Juicing!!!

Options
I finally bought myself a juicer yesterday and I have the film "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" in my DVD player right now (if you don't know what it's about, look it up!)

I'm about to embark on a 2 week juice cleanse! Has anyone else done this for any period of time? What were your results?

Juice recipes you enjoy or that work well?

Thanks!! :D

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I find that fruit has magical powers when you extract it's fluid, and exclude all other food from your diet.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I find that fruit has magical powers when you extract it's fluid, and exclude all other food from your diet.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Sounds legit.

It's like magic...only real.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There are two things to which "Juicing" could refer.

One is an a "quick fix" or shortcut intended to "jumpstart" some sort of supposed bodily improvement, that at best is useless, and at worst can wreak havoc on one's digestive system and nutritional balance.

The other is, of course, anabolic steroids.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Every time I see this kind of topic I always think AAS haha.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Any diet that excludes solid food is a diet that makes me say duuuuuude. What?
    It is not healthy to live on water alone, if you don't believe me call your doctor on the phone.
    I know you probably didn't notice that my message rhymes, but honestly I just wanted to waste your time.

I'm out.
    Peace.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is a favorite recipe of mine!

1 4oz chicken breast
    1 cup of quinoa
    1 cup cooked kale
    1 cup mixed berries
    1 cup yogurt

Then you blend it all together! My body has a much easier time digesting things when they're pulverized. It kind of gives "eating like a bird" a whole new meaning!

ha ha!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like any fun at all to me. Personally, I think you can lose weight and enjoy yourself doing it; I know I am. I'm a big fan of juice...like 8 oz or so a couple time a week...I could never just have juice for two weeks, even if it was delicious. But that's just me, I need to cut into a juicy steak at least once a week.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I use one that blends the skin and all together. it's great to get additional servings of fruit and veggies but I feel like juicing is cool fora few days but otherwise a fad diet.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I will not try to discourage you, but just know that my husband did this for two weeks an starts getting bad dizzy spells and did not poop for like a week an a half of the time he was juicing lol he lost 20lbs and gained it back faster than it came off. That being said, I have seen the documentary and I thought it seemed legit. Have a dr. Supervise
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I saw the movie and like you purchased a juicer because of it. I don't regret the purchase and I use my juicer pretty much daily. The times I don't is when I run out of apples. I wont drink drink it with apples. I never did the fast because I just didn't have the heart. For me its just a way to get more nutrients into my body without actually eating the food. I have a daily juice of 2 apples, 6 kale leaves, handful of spinach, 2 carrots, 1/2 lemon, ginger, and a kiwi. I sometimes add other things if i have them available but that's my daily. The problem with juicing is twofold. The juice looks like puke and prep and cleaning is a pain. That's why most people stop. I will say this tho, once you drink fresh apple juice or orange juice, you won't go back.
  • Evoken
    Evoken Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Did you try? I tried the 5 day juice diet. It is a good CLEANSING diet and if you want you can do it once every 5 months but to make it a routine and just drink juice.. :huh: ..not a good idea.. You will lose the water weight but the moment you will start eating it will bounce back to what it was originally in no time.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have done 5 day juice only diet and it was great. You really have to do 80/20 mix, where 80% is vegetables and only 20 is fruit to be able to provide your body with protein it needs.

Take a week before you want to go on juice to quit all caffeinated drinks and sugar.
    3 days before eat only vegetables and fruit, cooked and fresh.
    This will prepare your digestive system and your body will not be in a big shock. If you are a big coffee drinker, you might need an extra week to quit coffee and sugar. Be ready, your body will be in pain as it screams for it's drug.

When you finish your juice fast plan to come out of it slowly or you will mess up your digestive system. incorporate fresh fruit and veggies for couple of days, then cooked veggies, then slowly introduce other food. Take about a week to get back to regular eating. As you introduce different food listen to your body, you might be able to find what food your body is allergic to. I found that I am mildly allergic to dairy, not enough to know while eating dairy every day but did notice it after introducing it back to dies after fast.

If you do just 5-7 days of juice only, and 7 days before and 7 days after transitional period, that will be 21 days of strict diet. A big deal if you never done anything like this.

Done the juice fast, I want to say that from personal experience I see more benefit doing a juice fast for a day once a week, or for a meal , like dinner, for a period of time month or two.

I personally think that since our bodies fast while we sleep the best is to take advantage of it and do 24 hour fast dinner to dinner, but on weekly bases. This accomplishes more for health, in my opinion.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Smooties are nice, juice is good, but FAD diets suck and don't work. They aren't real life.
    To lose weight you need, DIET, EXERCISE, WILLPOWER. That's it. No pill, no potions, no magic, no fads.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

One is an a "quick fix" or shortcut intended to "jumpstart" some sort of supposed bodily improvement, that at best is useless, and at worst can wreak havoc on one's digestive system and nutritional balance.

Sadly, I opened this thread thinking it was the 2nd one. (sigh)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Sadly, I opened this thread thinking it was the 2nd one. (sigh)
    A two week "juice cycle" is probably safer for the body than a two-week "juice cleanse".
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    My uncle did a juice cleanse and he lost a ton of weight and has kept it off so far. It helped him with a lot of health problems he was having :) I'd recommend it. I'm planning on juicing my breakfast once I get enough $$ to get a juicer lol
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I did this for 3 days and lost 4 lbs but i just couldnt do it anymore. Phils mean green juice is gross. And honestly, the juicing turned me off to vegetables for a while. I love veggies, but the smell and the taste when they are juiced is intensified! i couldnt even stomach smelling celery after. there were times where i felt light headed and dizzy. one of my girlfriends did it for 14 days, lost 14 lbs and had to stop because she passed out one evening.

i do have a male co-worker that did it for about 60 days and he lost 70lbs, but keep in mind that is not all fat, you lose a lot of muscle as well.