Cooking Xmas dinner - how do I disguise healthy food ?

Options
2»

Replies

• TVISmith
    TVISmith Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has loads of holiday recipes lightened up...that website is awesome!
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    not really answering your question....but google search a recipe for fried garlicky green beans. We had these at Thanksgiving in place of green bean casserole. We didnt miss the casserole one bit and are going to be having them for Christmas dinner.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you have to disguise your food if everyone likes it. What is your menu for christmas dinner?

What to show that food does not need lashings of fat, salt and sugar to be good.

Actually, I have no issues with fats, salt or sugar for special meals, even if they aren't holiday meals. I just don't do it every week or month even.

No, I was just thinking if you were making sweet potatos you could leave out the sugar and marshmallows. For me they are great, just the way they are. I don't see basting a turkey with butter or other fat as a big deal either.

Figure your meal will consist of a protein (turkey? ham? beef tenderloin? ) green veggies (lots to choose from), maybe potatos, yams, squash, whatever, and deserts. I don't think you'll have any trouble making something everyone likes.

My guess is everyone will like what you prepare and remember, this is only one meal and a special meal at that. If you add some more fat or carbs than normal it won't make a difference in the long run.

Have a great holiday and enjoy good food and family.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Sorry, double post.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I understand your puzzlement, but if you are inviting people to YOUR home for Christmas dinner, then they should be thankful for the meal that was provided....

My husband and I stopped inviting HIS MOTHER AND SISTER about 10 years ago. They both had the balls to criticize my cooking as being too healthy and no "real holiday foods"... Mind you, I have several medical problems that requires my cooking everything 100% from scratch with only whole foods. I still make my husband's favorites as I feel he should not have to go without... but he eats everything that I make also. He even likes the fact of not having starchy foods all the time as he feels completely different and more alert when he goes without it... but, he loves my old school homemade stuffing.

So - prior to getting rid of MIL and SIL, we always told them, you are more than welcome to bring in a dish that you like to the table. I never had a problem with that. But they made it a whole frigging fiasco.

When she opened up about my table being too healthy, my husband gave it to her real firm - "youre insulting my wife's cooking. She preps and cooks for 24 hours straight every year to share with you and Katie, and all you are doing is being rude in our home.. perhaps you need to leave and go without?"

She sat there in shock! Her daughter had a nasty look and then I had to open up at that point and asked them to leave. She looked to her son for support, but he sat there and agreed "You both need to leave if you are going to be nasty and ungrateful"...

I got up from the table and left the room I was so fuming.

I used to work as a full time chef.... they had a five course meal ready to be served, DAMNIT!!!!

So, now its just my husband and I... My daughter comes home to visit with her boyfriend at our place for dessert and coffee... We get the so-very-obvious hints of his mother and sister wanting to come over every year, but we tell her the truth, we already made plans...

You make your meal the way you intend it to be... enjoy the kitchen, enjoy creating and preparing..... and definitely DO NOT put up with anyone who isnt appreciative of your efforts either...

How rude. Next time your husband should say to them "you don't like our cooking, why would you want to come to dinner?" I just don't understand people that are so dead set against eating anything that isn't loaded with fat.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

How rude. Next time your husband should say to them "you don't like our cooking, why would you want to come to dinner?" I just don't understand people that are so dead set against eating anything that isn't loaded with fat.

TELL me about it! Its gonna be her loss completely again...

This year we are firing up the smoker!!!!!!!!!! I bought a fresh ham to work with. Sunday night, I will be preparing it up with one of my spice-rub concoctions, reserving some of the rub for making a homemade basting/BBQ sauce.

I am doing roasted red potato w/a variety of onions, gahhhhlic, a rosemary-infused olive oil and fleur de del (for hubby)

My homemade apple-carrot stuffing which uses pumperknickel, sourdough cubed bread, fresh herbs, fresh made vegetable stock, a compound butter that has real maple syrup, diced heirloom carrots, granny and golden apple, celery, vidalia, raisins baby bella mushrooms.

Fresh roasted/homemade garden-style tomato soup (yup, totally from scratch!) using vine-ripen tomatoes for my soup base, and diced zucchini, summer squash, onion, rainbow peppers, carrots, spinach with fresh shaved parmesan to go on top, lightly seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and fresh-roasted onions and olive oil.

Steamed broccoli using white zinfandel, lemon and gahhhlic

Spiced carrots that are oven-roasted.. they are almost like CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im also making a homemade baked Mac & Cheese for my husband... usually its a variety of six cheeses. Im planning on making extra of the cheese sauce, and will grab my Shirataki "macaroni" tofu noodles, and make my own that I know I can have! 8-)

Dessert - I make two.. one that my husband and after-dinner guests have, and then one that I know I can have without getting sick or flaring up.

Hubby gets my homemade "Grasshopper" Dessert Cake. Devils Food cake, poked with Kahlua, middle layers are made with Godiva White Chocolate liqueur, the outer frosting layer is made with Dark Creme-de-minthe, frozen/broken Andes Candies as a garnish and real fresh whipped cream to go on top!

My dessert, I make a mock Wildberry Cheesecake! I take almonds, and make an almond-meal crust with a little butter. My cheesecake filling is creamcheese, SF Wildberry Jello, real whipped cream and then I have a wild-berry mix of fresh blueberries, strawberries, black/red raspberries right on top! Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! My husband LOVES this dessert!!!! Ive even done it as individual trifles too!

I never feel like I go without!!!!
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options

This year we are firing up the smoker!!!!!!!!!! I bought a fresh ham to work with. Sunday night, I will be preparing it up with one of my spice-rub concoctions, reserving some of the rub for making a homemade basting/BBQ sauce.

I am doing roasted red potato w/a variety of onions, gahhhhlic, a rosemary-infused olive oil and fleur de del (for hubby)

My homemade apple-carrot stuffing which uses pumperknickel, sourdough cubed bread, fresh herbs, fresh made vegetable stock, a compound butter that has real maple syrup, diced heirloom carrots, granny and golden apple, celery, vidalia, raisins baby bella mushrooms.

Fresh roasted/homemade garden-style tomato soup (yup, totally from scratch!) using vine-ripen tomatoes for my soup base, and diced zucchini, summer squash, onion, rainbow peppers, carrots, spinach with fresh shaved parmesan to go on top, lightly seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and fresh-roasted onions and olive oil.

Spiced carrots that are oven-roasted.. they are almost like CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im also making a homemade baked Mac & Cheese for my husband... usually its a variety of six cheeses. Im planning on making extra of the cheese sauce, and will grab my Shirataki "macaroni" tofu noodles, and make my own that I know I can have! 8-)

Dessert - I make two.. one that my husband and after-dinner guests have, and then one that I know I can have without getting sick or flaring up.

Hubby gets my homemade "Grasshopper" Dessert Cake. Devils Food cake, poked with Kahlua, middle layers are made with Godiva White Chocolate liqueur, the outer frosting layer is made with Dark Creme-de-minthe, frozen/broken Andes Candies as a garnish and real fresh whipped cream to go on top!

My dessert, I make a mock Wildberry Cheesecake! I take almonds, and make an almond-meal crust with a little butter. My cheesecake filling is creamcheese, SF Wildberry Jello, real whipped cream and then I have a wild-berry mix of fresh blueberries, strawberries, black/red raspberries right on top! Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! My husband LOVES this dessert!!!! Ive even done it as individual trifles too!

With a spread like that! I would NEVER complain!

I'm actually salivating!

Cheers all for the ideas.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    1. Gravy
    2. Groucho glasses
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has loads of holiday recipes lightened up...that website is awesome!

I was going to say the same thing! I have been eying up this recipe (and drooling :P): http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/12/spinach-prosciutto-and-mozzarella.html
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie is awesome without the crust. I use condensed skim milk in place of the full fat condensed and I use 2 eggs and 2 egg whites. We use real cream on top.
    If you want an even lower calorie recipe, Skinnytaste has one.
  • matchpoint312
    matchpoint312 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We eat shrimp cocktail as an appetizer, which is a healthy option. I always put out nuts and dried fruit, a little cheese/crackers and then veggies with a greek yogurt based dip.

I've had brined turkeys (you can buy them brined or brine it yourself) and they are super juicy and flavorful without needing to add a lot of butter.

Stuffing is great with butter so I think just cut back a bit and I love lots of sage to give it a wonderful flavor. Just don't eat as much of it! :-) Sourdough bread is nice too.

My brother roasts his turkeys on top of a few vegetables (carrots, turnips, etc.) and blends them into his gravy to thicken it and add flavor and it is freaking delicious!

Lastly, I make a cobbler dessert that uses very little sugar (just use a nice sweet fruit like apples, blueberries, etc.) and simply put lots of fruit and with an oatmeal crumble on top. Adding lots of vanilla, a little margarine and a little brown sugar really makes it yummy.
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think it is wonderful that you are cooking healthy for everyone! But dont stress out if you have a few "unhealthy" things like the pudding. Moderation is key. If your family would like some traditional food items like pudding and you aren't sure how to make it. Why not ask them to bring it.

My sister and I ALWAYS cook on the healthier side for holidays. I don't even mention that I omitted the butter or used fat free cream cheese. I just serve it and people eat it!

The most important thing is that you will all be together.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

Can you send me a care package!! PLEASE!! This sounds awesome!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Not following why you need to add any fat to a deliberately fattened up turkey, there are cooking methods whereby it bastes in it's natural fats and juices. You could marinade the breast area for 24 hours and/ or cook covered long and slow until the meat is falling apart. Steamed vegetables are not nearly as tasty as caramelised roasted ones regardless of whether you use the juices/ fats from the bird or olive oil. Personally I like roasted vegetables to be as many colours as possible - bell peppers and aubergines for example. Just get a better ratio of tasty and imaginative vegetable dishes to potatoes and meat than average: whilst I think sprouts are the work of the devil my father does them with garlic and parmesan cheese, broccoli is good with flaked almonds and cranberries. There are many stuffing recipes using nuts, apples, mushrooms and dried fruit (cranberries or apricots).