How many calories to eat when weight lifting?

Options
I recently started weight training (Much heavier than anything I've ever done) 3x a week for an hour. I cut out all cardio by the advice of my trainer (I was a kickboxing cardio rat for 4 years & had plateaued). I guess the idea is to make sure my body has enough calories to build (instead of eat away) muscle. I've been doing power cleans, overhead press, thrusters, squats, lunges, etc with heavy bars & plates.

I used to count calories according to weight loss goal/gender/activity level but I don't know how much to eat if I'm trying to build muscle. Does anyone know a good reference or calculator?

I am 5'6" & 138lbs girl.
Was never fat, but always hoping to get a toned/super fit body!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    10-20% over your TDEE.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To build muscle you need to eat at a suplus. Estimate your TDEE based on your prior results and add about 250 - 350.

ETA: I just noticed you were new to lifting. You can always get the benefit of newb gains and eat at maintenance for a few months before you bulk if you do not wish to gain as bulking will add fat and muscle. It is also better to be more advanced in your lifting so you can make efficient use of the extra food. Unless you are impatient to gain muscle, I would keep to maintenance for a up to 6 months.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Newb question... What is "TDEE"?
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's how many calories you burn every day, based on your stats (height, weight, sex, age) and your lifestyle (sedentary, lightly active, moderatly active, superhero, etc)

Here's a nice breakdown explanation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Total daily energy expenditure.

You can use this website to figure it out:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    I tried a few online calculators, they say about 1900-2000 calories is my TDEE. Which surprises me because I've been eating under that for years with no weight loss :/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I tried a few online calculators, they say about 1900-2000 calories is my TDEE. Which surprises me because I've been eating under that for years with no weight loss :/

They are averages. If you have been eating less than that then there is either an error in the activity levels you are picking or you have a lower BMR (metabolism for want of a better word) than average.

If you have stayed the same weight over a reasonably long period and maintained your weight at a certain calorie intake, then that intake is your TDEE.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I strongly advise you eat at maintenance for 1-3 months. How much you need to eat depends on the intensity of your lifting sessions, and as a beginner you probably haven't hit your stride yet. I would err on the side of being conservative with your calories, especially since your goal right now seems to be fat loss more than gaining large amounts of muscle.
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Okay, I will follow that advice. I wouldn't feel comfortable forcing myself to eat more than I'm used to when I'm still finding my way through the weight lifting. Before I decided to do heavier lifting, I was normally doing squats/lunges with no weight at all and using 25lbs bars when we were told we had to use them (Thrusters & cleans, for example).

Then in the last 2.5 weeks I moved up to 35, 45 & now I am alternating between 35 & 45lbs bars for the exercises I mentioned earlier. Last class I used 45lbs for my front squats but today my trainer had me try 165lbs. It was very difficult for me & my trainer had to help me with the last 2 reps in my sets! Set 1: 5 reps, set 2: 8 reps, set 3: 7 reps. I was scared at the first set that I would fall backwards but I know that I really need to test the boundaries/will power to get results!
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    I just did an online calculator and it said I need 2321 calories to maintain (1447 calories BMR + 874 calories Activity).

So I should be eating 2321 calories (My TDEE)?
    I want to start doing the 5x5 strong lifts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I just did an online calculator and it said I need 2321 calories to maintain (1447 calories BMR + 874 calories Activity).

So I should be eating 2321 calories (My TDEE)?
    I want to start doing the 5x5 strong lifts.

Going by your ticker, you have about 7lb to lose. I would eat to 2,000 which should give you about 3/4 lb loss a week estimate.

ETA: as you have not lost weight for a while, I would eat to approx 2,300 for at least two weeks then take it down to 2,000. After about 4 more weeks, reassess.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    ETA: as you have not lost weight for a while, I would eat to approx 2,300 for at least two weeks then take it down to 2,000. After about 4 more weeks, reassess.

Well, I have been losing weight... Not this week, but the past 3 weeks I was losing 2lbs/week. I've been eating the same calorie amount all year (1300-1500) but in November I eliminated bread/cereal/pasta/rice/etc from my diet & the weight's been coming off. Same calorie amount as always, just no grains :/

11/05....... 144
    11/12........142 (-2)
    11/19........140 (-2)
    11/26........140 **That week I cut cardio & started weight lifting)
    12/03........138 (-2)
    12/10........136(-2)
    12/17........137(+1)
    12/24......
    12/31........
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    I'll change MFP setting to 2000 calories
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Well, I have been losing weight... Not this week, but the past 3 weeks I was losing 2lbs/week. I've been eating the same calorie amount all year (1300-1500) but in November I eliminated bread/cereal/pasta/rice/etc from my diet & the weight's been coming off. Same calorie amount as always, just no grains :/

11/05....... 144
    11/12........142 (-2)
    11/19........140 (-2)
    11/26........140 **That week I cut cardio & started weight lifting)
    12/03........138 (-2)
    12/10........136(-2)
    12/17........137(+1)
    12/24......
    12/31........

Sorry, I read it as though you had been stalled for a while. The 2lb a week would approximate a 1,000 cal deficit, which would put your TDEE at about 2,300, so it seems like you are using a good approximation as your starting point.
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Okay, thank you! Math and I have never been friends in high school, so all these numbers/equations are confusing for me :s