28 yrs old single mother who lost control

Options
Hi, I'm ashley and I have tried to do it on my own before but it didn't work. I have very bad knees and would like some suggestions on excersizes I can do that won't affect them too bad... I am open to anything at this point to lose some of this weight. Please help

Replies

• foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Walking daily is a great start and a great stress reliever .. and it's something you can do with your kids!
  • frmrdtr
    frmrdtr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Can you walk? Walking is pretty easy on the knees, and you can gradually improve on speed and therefore burn more calories! :smile:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You should add Leakramirez. She's also a mom on a journey and is really motivating and supportive. She's always there to give you that extra "good job" or "wtg" that you're needing. :flowerforyou:
  • ASHLEYBESSIE
    Options
    When I walk I find my knees in so much pain... I've tried walking in little time frames throughout the day... I walk on my breaks around the hospital where I work and I am in so much pain.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Walking, and swimming are easy on the knees. I have bad knees too and I have found an elliptical that is really easy on my knees. Good luck, I'm also a single mom who lost control. Using this site is the first time I have felt control in a very long time and for 35 days now, down 25lbs and just getting started! Friend me if you want.
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Pilates floor stuff that isnt on the knees?
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley :smile: I'm a mother of 3 little ones who also experienced bad knees with hip pain. Based on personal experience I walked and also did strength training. I use a ball for my stomach and weights for my arms. But most of all just followed mfp's calories and kept the exercising simple with walking 20-30mins daily. Just depends on how your body feels too.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I found this great advice on 3fatchicks.com, they are also good for workout dvd reviews

Want to ease the stress on delicate knee joints? Here are 10 cardio workouts that are easy on the knees.

Doctors and trainers agree that high-impact activities, such as sports that require jumping, bending, position changes, and twisting or jarring movements of the knees, i.e., running, basketball, tennis and racquetball are all hard on the knees.
    Swimming

Swimming is an ideal cardio workout because the water supports your body weight and you get a total body workout using the water’s resistance. DO NOT do the breaststroke or butterfly stroke, as the kick puts a lot of stress on the knees. Flotation devices are available for arms-only swimming.
    Biking

Indoors or outdoors, biking is a good choice as long as you use good leg posture, keeping your knees facing slightly outward and in line with your hip and foot. A recumbent bike (reclining type) is easier on the knees than an upright stationary bike.
    An Elliptical Trainer/Cross-trainer

Either will provide a low-impact workout. Choose one that gets your arms pumping in a push-pull action to get a full-body workout. With changeable incline levels, the cross-trainer gives you an even more intense workout.
    Push-up/Pull-up/Sit-up Challenges

Doing an exercise rapidly gets your heart pumping, and with this workout you build muscle at the same time. Grab a stopwatch or use a partner and do as many push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups as you can in 20 seconds for eight repetitions, resting 10 seconds between.
    Rowing Machine

This is a great option for building both lower- and upper-body strength. Almost every gym has a rowing machine, and they’re usually open.
    Pilates

Pilates includes a variety of cardio exercises that are great at strengthening the muscles around weak joints. Bonus: you do most of them while lying down.
    Walking

Outside or on a treadmill, walking is a good choice. A treadmill’s surface is flexible and is better on the knees than the hard sidewalk or asphalt. When walking, be sure to use good posture with your weight distributed slightly on the outsides of your feet, using a heel-to-toe movement. Try to stay on grass or gravel.
    Weight Training

Repetitions using dumbbells will give you a good cardio workout while building your upper body. Avoid sets that involve bearing excessive weight or flexing of the knees such as full squats or leg presses.
    Upper Body Ergometer

An upper body ergometer is like an upside-down stationary bike that you pedal with your hands. Try doing 30 minutes alternating pedaling forward and backward.
    Boxing

Boxing is a fun workout to elevate your heart rate that you can do with or without a partner. Shadow boxing or simply jabbing rapidly can be done while perched on the edge of a chair.

If you want your knees to carry you into old age, protect them from injury when you work out: never bend your knees beyond 90 degrees when exercising, always stretch first, stop immediately if you experience pain, and wear shoes that provide good support. Enjoy your cardio workout!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Search these boards for "knees" and you'll find lots of exercise suggestions. Here's one good post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816461-quads-exercises-with-knee-issues?hl=knee+issues#posts-12235745

Some more starting suggestions: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993

Good luck!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    This sounds like something a doctor should be advising you on, rather than random strangers. We have no idea why your knees are "bad" and any advice offered could cause further injury.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Waking and yoga are the only things I can think of. Make sure you have good quality shoes that aren't old (the cushioning breaks down, even if they look great). Try to walk in grass or on a treadmill instead of hard concrete. Good luck!
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley
    How about trying out one of them home videos like , Shaun T ( rockin body , Hip hop abs , Jillian Michaels or even some type of stretching or yoga video ?
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You could try water exercises--swimming, water aerobics, those sorts of things are often suggested for people with joint problems. You could also try walking with walking poles (also called trekking poles) which is supposed to be a better workout than just walking AND easier on the knees. You can get them at Walmart, in the camping section for fairly cheap. I'm in Canada, but I'm sure they'd have similar inventories over there.
  • ASHLEYBESSIE
    Options
    OMG I can't believe the response and the support on here... Thank you guys so much
  • Iron_warrior33
    Options
    Try some water aerobics and an exercise bike. Heck, sneak into the rehab facility in the hospital.
  • brandtsw
    Options
    Ashley....since walking seems to cause you pain may I suggest that instead of walking try swimming. I think you will find that you will be able to do that and begin to see results. Have you tried the stationary bike?

Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts.