How much are YOU eating?

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I had 15 lbs to lose and did 1200 NET along with strength and cardio until I hit my goal. I was not that hungry while I did the 1200 NET (mostly because I did significant exercise and ate back a portion). I now eat 1900 NET give or take a few. My maintenance is somewhere around 1900-1960 based on the calculations I've done from the roadmap calcluators.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Lauren I am 5'6" and I lost weight eating 1650 net REALLY fast at the beginning, but I lost weight at a wide range of net calories, anywhere from 1420 as high as 2100. I lost exactly a pound a week at 1420 and at 2100 both, you can lose weight eating high calorie, or low. The only difference is eating low calorie is hard and I hear a lot of people saying they stall out! They hit a plateau!

I eat 2600 net to maintain my weight of 135 pounds. I keep saying net because I still eat back my exercise calories. I have been experimenting since July with maintenance and have been eating net 2600 since October.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It does not matter what I'm eating, you're not me. :)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am 42 years old, 5'7'' and am currently 226 pounds. I am eating 1800 calories a day. I was eating less until a few weeks ago. Then I hit a GIANT plateau, and did some reading. I found the In Place of a Road Map thing and decided to up my calories. I stayed at the same weight until this morning, when I dropped 2 pounds. So I think that eating more may work for me.
    Wow! You have lost a lot! Wtg :) and thankyou for your response :)

Thank you. I lost most of it pretty quickly, and then stalled. I am hoping I am back on the road now.

You need to find a TDEE calculator, here is a link to one: http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx. Figure out what your TDEE 9the amount of calories you burn evry day) and then figure out what 80%of that is, and eat that. That is what I am doing. I figured it did not hurt to try. What I am eating now is not enough calories for me to gain weight. So if I try if for a while and am not losing, I can readjust. I do know that it allows me to eat a LOT of food, and I feel great.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am trying to find the website for the calculator I used... I thought I bumped the topic to return to it but I can't find it now :(

You were reading the same post I did. Go to the link
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

He tells you in his post how to configure it. I was skeptical but figured it surely couldn't hurt... and it didn't :)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Age 30, 5' tall, very active, paperweight! Maintenance is about 2000-2400 (depending on the day).
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I eat 1750 a day, and thats 200 less than what IPOARM suggested for me ...1900 is just too much for me to wrap my mind around to lose weight, so I settled for 1750 .

Im not starving- ever. I am always satisfied. I dont eat back my exercise cals, unless for some reason I AM famished and then, if I eat over 2000 even, somehow I still do OK. :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 1800 more or less if wanting to lose.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I currently eat 3300 calories a day in my bulk.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    So what are we thinking I should be eating? 1400? 1700? Lol

whatever your TDEE is minus a deficit. i thought you read the thread? :smile:
    I did read it but I haven't used the calculators yet. I was curious what kind of response I would get on the eating more. I will go do the calculators when I can get on the laptop. I'm using an iPod touch at the moment :)
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started off eating 1200 as well, but generally speaking it sucked a** lol. I've switched to maintenance for a week to wash over the holidays, and will be eating 1400 on average. For me personally i'd rather not feel like i'm on a diet of sorts and just eat within a normal range. A manageable lifestyle is key and 1200 was not cutting it lool.

Try checking ur bmr and start there as a jump off and eat a fraction of your exercise ( if hungry) in addition to that number and test it out. It's all about checking out what works for u, because everyone's body functions differently
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My Stats:

1550-1650 calories a day
    25 years old
    Female
    I work out 3x a week and I stay pretty active throughout the day
    SW: 175lbs
    CW: 153lbs
    GW: 125lbs
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    OK, with the numbers you gave, using 1-3 hours a week of "light" exercise (I like to underestimate my exercise but you'll have to twear this on your own) here are the numbers:

BMR: 1929
    TDEE: 2653

20% Calorie Deficit: 2122

SO, there is your starting point. Try to eat at least your BMR, but get as close to the 2122 as you can. Reevaluate your numbers after 5 pound loss. Your numbers will come down as you get closer to your goal weight. But at 1200 calories no wonder you are hungry!
    Thankyou for this! I appreciate the help :) I'll aim for BMR today and then go run all the calculators after the kiddos go to bed. I need to figure out the body fat % one *shudder*
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I use this. Can't remember if its on that thread, but i've done pretty much all calcs out there, and I get roughly the same results. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results

I have my calories set to 1700 currently, not eating back exercise cals. I did have it set to 1400 + eating back exercise cals, but I found myself struggling a lot with that as time wore on. Since I have changed, I have started losing weight again. I don't think I was eating enough before. so make sure you eat enough, and especially if you are breastfeeding your baby.

So, 1700 sometimes more if i want. I work out 5-6 days a week, moderate-intense. I am 5'6".

It will probably take a little bit to find a calorie range that works well for you.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Here is a good site where you can calculate your BMR by using height and age, or by weight and BF%. If you don't know your BF%, I am 5'6" and at 230 my BF% was almost 55%, so yours may be similar.
    A LBM (everything but fat) for the average 5'6" woman is between 100-110 lbs.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    5'4"--128lb--25%BF--1800cal/day to lose (not eating back exercise cals)--5-6 hours at the gym (between cardio and strength) each week. I honestly believe I could increase my calories, but since I'm also a little nervous about the IPOARM method, I tend to go lower than I should out of habit. But over the holidays, I plan to do 2200 most days. Woohoo!! :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    maintenance at 100 pounds averages 1970. I've gained weight over the last several months eating approx 2500. Sedentary.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful :) I'm going to give it a go... I think I'll increase a few hundred a week.. My metabolism is probably messed up. Is tho a good idea or should I just increase all at once?? Sorry to keep asking more questions lol
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I upped mine by a few hundred from 1200 and it didn't affect me at all, still was losing but with some it can stall loss for a short time then drop.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I went the lazy route and used the spreadsheet to do the calculations :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm