equation would be as follows 24 + 5 flex + 2 activity = 31

No wonder WW didn't work for me...

I love MFP.

Replies

• cassidi
    cassidi Posts: 1
    Options
    I did ww a few years ago and it worked great, but when I got down in weight my points REALLY dropped. I think was eating 800-1000 calories per day. It completely stalled my metabolism to the point I was gaining weight even though I was hardly eating and exercising like crazy! I am a huge believer in eating the minimum calories per day that mpf tells you to eat!
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cassidi, I agree. I don't think anyone should ever go below 1,200 (for a woman).

I just noticed one of my friends only ate around 1,000 yesterday. I sent her a message saying that was not good.

Hope she doesn't mind.

~Tammy
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    WW worked for me 10 years ago. Problem was when I was done, I went back to eating like I had before. The difference here is it seems easier to realize this is a life change, not a "program". I have nothing against WW, many people have had success. But for life-long changes, not for me.
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I could never handle WW...
    For some backwards reason it felt WAY too much like a competition and I never do well with that, I always swing the other way.
  • DAKTHREE
    DAKTHREE Posts: 52
    Options
    Wow!!! I never stopped to figure it out like that. I'm a lifetime member of WW but put it all back on over the years. I was just never able to stick with it again after that. This site has been motivating and easier to stick with. If I slip up one day (or one week:) I don't feel stressed about it and I'm able to get right back on track. Maybe it's because I'm not starving:):)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    WW didn't work for me because even though I had 36 points I would eat very little during the day and then binge on the rest of my points throughout the evening. And I wouldn't eat healthy foods. According to WW's calculation system, they don't even factor in protein. So a 100 calorie piece of fish w/ no fat and no fiber has exactly the same point value as a piece of candy w/ no fat and no fiber. For a sugar junkie like me, I would choose the candy (every time). I never went over my points, but with eating all of my points at night and eating the wrong foods it did not work for me at all.
  • Mickey73
    Mickey73 Posts: 19
    Options
    My MFP tells me that I can have 1430 calories a day without excersing and loose 1lb a week. I am a women. Is that not correct for me. Sound I lower my calories. I have been on WW for 5 years and was lifetime and lost 73lbs. I know that I am eating more than I did on WW points and it is a lot better.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    WW worked for me 10 years ago. Problem was when I was done, I went back to eating like I had before. The difference here is it seems easier to realize this is a life change, not a "program". I have nothing against WW, many people have had success. But for life-long changes, not for me.

Ditto. Counting calories is never to go out of style.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    My MFP tells me that I can have 1430 calories a day without excersing and loose 1lb a week. I am a women. Is that not correct for me. Sound I lower my calories. I have been on WW for 5 years and was lifetime and lost 73lbs. I know that I am eating more than I did on WW points and it is a lot better.

Based on all of the success stories here, and as long as you entered all of your info correctly, I'd go with what MFP suggests.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    I could never handle WW...
    For some backwards reason it felt WAY too much like a competition and I never do well with that, I always swing the other way.

Me too....I kept going back to WW too since I knew it was a sensible diet plan but I could never find any great success with their plan. I totally love this site.....so best wishes to you!!!!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I did WW points for 8 months and barely lost 6 lbs. I felt like I was starving constantly and it was excruciating not seeing that weight drop off and paying however much a week to go to the meetings! AND I wasn't even exercising. I would really have been up a creek without a paddle exercising on WW.
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did ww 2 years ago and lost 30 lbs, 10 in the first 7 days but I couldn't stick with it. This gives me far more calories a day and I'm steadily losing weight. I'm trying to hit my calorie goal each day and sometimes it's hard! Love MFP!!!