Using the Polar FT7 in water

Options
Hello MFP's -

Last night I tried using my HRM (Polar FT7) during my 60 minute water tabata class - and I worked dayum hard. However my HRM said I burned only 102 calories. I know that is incorrect. Do any of you have an experience using it in water? Am I not wearing it tight enough? Is it just not as accurate in water? Any feedback/experience you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    Anyone?
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Try changing the sensor battery :)
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

has to go to manufacturer for that
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and I do use it when I swim. I've also found that the calorie burn seems awfully low but I have no idea if it's accurate or not. I know I FEEL like I'm working really hard!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You have to have the chest strap really, really tight so it stays in contact with your skin the whole time.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options

*phooey* I didn't realize it was different from my FT4 sensor
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's the new sensor it can be changed at home. Only the older models had to be returned.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've read that your max heart rate changes depending on the activity you're doing .. running vs. cycling vs. swimming. It could be that you might have you adjust your settings to account for the difference.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and tried it in water and it wouldn't register my HR in water but would out of water. Haven't tried it again since then but I think the strap has to be really tight. Water tabatas sound awesome! What types of things do you do in class? I would love more info:)
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've used mine when swimming and the calorie burn is lower than if I spend the same amount of time cycling or running, but my average heart rate is also lower so I just figured it was accurate enough.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You can change it yourself... If it seems accurate the rest of the time though I wouldn't bother. Something about the amount of chlorine in the water I heard... If there's a lot it won't work. Don't understand why but some science talk went on to confirm it. I've given up on my polar all together. Drives me bonkers with not working properly! X
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You have to have the chest strap really, really tight so it stays in contact with your skin the whole time.

^^This. And by really, really tight...we mean almost to the point of being uncomfortable. Seriously. Otherwise it doesn't read correctly.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

*phooey* I didn't realize it was different from my FT4 sensor

It's not. You can change it yourself on the FT7. I believe the older ones you didn't used to be able to.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    The FT7 you can change your own battery on the sensor and the watch.

I use mine in water all the time and works great. I would for sure change the battery!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options

No it doesn't. Look it up in the manual. I changed the battery in my sensor and didn't have to send it to them. It was very easy. The Battery was like 8 bux at Radio Shack.
  • alancheng
    Options
    My theory is two fold. Despite the chest strap reading your heart rate under water (mine can't), when you exercise rigorously like doing a forward crawl the strap sometimes get dislodged from your chest, so the reading becomes on-and-off. I notice this trying swimming with the strap, practicing martial arts, or doing ab work; the sensor patches may dis-adhere from my chest. Hence you may only pick up part of the calorie count.

The other thing is the HRM measures how hard the heart is pumping blood. When your body is horizontal, the heart doesn't exert as much compared to when standing upright and working against gravity. That's not to say you're major muslces aren't working hard or merely burning few calories, but your body being horizontal may trick the HRM to report you're not even active. I notice this when weightlifting upright and reaching anaerobic zone, then lying down for ab work the heart rate drops to recovery and not increasing much despite an intense routine, only to report normally high heart rate when standing again.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

You can change the batteries for an FT7 all by yourself.

The chest strap can not broadcast reliably to the watch while underwater.

http://www.polar.fi/en/support/product_support?document=/gip/PKBStoGIP.nsf/LINK/x5AAE8855A026372342256B92003372CD?OpenDocument

good luck.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I wear my FT7 for swimming every week. I've read some folks having errors on theirs but mine works perfectly. Swimming laps I burn about 500 cals/h. Maybe yours missed some readings.. stopped.. Make sure your strap is tight and that you do not press the buttons when it's wet.
  • this is good to know that you can wear this in the water. I just ordered one and I was hoping I could wear it while teaching water aerobics
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! I will strap it on tighter, and swap out the battery and give it another try.

:smile: