Weight Gain with PMS?

Options
I suffer from PMS symptoms for a week, then enjoy a week of feeling normal, followed promptly by a week long visit from the dreaded Aunt Flo. During the PMS week, I gain weight. As in, substantially. In the last 4 days, I've gained 4lbs. It's completely frustrating for me, because I've been really 'good' and have not gone over on calories. My husband says, "Oh, you've come so far already, just let a few lbs go here and there." I love hearing this from him, of course, but it's not a 'few lbs' it's 4 freaking lbs when I'm so so so close to my latest goal. Am I the only one who experiences this? I do also suffer from PCOS, but I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's water weight. It's common. Also, with PCOS, you just need to be very low carb, usually 100g or less.
  • xelalarenee
    Options
    Yeah, Dr. Google said water weight as well. 4lbs just seemed like a lot. I've gone from 220 to 154 (well, now 158 - damn it). I try to keep carbs to a minimum. Thanks psulemon. :)
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This had me freaked out this week, too! It had me feeling totally discouraged :(

I'm going to try and ignore the 4-5lbs I supposedly gained and just wait until next week to log it.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I usually "gain" anywhere from 3 to 6 lbs when I'm PMSing... I sometimes tell myself that it will go away in a week but it usually doesn't. It also doesn't help that I'm in the middle of an emotional tail spin too when this happens. Listen to your husband, don't beat yourself up over something that's out of your control. Try looking at yourself through his eyes and tell yourself that you don't look great. :flowerforyou:
  • xelalarenee
    Options
    I am SO RELIEVED that it isn't just me. I stepped on the scale this morning (as usual) and it was like being slapped in the face. Doing everything right and having your body just point and laugh at you is NOT fun.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I gain up to 10lbs during mine, talk about frustrating:( well at least it goes away soon as its over.
  • xelalarenee
    Options
    Wow, now that would be hard to handle. I would tailspin for sure. :(
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    wait until you are pushing 50 and menopause is causing your periods to last 3 weeks! you get one week off and it starts again...I'm starting to feel like I'll be 60 before I see my real weight again!! good thing my clothes are getting looser, or I would be even *****ier than I already am!! (poor husband).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind, to gain 4 lbs of fat, you need to eat an additional 14,000 calories above your TDEE. That means, you would probably need to eat well over 3,000 calories a day.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    COMPLETELY normal and I am going through this right now..4 lbs. here, too....been up since last Friday.... SUCKS! But I just keep going knowing it's water weight!
  • xelalarenee
    Options
    The 14,000 calorie fact has turned my mood around! I may just ignore the scale for a week, and keep up with my hard work. Otherwise, I get down about it, spiral into a 'well just forget this whole thing then' mood, and end up worse off.