Calling all seafood lovers!

TalonaCat
TalonaCat Posts: 241
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I am currently looking for more ways to add fish to my diet. We just purchased some mahi mahi and red snapper, but are always open to other suggestions.

What's your favorite type of fish? Also looking for wonderful fish recipes to add try out for my family. I am actually extremely allergic to shellfish, so sadly none of that for me. :(

So, let me have it!

Replies

• lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    I always keep a can of salmon handy for those fish nights.

Check out recipezaar if you have not already.

They have great recipes with member submitted photos and you can save recipes and create cookbooks.
  • I grill all my fish; never bake or fry it unless I'm at the cottage.

Fresh salmon fillets with lemon and dill or with a light teriyaki glaze is incredible!

Or, if you like trout, you can grill it whole, stuffed with lemon slices.

Scallops are also fantastic, either sautéed in olive oil with a little fresh ground pepper, or grilled. They're also ridiculously low calorie and high in protein.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    I eat fish tacos just about every day for lunch. It's worked out well for me so far ;)

They're pretty easy to make at home too, especially if you have a "George Forman" type grill.
  • TalonaCat
    I eat fish tacos just about every day for lunch. It's worked out well for me so far ;)

They're pretty easy to make at home too, especially if you have a "George Forman" type grill.

I do! My husband accuses me of having a love affair with that George Forman grill! :-D
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member

That sounds good. I've never made fish tacos...how do you prepare them?
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    I was gonna suggest tacos but CMW beat me to the punch. Those are great for cooking for a whole family. You can grill or saute your fish, whole wheat or corn tortillas and lots of veggies and salsa!
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    My wonderful husband is a very hard working commercial fisherman so luckily I get extra fresh seafood al the time. Don't know what part of the country you live but we really enjoy Flounder, Rockfish, Tuna and Drum. Especially the Rock, my kids will actually fight who gets the last pieces of that, it's a firm, streak meat fish. YUM!! OK, now you've got me craving fish!!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Broiled Parmasen Tilapia -- Yumm! We just had it last night.

Mix together a few TBLs of Smart Balance butter, add 1/2 cup of Parmesean cheese, a little lemon juice, black pepper. Spread about 2 lbs. of the filets (we bought a huge bag at WalMart) on a baking sheet. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove from the oven, cover them with Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    That sounds good. I've never made fish tacos...how do you prepare them?

This is how I do it ...

First off, hit your Foreman grill or your frying pan with a little Pam to keep the fish from sticking.

Then take your filets, rinse them off well, and add whatever seasonings you like. I like lots of lemon pepper personally.

Cook the filets on medium to med/high for about five minutes, until they start to fall apart.

Next, I carefully pull them off the grill and place them on a plate. Then I squeeze some fresh lime juice onto them.

I start with a Reser's Baja Cafe 8" Flour tortilla (110 calories), warmed. To that I add:
    - 2-3 ounces of pico de gallo (might be too much for some)
    - 1/2 ounce of medium cheddar cheese
    - about an ounce of fish
    - 1/2 ounce of fat-free sour cream
    - a very tiny amount of tartar sauce, though you could certainly do without.
    - chopped lettuce to suit. I go for the crispier part of the head here, to give it some crunch.
    - another squeeze of lime juice

That should clock in at roughly 250 calories.

That's pretty non-traditional though. Traditional fish tacos would probably include cabbage instead of lettuce, and be served on fried corn tortillas, and would most likely not have cheese or sour cream.
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    Bump
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I like doing shrimp tacos, also I love baking tilapia and making blackened tilapia in a pan with oil. Both are simple and fast and come out amazing!! If you like spicy stuff, definitely go for the tilapia. I have the recipe in my old phone, I'll get it to you as soon as I can get into it. :) Baking it is easy. I just throw it in a pan with some olive oil on the bottom. Mix some bread crumbs or stuffing with melted butter (I use whatever spread I have at the time) and coat the top of the tilapia with it. Bake it for like 20 minutes, then when it comes out, squirt it with some lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. This is super good with Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Herb Rice and some green beans.
  • TalonaCat
    Thanks everyone!!! :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,996 Member
    Halibut is one of my favorites.
  • lilmestydaze
    lilmestydaze Posts: 28 Member
    I am not a big fish fan, but I bought frozen salmon and it is really easy to cook. Just put it in the oven for 45min to an hour and season it with Mrs. Dash or whatever you prefer. It is really tasty. Another thing that is real good is a tuna quesodilla. You can buy the packs of flavored tuna and it is super yummy with cheese and a tortilla. If you can find a good low fat cheese and wheat tortilla then it may be a healthy option.
    Another good tuna recipe is using tuna and mixing it up with onion, mandarin oranges, and red wine vinegar. Then putting it into half of a bell pepper. It is really easy and tasty!
  • I buy the froze salmon steaks from Walmart and they are really good!
    I like to pan fry them with lemon juice & garlic salt and add it to my salads.
  • Mrs_Demeanor
    Mrs_Demeanor Posts: 8 Member
    I've been putting tuna (regular canned in water tuna) on a tortilla like bread (light italian flat out bread) with a peice of cheese. Then I fold it in half and grill it on the george foreman grill. It's not fresh, but it's very tasty and faast!!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    I"m a huge fan of the Alaskan Salmon at Sam's Club. They are marinated and all you have to do is bake or grill them.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Thanks cmw72. I will have to give that a try.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    I know this isn't for everyone, but personally I LOVE sushi. And if you'd rather go without the carbs you can order plain sashimi, acquired taste perhaps, but certainly worth trying! =)
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Dinner tonight was seafood risotto--a little heavy on the carbs, perhaps, but a delicious family treat once in a while.
This discussion has been closed.