Feeling hungry? Try oatmeal! (not the instant kind...)

Options
Today I tried old-fashioned oatmeal for the first time and wow is it ever filling! I have had the instant kind and find that pretty filling, but nothing like this. I whipped up a big bowl for myself to meet my calories for the day and have a nutritious post-workout snack. I could only finish half of it!

Lesson: feel like you can't be satiated? Try a nice bowl of slow-cooked oatmeal. (I have pecans, walnuts, and brown-sugar in mine)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I add plain greek yogurt, berries, honey, walnuts and cinnamon to mine. Good stuff!
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon and eggs, fruits and nuts to make oatmeal pancakes and it is delicious and filling
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I always add some peanut butter for some extra protein and filling! keeps me stuffed for hours!!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I eat this every morning with a combination of stuff mixed in. Right now I am adding vanilla soymilk, walnuts, and chia sees. I LOVE it!!!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I add bananas, fresh berries, or flax meal for extra protein. The instant stuff is too processed for me.
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I have oatmeal almost everyday. I buy the 100% whole grain kind and throw a bit of chocolate protein powder in there.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I agree! keeps me full to this AM I added soy milk and a banana! I eat the quick oats mostly, I dont heat it up I like it cold!
  • free8gent
    free8gent Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Some yummy suggestions...especially the peanut butter :smile:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I love Steel Cut Oatmeal!! I always add Frozen Fresh Berrys, Cinnamon and Wheat Germ! It is VERY Versatile! You can add all kinds of things, and even make it in the Crock Pot Overnite so it is ready when you Wake Up -- Or after your Morning Workout.
  • spikethat
    Options
    I add craisins or raisins, brown sugar, and nonfat milk! YUM!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I make myself quick oats at work. I add a splenda, cinnamon, 1 tbsp raisins, and 1 tbsp fat free french vanilla creamer. So good!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. I love eating my Kashi oatmeal though, always can throw in some fruit too :)
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I use the quick oats and I add flaxseed meal and chia seeds and cinnamon. I have this at around 5:30am and it holds me until my lunch of 11:30am - so 6 hours, very nice!

Love it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I cheat and use Coaches Oats...similar look and texture as steel cut, but cooks in about half the time. I pretty much have a bowl every morning for breakfast, along with a banana. Not only filling, but great for reducing high LDL cholesterol and boosting HDL...nice little protein punch there too.
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I love Steel Cut Oatmeal!! I always add Frozen Fresh Berrys, Cinnamon and Wheat Germ! It is VERY Versatile! You can add all kinds of things, and even make it in the Crock Pot Overnite so it is ready when you Wake Up -- Or after your Morning Workout.

Can you give me crockpot instructions? I hate oatmeal, but my cholesterol is high so I thought that I would give it a try. The overnight sounds good to me.
  • droberts3311
    Options
    I use wheat bran, 1/4 cup, cinn, berries, nuts. Seems to last longer for me!:flowerforyou:
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Anything that is high in protein and healthy fat will keep you full longer. I go for a few (usually 3 eggs cooked in a little bacon fat or ghee and a little fruit for breakfast. If you find you are still hungry, try adding a handful of almonds or some almond butter.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oatmeal is definitely a go to breakfast for me when I need lasting energy... I even remember in my pre-kids days when my husband and I had the luxury of going out on 20+ mile mountain bike rides that oatmeal for breakfast stopped me from feeling light headed and jittery when we were done.
  • RoseLady08
    Options
    I understand that you can put oats into a thermos overnight (with boiling water) and it is ready in the morning. This is good for normal oats, and if you put spices, fruits like dryed ones the morning it is a blended taste. Nuts get soggy through. I like a crunchy nut. A Hawaiian mix for example has an improved flavour over time rather than fresh. Good for on the go, can eat on bus, in taxi, or car if other is driving....It is also good for barely and dates.