My calves hurt

Options
I am trying to exercise at least three times this week but I have found that after awhile on the treadmill my right calf muscle gets really tight. I am wondering if anyone knows why this would happen, how to prevent it and finally how to relieve it. I am really out of shape and I know that doesn't help but I also know I need to keep moving if I want to get healthy. I have tried taking motrin and of course that does lessen it but I would like to get rid of it! Please help I really want to be able to keep going! Thanks!

Replies

• JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    My right calf hurts today and I was just wondering the same thing!
  • guestkate
    Options
    Are you warming up by walking slowly and then stretching after your workout? And wearing decent shoes?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    stretch after your workout! I am now a firm believer in stretching after having my own issues with pain.

I had issues with calf cramps myself when I first started at the gym, and on the treadmill. I would try to vary the incline that you walk on and see if that makes a difference. I have seen here on MFP that on a treadmill a 1% incline is better than a 0% incline. Eventually your muscles will get used to it, and the cramping will stop--I promise!!
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    As someone who recovered from an ankle injury with a super stiff left calf, I feel you! Here are some stretches for pre- and post-working out that you should do:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Best-Calf-Stretches-3102547

If you have access to a foam roller, that is by far the best way to stretch out tight calves though.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Ive had debilitating foot and leg cramps for about 2 years now. I drink electrolyte water like its going out of style, eat tons of nanners and keep up on my vitamins. It just has to do with how I actually carry myself even at rest....I have learned to pay attention to when I get those little inklings of a tight muscle, and I bend my foot or stretch it the opposite direction it was resting in. Sometimes it gets so bad I have to take a muscle relaxer and use a lacrosse ball to work it out. I feel your pain. <3
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's probably your shoes. I learned the hard way after several injuries including shin splints and major calf pain that shoes do matter. I have to also use inserts to support my fallen arches which causes me to pronate. Make sure your shoes fit right and that they offer the right support, otherwise when your foot strikes the surface it's going to cause your weight to shift incorrectly and cause a strain. You could also ask a local shoe store to help recommend shoes, or speak to your physician. But don't ignore it. I ignored foot pain that became increasingly worse only to find out I had a hairline fracture in my heel that led to me compensating and putting the pressure on the ball of my foot. That caused a neuroma in my foot that resulted in permanent numbness/tingling on the side of my foot. All because of, you guessed it, improper shoes. :flowerforyou:
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Some good advice in this thread. As far as relieving it, a foam roller works wonders. I use mine almost every day.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do you take a beta-blocker for blood pressure...or are you staying hydrated both could cause calf pain while exercising
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    stretching, hydration, salt, calcium. could be a number of factors. I remember seeing this doctor talking about this condition when watching a Royal Marine documentary of the muscle swelling up against the bone around the calf area when one guy was running. Im not sure. See your doctor would be the best bet.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do you take a beta-blocker for blood pressure...or are you staying hydrated both could cause calf pain while exercising
    i get massive pain, whats about the beta blocker?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Calcium helps with cramps. Always take it with magnesium.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. I do stay very hydrated and I believe I get enough calcium, although I am getting it through silk products, not sure if that makes a difference. I will definitely try the stretches! :happy:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Check your form, check your shoes, check your nutrition (potassium and magnesium levels), check your hydration. Stretch before and after running. Soak in Epsom salt baths after exercising.