Hot drinks (low cal) for cold days.

Options
Since starting my new lifestyle I have eliminated all beverages with caffeine, sugar, etc. Essentially I live on water and the occasional Sprite zero. I really miss my hot spiced Chai tea latte. I also enjoyed hot chocolate, hot apple cider, etc. Does anyone have any hot drink ideas that don't have the sugar and caffeine that I am trying to avoid?

Replies

• BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I actually drink hot water throughout the day. My office is *freezing*, so I need the heat to warm up, but I can't drink caffeine afternoon, and I'm not a big herbal tea drinker. You can add a little lemon if you want to add flavor.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Herbal teas is all I can think of. I like Jasmine tea and green tea.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    decaffeinated tea
  • SuzieQ724
    SuzieQ724 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I too gave up all sugar and caffeine. I love herbal teas and am partial to Republic of Tea White Vanilla Coconut Tea. Cost is $15 for 50 tea bags. Enjoy!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hot water with lemon is great! I drink a lot of tea and there are tons of varieties out there that are caffeine free which is great. Decaf coffee works as well if you either drink it without sugar or use a calorie free sweetener.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I will have to try the lemon water and see if I can find a caffine free tea that I like.

I tried a sugar free apple cider mix that is different. I wouldn't drink it a lot but I guess it is better than nothing.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't know about where you live, but tea boutiques are getting pretty popular around here. You could probably go to one and ask to sample a bunch of caffeine-free teas. There are a lot of really tasty ones, although I'm partial to a nice green tea. :)
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Tea is huge so there are a lot of options out there. I love green tea with a bit of lemon and a touch of honey! However the taste grows on you. There are also tons of flavoured varieties (I have blueberry, peach and mango, licorice, lemon, etc). Most grocery stores should have a sample pack where you can try out a few diffferent teas without buying a full package. Or check out any tea stores you have in your area. There is a few where I am that sell tons of different varieties and you can either taste in the store or buy small amounts to bring home. Also at the bulk store where I am there are tons of options there and the great thing is you can buy a bag of each to try without buying a lot of it in case you don't like it. That's how I discovered which teas I liked and which ones I didn't.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Since starting my new lifestyle I have eliminated all beverages with caffeine, sugar, etc. Essentially I live on water and the occasional Sprite zero. I really miss my hot spiced Chai tea latte. I also enjoyed hot chocolate, hot apple cider, etc. Does anyone have any hot drink ideas that don't have the sugar and caffeine that I am trying to avoid?

Why caffeine, when it is beneficial for weight loss?
  • engineergirl
    engineergirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just this week discovered a "hot chocolate" alternative if you will. I use 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder, mix well with 8 ounces of cold water. Then I add 4-8 ounces or so of coffee (you could easily use decaf or water) and mix again. The texture and taste is very much like hot chocolate, and it's an extra jolt of protein!
  • ZilaBlaze
    Options
    I love Crystal Light hot. The Sunrise ruby red graefruit is really good. A friend turned me on to it when i was looking for something to substitute hot cocoa or apple cider for my diabetic nephew. Now we both drink it. Try it :)
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Why caffeine, when it is beneficial for weight loss?

That part had nothing to do with the weight loss, I was sick of feeling tired all the time when I didn't have enough, and if I didn't get any then I would end up with a horrible headache. Since I cut it out completely I sleep better, feel more awake and don't get the headaches.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    options hot chocolate - tons of flavours and max. 40 cals a cup :) can get a "luxury" range for 60 cals.

flavours include: belgian choc, mocha, orange, caramel, hazelnut, white, coconut etc
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oregon Chai has a sugar free concentrate mix and I make mine with unsweetened vanilla almond milk...it's really good!
  • lisagyo
    lisagyo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think Swiss Miss has a Diet hot chocolate, it is only 25 calories per pouch. I keep some in the house and at work for when I am craving chocolate and don't feel like tea. I don't like coffee.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    warmed unsweetened almond milk & sugar free torani chocolate syrup = hot chocolate

you can still have chai tea. Add some cream or franken-milk (almond milk, coconut milk from dairy sec, etc)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    just started peppermint herbal tea, great for tummy troubles too :happy:
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee and almond milk with some sugar-free flavoring (choc, vanilla, etc.). Can drink it hot or cold.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yogi Tea brand, the Organic Chai Rooibos flavor.
    Caffeine and sugar free.

At night I make a cup of it by steeping the tea bag in a mug mixed with half a cup of heated nonfat milk and the other half hot water.

No sugar or caffeine, and a mere 45 calories.

Of course you can steep the bag just in hot water for zero calories, but with the milk it's one of my nightly treats.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking peppermint tea. No calories, no caffeine!