How much trust to put into scales/weight?

Hi, so I have a kind of confusing scenario, so if you could follow and help me that would be awesome!

During the summer I weighed myself at home, using my home scale, and it was 140lbs. I weighed myself a few times a week and it was consistant (our scale is old, so I weighed myself a bunch to make it sure). Then, since September, I've been away at school, and doing all of my stuff in a gym. I didn't reweigh myself until November 1st, at which point the GYM scale said I weighed 135lbs. I thought that was pretty reasonable, as in the two months I had trimmed a little but hadn't been set on weight loss. Every since then I have not weighed myself but have kept a calorie diet of 1200 and exercise on-and-off regularly..

So now that I'm back home for the holidays, (the original scale), it is telling me that I am currently (around) 120lbs. Is that a totally ridiculous number? It really just surprises me, as I know I've lost a bit of weight, I just didn't think it was that much. But ever since I've been home both my parents have noticed/commented, so I guess that it's a noticeable difference..

I'm trying to not rely to much on my weight and more on my looks, but I guess I just am wondering if it could possibly be a real number, or just the scale being old and fritzy, and also because I've used two different scales with a long time between both..

I know this could be remedied by weighing myself more often, but I just hate weighing myself at the gym and I don't want to feel disappointed.

Also I'm short, so sometimes weight loss/gain in numbers doesn't really affect the way my body looks all that much (I've basically never even changed clothing sizes, except for when I weighted about 90lbs :P)

Also just a note: My scale at home isn't a digital one, it's old, and it's one that has the dial that moves back at forth (like a speedometre)

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    If you stuck to your 1200-calorie daily limit, losing 20 lbs in four months is entirely possible, yes.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    While a spring scale probably does wear out over time and change slightly in how it reports weight, it wouldn't have changed much in the time between your first and latest weighing. If anything its the best measure of how much you've lost in that time. Another scale may give you an accurate weight but it wouldn't tell you how much you've lost. So you may or may not weigh 'exactly' 120lbs but you're somewhere around there and definitely 20lbs lighter than the last time you weighed yourself
  • I have found that scales are more of a guide. I put far more trust in the reflection of the mirror. Someone's goal may be to lose 25 lbs however after they have lost that weight they may not be satisfied. Therefore, I let the mirror tell me when I have reached my goal and use the scale as a guide that let's me know I'm in the right direction.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    I cannot attest to the exact value of the number but the most significance is the 140 to 120 figure since it was on the same scale. It is possible you lost this especially since people who know you well but have not seen you in a while comment so readily on it. this usually does not happen for 5-10 lbs... Also, if you are doing an strength training, your size will decrease but not necessarily your scale number. In the end, if you feel and look better that is what really matters. Best wishes on your fitness goals.
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Meh. If you like what you see in the mirror, nvm what the scale says - it is guide.

If you want an accurate number then just get a new scale.

I suggest just looking to pictures, measurements, clothes, how you physically feel and the mirror for more satisfying guides.