Calcium computation

Options
I'm not sure is I putting this in wrong or what.. but, I usually splash a little bit of 2% milk in with my coffee in the mornings and it says that 3 tablespoons of milk with one container (2 cups of coffee 3 tablespoons) at 1.5 servings is 240% of my nutritional need for calcium.

Now, 1.5 servings should equal 3 cups of coffee, right? And 1.5 servings of 3 tablespoons of milk is 4.5 tablespoons.
4.5 tablespoons are equal to 0.28125 cups..
1 cup of 2% milk has 300 mg of calcium
The nutritional need for someone under 50 is 1000 mg of calcium.

According to my calculations.. the milk I added is only 8.43% of my daily nutritional value, not 240%.

Am I entering my coffee in wrong?

Replies

• WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Something maybe wrong with the "coffee with milk" recipe you are using. You can look at the nutritional information before adding it to your diary. Maybe look for a coffee with milk that has more people that confirmed it is correct.

Or maybe just add them separately (i.e. Coffee as one diary entry and 2% milk as a second entry).

Your calculations seem correct, which makes me question the recipe you are adding for your coffee with milk.
  • aleeharmon
    Options
    Thanks. That's a good idea. :smile:
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You can search coffee and put in the amount you drink

Then search Milk 2% and put in something like .25 servings of 1 cup and see if that seems closer to the numbers you are thinking.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Or maybe just add them separately (i.e. Coffee as one diary entry and 2% milk as a second entry).

This is how I would recommend doing it too.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You are correct there is not that much in a few tablespoons of milk, it's closer to a quart
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/71/2

I've noticed with the MFP data people input the minerals incorrectly by not reading the units, they might mean 100mg but add 100%.