Slipped on ice, need treadmill but low on $$ & obese ADVICE?

Options
I have grown to love walking. When I get angry or stressed, I just go out for a walk. Sometimes I take my pedometer and other times the battery is dead or I forget it, so I don't.

It has been a LONG time (as in decades) since I have exercised and I don't ever remember enjoying it like I do now. I am happy to have built this daily routine up, but now it is snowy and I am still determined so the last two days I have walked in the snow and cold.

Last night I was walking on the side of the highway in my little town and almost got hit by a car. Not good.

So today I stuck to back roads and slipped on a patch of ice. At my size (376lbs) and age (40yo) I am lucky to not have hurt anything. I felt it in my knee and back, but I continued on my walk and they pain went away.

I am thinking I really need a treadmill, but I don't have a lot of money.
Also, it seems very few treadmills are able to handle my weight

Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• Perhaps if you contacted a weight loss clinic or hospital they may have one that would fit your size. Not sure of the budget though. Craigslist is the only thing I can think of, or ebay.

Good luck though.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    check if there's any garage sale facebook sites in your area and keep an eye out, otherwise craigslist. Research the brand tho so you can ensure it will fit to your weight.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you like walking outside you can get cleated grippers you put on over your shoes/boots to give you traction. Walking on a treadmill is terminally boring. Get a reflective vest and a pair of ice grippers and keep on walking outside.
  • Saritamac25
    Saritamac25 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Get the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. It's actually a great workout and gets you moving. A few years ago when I lost a lot of weight but was so out of shape, this got me going and after a few weeks I built stamina and was able to add in more challenging workouts. Since I gained all that weight back I am starting all over and just got back on track with WATP DVDs. Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I also love walking outside, but the weather is being a pain (along with traffic). What I do on crappy days is a Leslie Sansone video. You can watch them for free (just need to sign up) on Leslie's Walk Social site - http://www.walkathome.com/walk-social/ - or I'm sure you can find others on YouTube or from a Google search.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Go old people style and walk around the mall
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I started at 380 pounds and I agree about the walk away the pounds DVDs i couldnt go for long walks at that time but doing those was great :)
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Craigslist... however, check qvc.com or hsn.com and look for treadmills on easy pay. They have you pay monthly for it. They don't check credit, you just have to have your card on file and they do it automatically every month. No interest. I didn't buy a treadmill but I used qvc to buy my kitchenaid stand mixer... treadmill is next I just have to approve it with the hubz. QVC has this one but they usually have a few more... I think they'll probably sell different ones after new years. http://www.qvc.com/Elisabeth-Hasselbeck-Freemotion-Smartrun-2.0-Treadmill-Search-Results.product.F09346.html?sc=F09346-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-F09346&catentryImage=http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/f/46/f09346.001?$uslarge$
  • Saritamac25
    Saritamac25 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Go old people style and walk around the mall

Ooooh thats a good idea too!
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you like walking outside you can get cleated grippers you put on over your shoes/boots to give you traction.

That's what I was going to say. Something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Pro-Traction-Cleats-Snow/dp/B001CZJBKC Cheaper than a treadmill.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Get the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. It's actually a great workout and gets you moving. A few years ago when I lost a lot of weight but was so out of shape, this got me going and after a few weeks I built stamina and was able to add in more challenging workouts. Since I gained all that weight back I am starting all over and just got back on track with WATP DVDs. Good luck!

^^^This Leslie Sansone's walk at home program is low impact and super easy to follow!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Any stairs on your property?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, some malls have actual 'walking hours' and certain halls/venues will open up for walking during the winter. I know here in Minnesota, the Metrodome is open for indoor jogging! See if your state has something similar?
  • hayz182
    Options
    A quick way to get in 30 mins of low impact exercise is to turn on your favorite TV show and just walk in place the entire time. Do that a couple of times a day and you've got a 60 min walk in. :)
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The cleats are a great idea, I would definitely consider buying them next winter because the snow can sometimes be really scary and slippery when walking
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Get a membership to Planet Fitness or similar $10/month gym. They have tons of options for cardio equipment and commercial treadmills are going to be much more likely to be suitable than any inexpensive home one. Second best option would be to crawl Craigs List and get something used but a reputable brand that you will be able to get serviced and replace parts.

ETA: Also, someone posted this last night and said it's awesome- I'm going to try it, but I can't personally speak to the effectiveness yet: http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    walk laps around your house or apartment right when you wake up, figure eights if you got to. buy some light weights to carry. kinda kick start your fat burning and day
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Walk around a local track even if you have to drive there. Then you can also keep track of the laps you can do as you get more fit.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    It sucks big time but most have a 100kg weight limit. My brother. Pushed that limit and broke one. Make sure you do your research. Do you have a local low cost gym? Might be worth looking at. Keep going... Don't let anything stop you. X
  • biff54928
    Options
    Have you checked into your local school to see if they have a fitness room or access to the gym for walking? Our small town has a portion of the school that anyone can use after going through a training course to use the equipment. When I first started working out that is where I went until I was able to get my own equipment