Calorie Intake

Options
Hi there! I understand that it's important to reach or come close to the calorie intake, but I'm having trouble. I could easily meet the 1200 calories by eating unhealthy foods, but since I have changed my eating habits, I often find myself 400 calories short. I'm trying not to eat when I'm not hungry, but should I be eating more if I can't reach the goal? Is that healthy?

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You need to eat healthy calorie dense food.

Nuts
    Avocado
    Olive Oil

etc etc
  • Novaine
    Options
    I had the same problem. Try eating really calorie-dense foods like avocado or nuts.
    I like a spoon of peanut butter here or there too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can also add cheese, high calorie protein bar or drink, or I usually go to town on a peanut butter jar. it's ok to drink calories too.

And no it's not healthy. And in fact, if you exercise, even 1200 won't be enough.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is probably not enough food for you (unles you are a 10 year old kid). I would suggest upping them based on TDEE method (you can search for the roadmap discussion for info).

As for getting enough, we all did just fine before we started losing weight getting calories...so we all know it is not that difficult. Eat higher calorie items such as nuts and oils. Eat lots of protein (I shoot for 130g a day). Just adding nuts (24 almonds is nearly 200 calories) will make a huge difference for you.

Best of luck to you!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    it's not that hard...add peanut butter, if you have toast in the morning, have 2 slices not one, an apple with peanut butter, nuts, if you have a salad add chicken, beef or walnuts or something on top
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Hummus
    Olive oil
    Butter
    Red meat (bacon :-))
    Nuts

Google calorie dense foods.

Fat is not the enemy... You need some fats... Good fats.

800 calories is not good at all... Get it up and you'll have the energy to live your life.

Good luck!
  • crbf
    crbf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! I'm making a grocery list right now! :)
  • awerewka
    awerewka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As for getting enough, we all did just fine before we started losing weight getting calories...so we all know it is not that difficult.

This^^^ x100
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You may have to re-evaluate what you consider "healthy foods." Currently, the food you eat is NOT healthy because you are not giving your body enough nutrients.