Dealing with post-workout soreness

Options
Hi everyone! I need a little advice on dealing with post-workout soreness. I workout with a trainer 2 days a week and he has me doing 3 sets of 6 different exercises with cardio thrown in for "fun." Now that we are gradually making the exercises harder I'm feeling sore longer. Any advice on how to deal with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Feel free to add me if you are looking for another motivational pal.

Replies

• childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bath?
    Epsom salts! the magnesium seeps in through your skin and is a natural muscle relaxant.
    or look in to taking hem as a supp.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Stretch, Ibuprofen, enjoy the soreness because it means you are working hard and you've earned it!
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water - as in drink more water! And keep moving... even on my sorest days, I go to the gym and walk or work another body part and the soreness usually works itself out and I feel better.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Take it in stride and feel the burn baby!!!!
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It's hard to embrace the soreness when it feels like you've been run over by a truck. :wink: But I'm getting less whiney about it so I must be embracing it on some level. :smile:
  • hifromjamers1984
    Options
    Yup, I do. I hadn't thought of epsom salt! Thank you :smile:
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Tylenol and stretching. I'm still feeling sore from my Tuesday session with the trainer. He was mean to my legs.
  • hifromjamers1984
    Options
    Water, water, water - as in drink more water! And keep moving... even on my sorest days, I go to the gym and walk or work another body part and the soreness usually works itself out and I feel better.

Thank you for this. Currently I'm really bad with my water intake. Just have to get better at I guess :smile:
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    steam room after working out helps me a lot I also like to stretch out in the pool

Foam rolling is helpful or use a tennis /spiky rubber ball

Stretches the next hours and days when you feel sore is helpful too.

i like to feel a little so I know I have worked out but if it stops me sleeping then I take ibuprofen
  • hifromjamers1984
    Options
    Tylenol and stretching. I'm still feeling sore from my Tuesday session with the trainer. He was mean to my legs.

Me too. Only my trainer put my upper body through the ringer. Still feeling it 2 days later and we meet again tomorrow morning. :grumble:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Whats with everyone immediately taking ibuprofen or tylenol?

you need to focus on recovering, not masking the discomfort with meds.

foam rolling
    stretching
    walking
    epsom salt baths
    contrast showers (60 seconds hot 60 seconds cold)
    working out more. increasing bloodflow to the areas aides in recovery.

I'd keep the pills as a last resort.
  • hifromjamers1984
    Options
    Whats with everyone immediately taking ibuprofen or tylenol?

you need to focus on recovering, not masking the discomfort with meds.

foam rolling
    stretching
    walking
    epsom salt baths
    contrast showers (60 seconds hot 60 seconds cold)
    working out more. increasing bloodflow to the areas aides in recovery.

I'd keep the pills as a last resort.

Currently, my soreness is almost entirely in my upper body. My trainer has me doing foam rolling and that has really helped with the lower body soreness. I get in a lot of walking too thanks to my job and my dog. Any recommendations for upper body stretches?
  • lenjaw
    lenjaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely agree with not taking any medication for it, there have been suggestions that taking anti inflammatories unnecessarily can increase the time it takes for muscles to recover.

Stretch! Even for 15 min whenever you can.

Drink plenty of water.

If you're showering after your workout try standing under the coldest setting possible and targetting the water to the area of your body that you have worked. That might help limit inflammation and the ensuing muscle pain.

A foam roller will help ease out the lactic acid build-up, you can normally get a half size one pretty cheap.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    keep going and keep keep going some more. You will learn to love, and even miss, that feeling.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Massage, drink water, and work out more. Obviously you can't work out 7 days a week but if you're at 2 days now you can go ahead and add 1 or 2 more days where you work out by yourself doing a lighter routine. It will help with the muscle pain.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    hot baths and daily fresh ginger. Ginger is a really powerful anti inflammatory and is proven to reduce exercise induced soreness. I put mine into smoothies or into hot herbal teas or water... it's best raw... cooking it takes some of the good stuff out of it. I wouldn't recommend taking pain killers or ibuprofen every day :-/
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling does it for me, also noticed Fish Oil supplementation helps with the inflammation.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    you can also try taking some glutamine in post workout. I actually mix it with my intra-workout drink and find it ot be helpful.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Stretch, drink plenty of water, baths with epsom salts, massage, foam rollers, and do a light workout in between sessions with your trainer.