Vegetarians- Soy products

Options
2»

Replies

• EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Avoiding 3 servings a day sounds a lot more reasonable to me. Thanks for the update.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid soy whenever possible.

As for protein, I drink Garden of Life RAW (vegan ...protein shakes), or Vega, or just plain old pea protein. All of them have distinct tastes, but I have found that I really like them a lot, now.

Also, definitely try the Quorn products. They are really pretty good and are also soy free and dairy free. I also eat tons of nuts and seeds.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tuna, fish, sardines, quinoa, peas, beans, lentils.

Been a vegetarian (eat fish though) for 20 years.
  • im vege too....and sometimes I eat the same thing everyday...but it's more less because of my hectic schedule and pretty much laziness to cook meals...but i drink soy like everyday because that what I use to make my cream of wheat
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    All the protein you will ever need can be found in whole plant foods, like potatoes, brown rice and quinoa. Fake meats may be tasty, but they aren't really much healthier than the real thing, if at all. I have never heard of anyone eating a whole foods, plant-based vegetarian diet being hospitalized for a protein deficiency.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    there's no reason to have to fill your day with "meat" substitutes. just eat regular food and you'll surely get enough protein. :) maybe learn to make more things with whole foods to give yourself a bit of variety?
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans, quinoa, nuts..

if you eat eggs (which you probably do as I believe those are in the morning star patties) those are great.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I don't eat whey, so I don't know about you. I eat a lot of eggs, beans and some foods like low calorie bread (high protein for the low calories) by Healthy Life or pasta to add some protein. I manage to reach 70+g most days and a lot of days I can reach past 110g of protein on a 1,400 calorie diet. If you like meat alternatives, try Quorn (brand name) "chicken". The garlic/herb cutlets are not cheap, but they are delicious and made of something called quorn, not soy. I eat soy all the time though, so to each their own. lol
  • phangirl8
    phangirl8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Also, definitely try the Quorn products. They are really pretty good and are also soy free and dairy free.
    Quorn isn't dairy free, it contains milk so isn't suitable for people who are lactose intolerant or vegan (it also contains egg as well as milk)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    So sorry, guys!! I went back and read it again and it says not to exceed 3 servings of soy A DAY not a week. My mistake...I don't know how I got an A in that class. Someone asked why it says that. At first it says that soy consumption may reduce the risk for breast and prostate cancer and then it says that there is a study that shows that it may actually increase the risk for breast cancer. It says until more data becomes available, the University of California Wellness Letter has issued the recommendations: 1) Do not exceed three servings of soy per day. 2) Limit soy intake to just a few servings per week is you have/had breast cancer. and 3) Avoid soy supplements, as they may contain higher levels of isoflavones than those found in soy foods. Individuals with a history of breast cancer and women who are pregnant or lactating should them all together.

What are soy supplements?
    And thanks for the advice, everyone. I am going to eat less of the processed soy stuff, and am going to try some of the other suggestions.
    The findings were not significant/negligible in the study you are referring to. I linked to it in another thread. Anyway as far as I am aware (and as of right now) there has never been a study conducted on humans that concludes plant estrogens are harmful. But like I said above, it is not healthy to eat the same thing everyday regardless. I don't know if the right word is "funny" but I'll use it anyway. OP you seem very clear headed so this is not directed at you. But I find it funny how much "soy madness" there is on MFP. And how we long term veg. are all unhealthy and are going to die because we eat soy, or dont get enough protein, or we will become anemic from lack of iron or, or, or...you get the point I'm sure. No one talks about mad cow, avian flu, heart disease/high cholesterol and all the other junk one can get from eating corpse.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Eating fish of any kind is not being a vegetarian. A true vegetarian does not eat any form of animal products including animal byproducts and any form of animal flesh (including fish).

To the original poster, soy is only bad if you eat a lot of it. There are protein options (for protein powder) that are made from rice or peas.. they tend to be a bit harder to find than whey proteins or soy proteins though. I eat soy products (Veggie Patch products for example) not all that often. You can add things like beans, yogurts, etc to add protein to your diet (although I can't remember from you OP if you eat dairy products).
  • Leanna423
    Options

Eating fish of any kind is not being a vegetarian. A true vegetarian does not eat any form of animal products including animal byproducts and any form of animal flesh (including fish).

To the original poster, soy is only bad if you eat a lot of it. There are protein options (for protein powder) that are made from rice or peas.. they tend to be a bit harder to find than whey proteins or soy proteins though. I eat soy products (Veggie Patch products for example) not all that often. You can add things like beans, yogurts, etc to add protein to your diet (although I can't remember from you OP if you eat dairy products).
    Yeah, I didn't think you could eat fish if you're a vegetarian. No fish, but I do eat dairy. Thanks for the advice, everyone.