Bump?

Options
MFP brings a new motivation for working out and eating right. Been on here a month and started a group just to get more people connected in a common goal. Why do people say bump on MFP?

Replies

• jimmyalice1984
    jimmyalice1984 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about the same thing! And what exactly does NSV stand for??? :embarassed:
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    NSV means Non Scale Victory

"Bump" is to keep a thread current - so if someone else has the same question as the OP and it hasn't been answered they might reply with "bump" to move the thread back up to the front of the list in hopes of increasing it's visibility and having someone answer it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It's a mating call.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    It is also puts it in your topics, so you can go back to it later if you want to read.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Bump is what used to happen before I lost 40lbs...into things.....
  • jimmyalice1984
    jimmyalice1984 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

"Bump" is to keep a thread current - so if someone else has the same question as the OP and it hasn't been answered they might reply with "bump" to move the thread back up to the front of the list in hopes of increasing it's visibility and having someone answer it.

aaaahhaaaa!! Thank you :happy:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Using bump to make a thread climb to top of most recent is common internet use. At MFP people who don't understand that will often reply with just "bump" to have the thread show up in their "my topics" page.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Using bump to make a thread climb to top of most recent is common internet use. At MFP people who don't understand that will often reply with just "bump" to have the thread show up in their "my topics" page.
    THIS! People who are "bumping" to save the thread are doing it wrong. BUMP is actually an accronym for Bring Up My Post
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I've been here almost 2 months and I've learned all the other jargon, but I can not figure out what OP stands for? I thought 'other person' but half the time people put it that wouldn't make sense. (in your case it would though)
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump is kind of like TTT :bigsmile:
  • Kitty7814
    Options
    I've been here almost 2 months and I've learned all the other jargon, but I can not figure out what OP stands for? I thought 'other person' but half the time people put it that wouldn't make sense. (in your case it would though)

It should be original poster - I can't think of anything else it could be.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Bump :wink: :laugh:

sorry... I just had to do it...
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It should be original poster - I can't think of anything else it could be.

Thank you!! :D
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    They really should make an MFP jargon sticky.
  • parmeisan
    parmeisan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OP usually means Original Poster but sometimes it means Original Post.
  • apiman
    Options
    Thanks all!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    They really should make an MFP jargon sticky.
    NSV is really the only MFP specific term, and that's really just a generic dieting term, all the other acronyms are just generic "Internet slang," not really MFP jargon. OP, bump, they're all just generic Internet forum abbreviations.

I tend to forget that a lot of people on here have never been on an Internet forum before, as I belong to several, and even own my own...
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump just hold your spot in a thread, so you can go to "Your Topics" and finish reading or whatever. You can note the time on your "Bump" on your profile page, Bottom left hand corner..under your Topics, and then click on it, scroll to the time you posted your bump, and if it is on page 5 of 15, you know you don't have to go back and read the first 5 pages..

Hope that helped-Merry Christmas, BTW.