I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!DESPERATELY

Options
I need desperately to find things I can eat that are low in fat low in carbs and calories. I am having a horrible time. The doctor said I really need to cut down my carbs alot. I need to lose alot of weight. I am diabetic, I have heart problems etc etc ....I have a gall bladder that really needs to come out but no doctor will touch me. They say I am too high risk, and they don't want me to die on the table. Well I dont either ..... so I gotta keep it so I can keep my gall bladder under control but still fix things to keep me at least a little full so I am not miserable. I want to try to eat normal. Being in a wheelchair or walker makes it very hard for me to make anything. I can't stand for more than a couple minutes maybe not even that. Can anyone help me with things to eat? meals.. snacks anything... I really am trying so hard. and I am keeping my calories at like 1500 to 1700... which I wouldn't eat that much but they say I need to eat during the day, and I usually didn't. Seems like I can't get away from the darn carbs. I have to lose about 200 pounds... I really really need help... PLEASE ? :frown: i am putting this post different places hoping to get help. And by the way that picture of me is about 14 years ago. I wouldn't dare put one up of me now. I can't go out of the house anyway, but I wouldn't want to like this anyway. I have noone. ok my husband but you know what I mean.. MY best friend is dieting with me and having problems too but she is really the only one I have to talk to... Can any of you help? Sorry I talk so much...

Replies

• juneybabes
    Options
    hi there, do not despair you have just found freinds that will help if they can .A good way to fill up if your diabetic or suffer with blood pressure is beans ,there high in fiber help you feel full and are full of good choesterol .they help to regulate blood sugar too. by putting them with small amounts of chicken or fish they will help you feel full ( like carbs) but will be better all round .use tinned 5 bean salad or soak your own it doesnt matter trust me thay work :):flowerforyou:
  • jcbyfield
    jcbyfield Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've just read your message and really want to try and help you. I'm not a Doctor or a Nutritionist but can try to give you advice that I've picked up over the years;

WORST CARB CULPRIT FOODS:
    Potatoes
    Pasta
    Rice
    Bread
    Cut down on these, even if you only eat half the amount you normally do (make sure they are brown bread, brown rice etc) then you WILL loose some weight.

+ If possible, eat more protein than carbs
    + Eat as much vegetables as possible (not potatoes), you can get microwave or boil ones that dont take long
    + Swap real meat for the Vegetarian alternative - it has less fat and more goodness
    + Try having your dinner plate as; 50% Veg - 35% Protein (ie chicken) - 15% carbs (rice, pasta)
    + Drink LOADS of water - I mean, every time you have some food, wash it down with water - it will make you feel more full
    + Do not try to starve yourself - as a diabetic you need to ensure you keep your levels right
    + As a diabetic beware of fruits high in sugar
    + Try doing exercise, I dont mean jumping up or down or running - I mean just sitting down, kicking out your legs, swinging your arms around, whatever, just to get your heartbeat up

Remember: If you eat 20 Mars Bars a week, and cut that down to 18 a week, you will still loose weight. Thinking of things like this always helps me. It means that even a small change can help in the long term scheme of things.

I also think you should post the photo of how you look now. Get everything out in the open and start from there. I made the mistake of using 'nice photos' of me years ago when I was skinnier, so in my head I believed I was still that person, and therefore didnt need to loose weight. You have to face up to the reality, people will support you :-)

JoJo
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I have a salad with low fat salad dressing (light italian) every day with my lunch. It helps me to fill up on less food. Protein in the morning helps keep me full until lunch. I'm not sure if you should have eggs all the time but maybe egg beaters is a good alternative. I usually have a couple of strips of turkey bacon with my oatmeal. I also eat either chicken or fish with beans for dinner. Beans are a very filling vegetable and good for you. I think the main thing is to make sure you get your fruits and vegetables in. It helps you to fill up on fewer calories. Get as active as you can. Maybe start out with hand weights or use resistance bands to work your legs. Walking is good exercise. The more active you can be and the more healthy you can eat, hopefully you can get outside and do some walking. You have to be dedicated to yourself and believe you can do this.
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    please dont despair.
    you say you can only stand for a very short time -but that is a start and can be built on. next time you're on your feet stay up for another 5 seconds and then each time try and push it for another 5 seconds etc. it may seem impossible at first but after the first achievement it will empower you and progresively make a massive difference to your wellbeing. just think baby steps. lets us know how you get on. good luck - you can make it happen :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to ask your doctor to refer you to a few nutritionist that can help you with your specific needs. A nutritionist will be able to help you with meal plans and goals and insurance should pay since you are diabetic. Help here is always nice but you have to be your own best advocate and from what you have stated you may need a little more support from a professional.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    My only advice is to ask your doctor to refer you to a few nutritionist that can help you with your specific needs. A nutritionist will be able to help you with meal plans and goals and insurance should pay since you are diabetic. Help here is always nice but you have to be your own best advocate and from what you have stated you may need a little more support from a professional.

I agree. When I had gestational diabetes, I went to a nutritionist who told me exactly what kinds of food to eat for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. It helped tremendously and I was able to control my sugars throughout my pregnancy.
  • molear
    molear Posts: 2
    Options
    Good Morning!

I have not had too much to say in terms of posting comments...I read them and get inspired to keep going...I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. The advise to get a nutritionist is a GREAT ONE! If you can't get out to see one, ask your doctor about a homecare referral. All things are possible!

Another tip that I use...because I don't enjoy structured exercise...I break up my day during activities that I do enjoy. I would guess from your comments you surf the web and maybe watch a lot of tv. During TV, EVERY commercial break...MOVE, MOVE, MOVE...commercial segments last about 3 minutes or more...that is about 12 minutes of movement (at least) every hour! Even short spurts of exercise, however limitted is better than just sitting still through the whole program.

Also, saw your post was 12 AM...you need to get 8 hours of sleep every day! Keeping nasty hours will not help you lose weight, it will slow it down terribly. I get up about 5:15 every day, and hit the hay by nine, six days a week. It helped with my diet and exercise program and my overall wellbeing. I am more relaxed, energetic...I even look better!

My favorite snacks (but I am not diabetic):
    Cucumber slices...they are easy to prepare, and I add a little salt/spices for flavor...I eat them like chips!
    Celery...and for a treat I dip into 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
    Burgers with fresh tomato and wrapped in a couple of peices of lettuce for crunch...no bun...that is what the lettuce is for...a lot of fun to eat and tastes great.
    Eggs...I eat tons of them...but I also don't have cholesterol problem
    I make a breakfast each morning of 2% milk and a high fiber cereal...1/2 the serving size on the box...fiber has it's own rewards!
    I have some serious chocolate cravings...so I eat apple wedges dipped in a tablespoon of semi-sweet or dark chocolate that I melt in the microwave.
    I gave up diet soda and switched to sparkling water...I love the bubbles.

I am 43 years old and I have tried about everything. I have learned this is way, and it is a lifestyle, and it takes time to change it. Fall off the wagon now and again...get back on it! Don't beat yourself up.

A final suggestion I would offer, it to speak with your doctor and nutritionist about a bariatric diet without the surgery! See how that can be modified to meet your needs for weight loss.

Good luck to you! Be strong...Start each day fresh!
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First of all (((hugs))) cuz it just seems like you could use one.

The best way to fill up and keep your sugars under control is to focus on veggies, complex carbs, and protein. At dinner, switch to a salad plate for portion control, and fill it 1/2 veggie, 1/4 protien, 1/4 complex carbohydrate.

You need a good diabetic cookbook. Do a google search for diabetic recipes. It'll save you a lot of time hunting out the foods yourself. :)
  • NancyMoedt
    NancyMoedt Posts: 207
    Options
    Hi and hugs,

First of all, this was an important step that you made. You asked for help. You need to pat yourself on the back for that. Second of all, I agree with what every one is saying. I would just like to add a couple more things to the exercise portion.

You do not need expensive weights to use when you are exercising either. During the commercials, have a couple cans of soup, veggies, etc. in your lap. Use those as the weights. Start off with the smaller cans and work up to the big ones. Bend over in your wheelchair (don't fall over) to work your ab muscles and lift your legs. If you do have a resistance band, put it under your feet and do bicep curls or work with rubber bands and with both hands, stretch it as far as it will go (try not to break them) and work your chest muscles. Do arm circles, neck circles, wrist circles if you can.

Also, I think you should put up a recent picture that you feel comfortable with. I doesn't have to be your whole body but that just maybe another point that will also give you motivation as well.

I know you can do this. We believe in you. :flowerforyou:
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking long and hard about what I want to say because this is such an important issue.

Have you tried using the tools here yet?

Log in your weight and get your reccomended caloric intake. Be sure and run it by your Dr., especially in your present condition.

Start logging what you eat and really utilize the calorie counting tools here, the data base is HUGE.

Start having fun with ways of eating what you like but altering the ingredients to make food more figure friendly.

And log, log, log. If you bite it, you write it.

When I found out I was pre-diabetic, I was able to go for free to a class that taught some good methods of keeping your sugar levels in check. This doesnt always mean low carb either but rather a good mixture of carbs, protein and fat. YES fat. You need certain fats in order to survive and to lose weight.

Not only are you becoming calorie concious but diabetes aware as well.

I am going to send you some weight logging tips that I found helpful for my motivation. Maybe it will help get you excited about your weight loss journey.

The best advice I can offer is that if you give it a chance, this journey can actually be a fun one. I enjoyed food more in the last 3 months than ever in my life and I lose about a pound a week.

Best of luck to oyu.
  • AlyssaStarr
    Options
    A very good exercise, is to get one of the large exercise balls (they're called body balls and are inexpensive). While you are sitting, whether it be in a chair or on the couch....put your feet up on top of them (like it is an ottoman) and just wheel it in towards you, and then away from you. Keep this motion going for as long as you can stand it. Try to start with 10 minutes if you can. You can also hold the ball straight out in front of you, and raise it over your head, and then return to in front of you, and keep repeating that motion. Those are just a few to start with.
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    I have gallbladder attacks and I refuse to have mine taken out. I can really only help you with that and what I have found for gallbladder stones... is NO EGGS they are the worst thing you can eat with stones they make them BIGGER. And then basically to keep a vegan diet and eat only organic because the pesticides can actually give you more stones. I hope that helps a little and good luck :)
  • coold
    coold Posts: 85
    Options
    DEFINITELY use the tools here!!!! it was very eye opening to me to see how many calories i was eating in a day....the food data base is a good place to search for items you normally eat and cut back at first!!!

fresh fruit is the best way to go to add nutrition without carbs, etc. tuna salad, chicken salad, grilled chicken....peanut butter even in moderation!!! Good luck!!! this site is awesome!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks - Sliced cucumber with a little low calorie dressing (I go with vinaigrette personally) and maybe a little salt on top with a bottle of water to wash it all down (and help fill me up). Cucumber is very low calorie and very filling.

If you are finding you are having trouble being full I suggest eating a full serving of some low calorie vegetables (green beans, spinach, etc) and drinking a bottle of water about 15-30 minutes before you dig into anything. It'll help you really cut down on anything high calorie without making you super hungry in the process. It's a step in the right direction at the very least. I lost 32lbs doing just that.