How much are YOU eating?

Options
I just finally read the "in place of a roadmap2.0" (thanks helloitsdan!) and I was thinking maybe I should up my calories. I'm just wondering how other people are doing with this? I'm losing weight with what I am doing, but I'm hungry a lot :(
My stats
1250 calories a day
26 years old
Female
Stay at home mom (sedentary? Lol)
251 (have lost 47lbs since July 19th, 20lbs since November 1st after a slack off on the healthy eating and exercise)

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I doubt that being a SAHM you have a sedentary lifestly. I work a desk job during the day, with little moving around, but when I get home wtih the kids at the end of the day I don't think I sit down until I lay down in my bed!

How tall are you?
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously I read something along the lines, did a different calculator thing that suggested I up to 1700 and I did. Since I haven't been able to keep with my workout regimine the past couple of weeks I was worried I would get back to the gym next week and find I've gained. Instead this morning I wanted to wear Khaki's for a change and came to the conclusion another trip to Goodwill for clothes is in fact needed.... I undergrew my pants again... be it changes in my body from not working out or loss or both I won't know until I get back on the scale at the gym next week, but I know I would be better off going in naked than wearing my khaki's, my brown slacks, or my blue slacks... Naked I don't spend time wasting pulling my britches on :)
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Oops! 5'6"... And I am moving around a bit at home lol one 5yr old daughter who's not in school yet and a 5 month old baby boy :) I use my treadmill 20-30 minutes like 3-4 times a week
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is a popular topic on MFP!

I am short, 5'2", and have a small frame. I started at 1200 calories a day and it was awful. The scales hardly moved, I think the main reason was I was so lethargic I didn't do much incidental exercise. If I wasn't out specifically exercising (eg walking, swimming) I sat on my butt starving. I was also a grumpy cow to be around.

I upped my calories to 1400 which doesn't sound like a big difference but it was amazing. I was happier, had more energy and moved more. I started to lose weight - and fast! Part of this was because I was able to do fairly intense exercise for an hour or so a day.

I'm at my goal weight now and still exercising quite a bit (cardio and strength) so I can eat up to around 1800-2000 which feels decadent!
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously I read something along the lines, did a different calculator thing that suggested I up to 1700 and I did. Since I haven't been able to keep with my workout regimine the past couple of weeks I was worried I would get back to the gym next week and find I've gained. Instead this morning I wanted to wear Khaki's for a change and came to the conclusion another trip to Goodwill for clothes is in fat needed.... I undergrew my pants again... be it changes in my body from not working out or loss or both I won't know until I get back on the scale at the gym next week, but I know I would be better off going in naked... it would be just as effective
    Thanks! I might do it lol I'm scared to gain, but I'm hungry haha
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i eat 2700 cals/day to maintain current weight
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am 42 years old, 5'7'' and am currently 226 pounds. I am eating 1800 calories a day. I was eating less until a few weeks ago. Then I hit a GIANT plateau, and did some reading. I found the In Place of a Road Map thing and decided to up my calories. I stayed at the same weight until this morning, when I dropped 2 pounds. So I think that eating more may work for me.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    So what are we thinking I should be eating? 1400? 1700? Lol
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I went to my dietician and she suggested I should be eating 2400 calories (my BMR) plus all of what I burn working out. I'm a large framed 6' - 270. I had previously lost 130 pounds, then hit wall and could not lose anything. Since eating more calories 2 weeks ago I'm down 3 pounds with no change in my workouts. The nice thing is if I am hungry, I eat something.
  • Colleen118
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously I read something along the lines, did a different calculator thing that suggested I up to 1700 and I did. Since I haven't been able to keep with my workout regimine the past couple of weeks I was worried I would get back to the gym next week and find I've gained. Instead this morning I wanted to wear Khaki's for a change and came to the conclusion another trip to Goodwill for clothes is in fat needed.... I undergrew my pants again... be it changes in my body from not working out or loss or both I won't know until I get back on the scale at the gym next week, but I know I would be better off going in naked... it would be just as effective
    Thanks! I might do it lol I'm scared to gain, but I'm hungry haha

Just make sure your choices are still whole, healthy choices and you will be good. I still find it hard to meet my caloric intake but I don't worry about indulging in a few extra almonds anymore...
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    I am 42 years old, 5'7'' and am currently 226 pounds. I am eating 1800 calories a day. I was eating less until a few weeks ago. Then I hit a GIANT plateau, and did some reading. I found the In Place of a Road Map thing and decided to up my calories. I stayed at the same weight until this morning, when I dropped 2 pounds. So I think that eating more may work for me.
    Wow! You have lost a lot! Wtg :) and thankyou for your response :)
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    3100 to gain about a pound every 2 weeks? maybe a week...
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Ahh baby boy is up from his nappy lol I'll be back to read through this in a bit. Thankyou!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lose on 2000 calories per day. I maintain on about 2300-2400. I'm 37 yrs old, 156 lbs, 5'7" and about 25% body fat. I run, lift, rest, repeat.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and I'm a SAHM... for me that equates to the third level of activity in MFP... not sedentary or even mildly active... the next one up (is it Moderately active?). I burn about 2200 calories/day on a rest day.
  • Colleen118
    Options
    I am trying to find the website for the calculator I used... I thought I bumped the topic to return to it but I can't find it now :(
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    OK, with the numbers you gave, using 1-3 hours a week of "light" exercise (I like to underestimate my exercise but you'll have to twear this on your own) here are the numbers:

BMR: 1929
    TDEE: 2653

20% Calorie Deficit: 2122

SO, there is your starting point. Try to eat at least your BMR, but get as close to the 2122 as you can. Reevaluate your numbers after 5 pound loss. Your numbers will come down as you get closer to your goal weight. But at 1200 calories no wonder you are hungry!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So what are we thinking I should be eating? 1400? 1700? Lol

whatever your TDEE is minus a deficit. i thought you read the thread? :smile:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you use the road map to find out your BMR and TDEE (using the correct activity level) and you set your calorie goal to TDEE minus a deficit of up to 20%, (ensuring that result is above your BMR figure) then logically, so long as you are being honest and logging everything that passes your lips, there is no way that won't lose weight. Your body may take a while to settle down and in some cases has increased a couple of pounds, but once settled you WILL lose weight.

This is simply because the calories going in are less than the calories going out.
  • cem9532
    cem9532 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was eating at 1480 for a while and was starting to get hungry alot. About 2 weeks ago i decided to up it to 1700-1800. I have lost weight both weeks since then and had no issues with hunger. I defenitly say give it a shot! I makes it seem so much easier to maintain that calorie range for the long haul and get the weight off.(plus i dont exercise on a regular basis so you might could get away with even higher) Good Luck
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    What I would do is test the waters out so to speak but just increasing your calories by 100 more a day and stay that way for at least 2 weeks and then if you want you can increase them again the same way as long as your still happy with your progress. Once I reached my goal I did this and I kept losing lol so I had to have cheat days to gain back so hopefully you will find what calorie level works best for you