Tattoo's

Options
RosscoBoscko
RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
So am thinking about getting 2 tattoos next year, one of which I know exactly what I want and the other which I know the basic idea but I need designing. Does anyone have any recommendations about how I get this done, am I best going to the artist who will do the actual tattoo or asking someone else to design it.

The first part is the below which I want on my lower back but am not sure of the size or exact placement.

celtic52_large_zps951205a8.gif

Above that and across/between my shoulder blades I want an eagle in a celtic style, which i need designing, but again am not fully sure on size.

The first is a celtic tree of life, and both represent rejuvination and renewal. Have been through a lot mentally with depression and anxiety and I want to beat this as well as getting fit and healthy and this will be my marker/reward/reminder of doing so once I beat it, although a friend has told me not to do so until I am sure I have.

I am basically fishing for advice on making these decisions from people who already have tattoos, or opinions on the design from anyone really.

Another question is that I am planning on building/sculpting my shoulder muscles once I have lost more weight, I'm thinking I am better waiting until then to get the eagle done at least, as otherwise wouldn't it be misshapen afterwards?

Also what experience have other people had of family or friend approval/disapproval, i know its my own body but i know a few will not approve.

Just trying to gather my thoughts as its a pretty big and permanent decision!!!

Sorry for the rambling scatter gun nature of the post!

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by "eagle in a celtic style." but that makes me curious to what you mean.

I designed my tattoo and 2 of my wife's 3 tattoos. and then the tattoo artist took that and and made adjustments as needed, but they came out well.

As far as approval from family (all my friends could not care less). I think I am the only person in my extended family that has a tattoo. My mom and my grandfather were the ones who seemed irked by it, but they were not vehement about the disapproval, and I seriously doubt if either one give it a second thought anymore. it's not like it changed me.
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by "eagle in a celtic style." but that makes me curious to what you mean.

Thinking something along vague lines of these, but maybe more colour, though not too much, but want it to be unique.

eagle2_zps020b57a9.jpg

eagle1_zps85f8ea78.jpg

celticeagle_zpsf961107d.jpg

Sadly am a terrible artist so couldn't design it myself. only person i think would have an issue really is my mum, but wouldnt probably care too much after initial shock.
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    my tattoo artist was fab i gave him a basic idea and he went with it! if you find the right artist they will adjust your idea for you, no need to track someone down prior to it for a design just take your ideas either printed out or email them to the artist xx
  • Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    If you give them a basic idea that's the best way they are artist for a reason so just let them do their job
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    Get the artist who's doing it to design it for you. When looking for an artist, make sure you drop in, check out portfolios and read reviews online. And while pricey doesn't always mean better, if an artist you love charges more than a mediocre one, go for quality over a bargain!

Unless you're planning on getting mad built, it's probably fine to go ahead when you've lost the weight you want to lose.
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    And sod what other people think. It's your tattoo and that's that. I love mine HARD and my mum hates it.
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice so far.

Do you think the 2 will work ok both being on my back, or will it look odd as a combination?
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The first part is the below which I want on my lower back but am not sure of the size or exact placement.
    For my taste, going too low on your back looks, well... rather girly. Personally, I wouldn't go lower than the kidney area.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So am thinking about getting 2 tattoos next year, one of which I know exactly what I want and the other which I know the basic idea but I need designing. Does anyone have any recommendations about how I get this done, am I best going to the artist who will do the actual tattoo or asking someone else to design it.

celtic52_large_zps951205a8.gif

Above that and across/between my shoulder blades I want an eagle in a celtic style, which i need designing, but again am not fully sure on size.

The first is a celtic tree of life, and both represent rejuvination and renewal. Have been through a lot mentally with depression and anxiety and I want to beat this as well as getting fit and healthy and this will be my marker/reward/reminder of doing so once I beat it, although a friend has told me not to do so until I am sure I have.

I am basically fishing for advice on making these decisions from people who already have tattoos, or opinions on the design from anyone really.

Another question is that I am planning on building/sculpting my shoulder muscles once I have lost more weight, I'm thinking I am better waiting until then to get the eagle done at least, as otherwise wouldn't it be misshapen afterwards?

Also what experience have other people had of family or friend approval/disapproval, i know its my own body but i know a few will not approve.

Just trying to gather my thoughts as its a pretty big and permanent decision!!!

Sorry for the rambling scatter gun nature of the post!

Are you Celtic or of Celtic origin?!

*just curious*
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    For my taste, going too low on your back looks, well... rather girly. Personally, I wouldn't go lower than the kidney area.

Fair enough that's a good bit of advice and something to think about, hadnt really thought of it but I guess you're right. If i push it up too high though will just look crowded, maybe I need to think about putting the tree somewhere else but not sure where.

*just curious*

My mums half welsh, but no more that I have always bee n interested in celtic/gaelic history and love visiting the outer hebrides in scotland. I am interested in a lot of mythology but wanted something to reflect the meanings and these seemed to fit best.

Did consider a phoenix but they are quite common and more feminine. Also although lots of people go for maori or native indian designs, I'm aware that this is actually a subject of annoyance for some people from these cultures that they have now diluted across the rest of the globe and have less meaning to them on most people if any than they do for people from within the cultural group.
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    Thinking about it further I suppose one option would be to combine the two i guess with the eagle designed around the tree in the centre?
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    My mom hates tattoos. I have 7 of them. :wink:
    At this point when I get a new one, I run to my mom and say "Look what I got! Look what I got!" Mom then gives me that "I don't approve, but you know that and I'm not going to repeat myself" look. hahaha

Mommy loves me with or without tattoos. :heart: :smile:

Although I'm one of 7 kids and was the only one with tattoos until my baby sister got one bigger than all mine put together. hahaha Mom doesn't like that one either. But it's our "problem" (as she sees it) to deal with. haha

As for designing, get the artist who is going to do the tattoo, to design it. And make sure you go over all the details. You will be wearing it forever, so make sure it's exactly how you want it. :smile:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. You can have the tattoo artist design it or have someone else design it and have the tattoo artist put it on. Either way take a look at a few artists and go with which one you like the best. There alot of people with silly tattoos these days, don't be one of them.

I agree with a previous poster. I would say the lower back is a no go area. One of my buddies made a mistake of getting himself a tattoo on his lower back. He still hasn't heard the end of it.

The eagle looks cool though bro. SO does the tree. However I wasn't a big fan of combining them together. I think it would be too much and you'd lose the integrity of the individual pieces. My two cents anyway . . .
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. You can have the tattoo artist design it or have someone else design it and have the tattoo artist put it on. Either way take a look at a few artists and go with which one you like the best. There alot of people with silly tattoos these days, don't be one of them.

I agree with a previous poster. I would say the lower back is a no go area. One of my buddies made a mistake of getting himself a tattoo on his lower back. He still hasn't heard the end of it.

The eagle looks cool though bro. SO does the tree. However I wasn't a big fan of combining them together. I think it would be too much and you'd lose the integrity of the individual pieces. My two cents anyway . . .

Tattoos on the leg/calf is a more popular spot for men.... IMO.
    Most tattoos on men that hit the lower back are because the tattoo takes the entire back, or it wraps from the side or something. At least, that's what I've seen... I could be wrong though.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Fair enough that's a good bit of advice and something to think about, hadnt really thought of it but I guess you're right. If i push it up too high though will just look crowded, maybe I need to think about putting the tree somewhere else but not sure where.
    Shoulder blade, middle of upper back, upper arms, and upper chest are good spots for men -- and also places where you can keep them to yourself if the event they might jeopardize your work situation.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

*just curious*

My mums half welsh, but no more that I have always bee n interested in celtic/gaelic history and love visiting the outer hebrides in scotland. I am interested in a lot of mythology but wanted something to reflect the meanings and these seemed to fit best.

Did consider a phoenix but they are quite common and more feminine. Also although lots of people go for maori or native indian designs, I'm aware that this is actually a subject of annoyance for some people from these cultures that they have now diluted across the rest of the globe and have less meaning to them on most people if any than they do for people from within the cultural group.

Yeah, I don't get it, it'd be like me getting a Chinese symbol... but whatever floats your boat!
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    Shoulder blade, middle of upper back, upper arms, and upper chest are good spots for men -- and also places where you can keep them to yourself if the event they might jeopardize your work situation.

am thinking upper chest on left side for tree now as again if have eagle between shoulder blades anything else will look a bit crowded. Also dont think tree would work on arms or calves, and am not yet sure about arm tattoos whether they would work for me. do like sleeves though just not sure would suit me. Have a mate with a massive polynesian mask tattoo on his calf but he is 23 stone 6'2 of muscle!!!
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    Yeah, I don't get it, it'd be like me getting a Chinese symbol... but whatever floats your boat!

Fair enough but need some kind of inspiration behind it, can't just get a tattoo i've recovered or renewal on me lol. not much to base on from my origins being bog standard english with a little welsh mixed in!!
  • BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes the eagle on your upper back would be bad *kitten*! As for the tree, id say on you peck but if you want it large that would not work.. Maybe center of your chest! or rib area :)
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I love the tree, and may have to steal that idea for myself as well, since I'm looking for ideas for my 8th tattoo. :wink: I agree with several comments made. Lower back is girlie. I would NOT combine the two as you want them to each tell their own story.

I got my first tattoo at 135 pounds, and my last one at 275 pounds, and have now lost over a hundred pounds, and none of mine are misshapen. They all still look great. I wouldn't worry too much about the gaining/losing aspect unless you plan on becoming very defined, which could alter the shape of the tattoo. Even then, I don't think it would alter the shape except when you're flexing.

Also, it makes no difference what other people think of your tats. They are your own personal choice and an expression of your beliefs. I am a professional and work in an office, and most of mine can be covered. I have one on my wrist that my coworkers see often, and nobody has EVER made a negative comment.