Vegetarians- Soy products

I have been a vegetarian for most of my life. I eat Morningstar meatless products pretty often. I just took a health class in school and I read that you should not exceed 3 servings of soy a week. Is there an alternative that I can replace it with? I feel like that's my main source of protein, since I do not eat meat. I know of protein snacks and things, but for MEALS, what are my other options?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Whey protein powder
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    I like almond milk best than soya...
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Nuts, seeds, legumes, seitan, quinoa, hemp hearts (I'm not sure if they are considered seeds), and veggies all have protein. It's a good idea not to eat the same thing everyday whether you are veg. or omni.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I have been a vegetarian for most of my life. I eat Morningstar meatless products pretty often. I just took a health class in school and I read that you should not exceed 3 servings of soy a week. Is there an alternative that I can replace it with? I feel like that's my main source of protein, since I do not eat meat. I know of protein snacks and things, but for MEALS, what are my other options?

Proessed soy is the problem more than soy in general. I have soy milk every day, though, and I'm fine.

However, if you can find Quorn brand products, use those instead. I actually prefer the taste. They're the ONLY veggie burgers that I don't need to dump a ton of toppings on just to stomach the taste. Very yummy, actually.

They're mushroom-based vegtable protein instead of soy.

(And, also, you can just cook things from scratch. There were vegetarians long before the fake meat products.)
  • Sugarhiccup03
    Sugarhiccup03 Posts: 88 Member
    I'm vegetarian as well ;). There us also quinoa, Greek yogurt, beans, nuts, peanut butter and almond butter but you've gotta be careful with those two because they are quite fattening.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I used to drink soy religiously - it was my source of protein.

Then my body decided it no longer liked it and I became seriously sick.. >.>

It's a very hard to digest plant product.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    When I first became a vegetarian I relied on the "fake meat." It's way too high in sodium. Now I turn to beans, lentils, quinoa etc. So yummy!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I like almond milk best than soya...

almond milk has little to no protein, and she was not referring to milk substitutes, yet rather meat substitutes.

OP: Dairy, hemp, nuts, seeds, legumes, etc
  • EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    "I just took a health class in school and I read that you should not exceed 3 servings of soy a week."

Why? Please elaborate as I too generally eat more that 3 servings of soy a week.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Nuts, seeds, legumes, seitan, quinoa, hemp hearts (I'm not sure if they are considered seeds), and veggies all have protein. It's a good idea not to eat the same thing everyday whether you are veg. or omni.

this.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    I eat a lot of (vegetarian, not vegan) Quorn roasts and fake 'meats'--it's egg white and mushroom protein, and really the closest thing to sort-of-chicken that I have run into. I used to enjoy wheat gluten/seitan products, but find that wheat is bad for me and bloats me up. I also always go for organic soy/tofu/etc. and other products whenever I can, since chemicals etc. mess me up. Organic lentils and some beans are great for vegetarian protein too--I make a thing I call hobo stew pretty much every week, of different whatever-is-on-sale etc., and it's always good: some sort of soup or sauce, organic quinoa and/or lentils and/or beans, some fake meat usually and whatever fresh organic vegetables are around, and it can last me most of a week--travels fine to work or whatever too in containers, and gets tastier by the day. I also have Yves tofu dogs, but I forget what their main ingredients are--explore! There are good things around==
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    "I just took a health class in school and I read that you should not exceed 3 servings of soy a week."

Why? Please elaborate as I too generally eat more that 3 servings of soy a week.

I think it's due to the levels of estrogen analogs in it--it can act like excessive hormones in people, the way light and other chemicals can. I don't have link now, but suggest looking it up through dogpile.com or similar--
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    I make up a salad with lamb's lettuce, boiled eggs ( crumbled, and walnuts. A little vinigrette with it. Lovely and quite a bit of protein.
  • rose_turtle
    rose_turtle Posts: 20 Member
    I'm allergic to soy, and don't like the texture of most meat substitutes (I stopped eating meat because I don't like the texture as much as because I don't want to eat animals.) I eat a lot of beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds (love quinoa!) and eggs once or twice a month. My husband like meat substitutes but limits soy due to the hormone replicating factors. Quorn is his favorite poultry substitute. We tried their roast for Thanksgiving and he loved it. We also buy the original Gardenburgers.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    i wouldn't worry about with these types of processed vegetarian products, they are not all soy, they have wheat gluten and other vegetarian proteins in them.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Quinoa is a complete protein, too.

You do not have to eat all of the essential amino acids in a single food or single meal, however. By combining legumes and beans, grains and rice, dairy, and nuts and seeds in a meal or in a day's menu you can get sufficient protein.
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years....and I don't eat the "fake meat" stuff at all....kinda grosses me out....I rely heavily on beans, eggs, cheese, yogurt -(loving Dannon light and Fit Greek Yogurt...only 80 calories!! :happy: ) And I will look for things like cereal that contains high protein, oatmeal, cream of wheat...etc....
    Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Magical Loaf Studio rocks!!! You pick the ingredients and it tells you how to make it. There are non-soy options.

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html
  • So sorry, guys!! I went back and read it again and it says not to exceed 3 servings of soy A DAY not a week. My mistake...I don't know how I got an A in that class. Someone asked why it says that. At first it says that soy consumption may reduce the risk for breast and prostate cancer and then it says that there is a study that shows that it may actually increase the risk for breast cancer. It says until more data becomes available, the University of California Wellness Letter has issued the recommendations: 1) Do not exceed three servings of soy per day. 2) Limit soy intake to just a few servings per week is you have/had breast cancer. and 3) Avoid soy supplements, as they may contain higher levels of isoflavones than those found in soy foods. Individuals with a history of breast cancer and women who are pregnant or lactating should them all together.

What are soy supplements?
    And thanks for the advice, everyone. I am going to eat less of the processed soy stuff, and am going to try some of the other suggestions.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Eggs?